Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Flu Season & Immunizations

Do doctors have a way to check if you got immunized? My doctor asks every visit about it - if I just tell him "I was" can he verify if I really was?

No, there is no way currently to test if you had the flu vaccine. Don't you know????

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, there is no way currently to test if you had the flu vaccine. Don't you know????

(KLD)
    She/he is trying to avoid telling their doc they didn't have one and doesn't want one.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Right.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 10-31-2012 at 12:37 PM.

If you have a provider you cannot be honest with, I would think about changing providers...

A flu shot is strongly encouraged for everyone at risk; especially those with SCI.

(KLD)

I've never had the flu although I was exposed to it many times. My Dr. had advised me against the flu shot, prior to SCI for this reason. He passed away, however he and my current PCP were friends. I told my current PCP about his advise and he hasn't mentioned a flu shot since. Is it possible to have a natural immunity to the flu virus?

Good thread!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

I'm scared to get the flu but also scared of the shot. A guy on my rugby team had the milon that protects the spinal cord destroyed resulting in SCI. Also I'm afraid of getting flu symptoms afterwards. I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot. Or a pneumonia one for that matter. Maybe before college in '04?

My husband started getting flu shots after his SCI. His PCP and the experts at Craig strongly suggested it and that is good enough for me.
    I've gotten them myself for the last 10 years when they were offered at my job.
    I believe the benefits outweigh the risks and have had no side effects after the shot.

I would recommend the flu shot for those at high risk as defined by the CDC. For many of us as health care professionals it is required depending who you work for. The benefits out way the risk and keep in mind they are not actually giving you an active virus.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I'm scared to get the flu but also scared of the shot. A guy on my rugby team had the milon that protects the spinal cord destroyed resulting in SCI. Also I'm afraid of getting flu symptoms afterwards. I can't remember the last time I had a flu shot. Or a pneumonia one for that matter. Maybe before college in '04?
    Your team mate has TM (transverse myelitis). Yes, some cases of TM are thought to be due to vaccinations. The TM Association is now going over years of data from its members to see if there is some pattern to those cases. Right now we really don't know which vaccines may, MAY, cause TM. And the vaccine suspected cases only account for about 40% of all TM cases.

If you can't get over your fear of the flu vaccines do get one for pnuemonia. Since it is a more recent development the odds of it causing TM are most likely incredibly small.

The who have had GBS in the past are to talk to their neurologists before getting any flu shots.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.