Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012-2013 Flu Season & Immunizations

The CDC recommends that everyone 6 months and older get vaccinated. The agency urges people at higher risk for severe disease -- including young children, pregnant women, anyone with a chronic health problem and the elderly -- to get the vaccine.

That said, it is estimated that the flu vaccine this year is about 60% effective in preventing the flu. That may not seem very effective, but it is better than nothing at all, especially for people with chronic health issues.

Here are seven common flu myths:

Myth #1: The flu vaccine can give you the flu

According to experts at the Harvard Medical School, this one is false. People who get sick after receiving a flu vaccination were going to get sick anyway, they say, but there is a week or two lag time before the vaccination kicks in. So if you do get sick after getting pricked, don’t blame the meds: “The vaccine is made from an inactivated virus that can’t transmit infection.” A city full of sick people, however, definitely can transmit infection.

Myth #2: Chicken soup will fix you right up

Yeah, no. While chicken soup may do wonders for your soul, it has no healing powers at all for a flu, save making a sore throat feel better and perhaps helping you warm up a bit. Staying hydrated and eating is important, though, so by all means, slurp away.

Myth #3: I’m young and healthy, I don’t need a flu shot!

Sadly, like me, you’re an idiot. I have never voluntarily gotten a flu shot in my adult life, and while my track record is sparkling so far, I’m pretty sure the fact that I’m writing this today guarantees I’ll feel lousy tomorrow. Typically health professionals recommend that children, those middle-aged and above, pregnant women, and people prone to illness get a flu shot every year. That’s all well and good, but those same health professionals will tell you that if you’re likely to come in contact with anybody who falls into the above buckets, you should be vaccinated as well just to be safe. So, yeah, that means everyone.

Myth #4: Washing your hands every 5 seconds will help stave off illness

Ding, ding, ding–definitely true. Aside from sealing yourself in a bubble for the next several months and popping anti-viral medication like Skittles, washing your hands every chance you get is an effective, though not fool-proof, preventative measure. Hand sanitizer certainly won’t hurt either. Just don’t clip it to your belt loop–you’re not a paramedic.

Myth #5: No symptoms = no flu

The good folks at Harvard Medical School are shaking their heads in disgust. According to them, “20 to 30 percent of people carrying the influenza virus have no symptoms.” Yet another reason to just go get a flu shot, already.

Myth #6: Feed a cold, starve a fever

False! You’re sick. Poor nutrition is not going to help you get any better.

Myth #7: If you got the flu shot last year, you should be fine

Come on. Like many things that have managed to stick around for a long, long time (read: humans), the influenza virus mutates and adapts each year, meaning that vaccination that protected you last year may be less effective this year.

Source: http://bostinno.com/2013/01/09/bosto...281871_1_0__ss

NL and I got our shots in the fall. Friends and neighbors all around us are down with flu. And while chicken soup doesn't have any healing powers over the flu, those around have been very grateful to receive a steaming container of NL's homemade chicken noodle soup. She's been a busy lady, doling out a couple of gallons this last week.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi everyone, i never had a flu shot that i can remember , i am still recovering from Tm and was told not to get a flu shot. there are a coulple of others where i work out recovering from Tm they were told the same. i would be scared to death getting a flu shot because they never found out what caused my Tm. i am pretty sure i had the swine flue in 1976 cause was very sick body pain was almost as bad as with Tm. i wash my hands all the time i guess thats 1 thing we all can do to protect from getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by TM from PA View Post
    Hi everyone, i never had a flu shot that i can remember , i am still recovering from Tm and was told not to get a flu shot. there are a coulple of others where i work out recovering from Tm they were told the same. i would be scared to death getting a flu shot because they never found out what caused my Tm. i am pretty sure i had the swine flue in 1976 cause was very sick body pain was almost as bad as with Tm. i wash my hands all the time i guess thats 1 thing we all can do to protect from getting sick.
    See my new thread about Tamiflu and Relenza: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=212936

All the best,
    GJ

Exclamation agreed

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have a provider you cannot be honest with, I would think about changing providers...

A flu shot is strongly encouraged for everyone at risk; especially those with SCI.

(KLD)
    This years flu and Uri are epidemic in the mid-Atlantic. I have spent the last. 3 weeks off work and in bed with a Uri that became pneumonia. The first 2 weeks my lungs sounded as if I was drowning. My asthma complicated everything. I am on my 3rd antibiotic and finally recovering a bit. I am exhausted and sleep 18 plus. Hrs a day. Our. Hospitals are full so I have toughed it out at home. As a quad not being able to. Cough has been horrible.
    I had my vaccinations but was one of. The 40% who got the flu.

To anyone who is afraid of the shot I promise you, the shot is easy compared to what I have been through. My flu and pneumonia were not as bd as if I hadn't had the shots.

There is still time, get your. Flu shots. Death is a reality, especially if you live in a state that he been. Hard hit.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I never bothered with flu shots as an AB, even tho I worked in childcare- a germ factory full of an at-risk population. Never until I got a 3 week case of the flu. I am t3 now. Remembering the cough I had then, I honestly think it would have killed me now. I wake up in the night now with a bit of post nasal drip and I am sitting up, leaning over side rail trying to clear it out. I start asking for flu shots in September.