Thread: Acupuncture

Smile Acupuncture

I have been going to acupuncture for about four weeks, and I LOVE it. I am a C5 quad, and although I cannot feel pain per se in my lower extremities, I have slight dysreflexia when he touches a "tender" spot, especially on my toes where there are pressure points for nerve pain. After treatment, -no dysreflexia and less nerve pain! It has markedly reduced the tension in my shoulders, and has noticeably helped digestion and bowel movements. My AB husband goes as well, with positive results for different issues.
    Has anyone else tried it, what for, and what were your results?

Hi,

I am glad that you are getting relief from this as an adjunctive therapy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

AAD

I get treatments before our cruises and i DONT get seasick....when i dont get them i may as well stay on shore.

I started 6 months ago at 2x's a week. I do one every second week now. She also is a Chinese Herbalist. I have had amazing results with my shoulders and health in general. With torn biceps, spinatusus' and othe shoulder stuff; I couldn't raise my arms above mid chest. Now I have like 90% range of motion with little or no pain in the shoulders. One of the best things I've tried.

How do you find a good acupuncturist that doesn't go into a lot of "airy fairy" stuff?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    How do you find a good acupuncturist that doesn't go into a lot of "airy fairy" stuff?

All the best,
    GJ
    I loved acupuncture. I rolled out of there feeling GREAT every time. I went for a few months, about 9 months after being injured. The woman who did mine was a teacher for a school of it here in town.
    Good luck on finding one without the"airy fairy" stuff. Most are very spiritual. If ya don't believe in that stuff just roll with it, its well worth it. Most dont talk to much while your being worked on anyway, because they want you to have a clear mind.
    Sadly medicare/medicaid dont cover it, or massage. Both of which are very beneficial to people with SCI. IMO
    peace
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Mine doesn't go "airy fairy'' but he does talk a lot about body harmony and and balance... what goes in must come out, and that type of thing. I have to admit, it makes sense. I think you just have to try it and see what you think, especially when you leave the office and experience the results. I am lucky that I have major medical insurance that covers it, I just have to pay five dollars a session for the needles.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i tried it once and it gives you a feeling like there is a little "energy" going through you, it does something. unfortunately i cannot afford to do it all the time. reflexology is pretty relaxing too and seems to help some too if you don't like the idea of a bunch of pins stuck in you

Hi GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

All the best,
    GJ
    My Physiotherapist does acupuncture and is paid for by my benefits as Physiotherapy. Even a hospital where I live in Toronto does acupuncture, I hope it becomes more accepted. When my PT went away fo 2 weeks I had another guy PT do my acupuncture and it hurt and even was bruised afterwards. So I will only go to her for treatments.
    Anban-Great to hear it's helping you,
    I feel very relaxed after and almost ready to sleep but my SIL felt good during it then had pain afterwards so it doesn't work on everyone.

Hooray for placebo if it makes you feel better!;-)

Here's what quackwatch.com says about acupuncture:

http://quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html