Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topamax for Neuropathy ?

Question Topamax for Neuropathy ?

Hi, I have read many posts here about using Topamax for neuropathic pain and recently started it and have many questions.

I am currently starting Cymbalta 60 mg 2x/day, Neurontin 1200mg 3x/day (want to get off of this), Nortriptyline 50mg at bedtime, and Lithium Carbonate 300mg 2x/day, and now Topamax 100mg 2x/day.

I've been on the Topamax about 1 week now and noticed a slight effect but my abdomen and legs still burn! How long does it take for to take effect? Would I need to go above 200mg/day? My goal is to get off of the Neurontin but I don't want to start decreasing the dose until I start feeling some effects from the Topamax.

Thx
    Jason

Jason,
    Topomax is a very powerful and nasty drug. I know some use it here. I tried it and the side effects were wicked. They started to rot the nerves of my teeth. I started to get a lot of tooth pain. I went to have my teeth checked and it was the drugs. I came off of them and my teeth were fine. It didn't do anything for my pain. You might want to ask your doctor about Neurotin and Lyrica. If you can, stay away from the meds. Best of Luck

I was dopey on Topamax. I won't ever take any those again if I can help it.

My new doctor called it Dopamax.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    Jason,
    Topomax is a very powerful and nasty drug. I know some use it here. I tried it and the side effects were wicked. They started to rot the nerves of my teeth. I started to get a lot of tooth pain. I went to have my teeth checked and it was the drugs. I came off of them and my teeth were fine. It didn't do anything for my pain. You might want to ask your doctor about Neurotin and Lyrica. If you can, stay away from the meds. Best of Luck
    Hi,

I currently take the max dosage of Neurontin and previously tried the max dosage of Lyrica to no avail.

I take Topamax, Cymbalta, and Baclofen. The Topamax sometimes makes me dizzy.
    Mimi

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    I take Topamax, Cymbalta, and Baclofen. The Topamax sometimes makes me dizzy.
    Mimi, what dosage of Topamax are you on and did you work up to that dosage?

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    I have been taking 100mg of Topomax for about 4 yrs I also take 60mg Cymbalta. They had worked great for me it just seems like lately my nerve pain is a lot more unbearable. Maybe I have been taking them too long? I don't have any negative side effects from the Topomax except for weightloss.

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Hi, did you "ramp up" to this dosage? How long did it take to start feeling an effecT?

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Yes, I "ramped" up to 100mg I take 50mg in the am and 50mg in the pm. I started out just with 50mg and as my pain increased I increased the dose. I even tried above 100mg but did not see any real difference so I just went back to the 100mg dose. With the Topomax I seem to remember getting results rather quick, in a couple weeks or so. Good luck.
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    Hi,

I currently take the max dosage of Neurontin and previously tried the max dosage of Lyrica to no avail.
    What is your doc calling the "max dosage"? You might be surprised to find out what dose some people have ramped up to when they can tolerate it. I have heard 3600mg as a "max", but it's not all that uncommon to go above that when it's being used for neuro pain, sometimes well above.

ETA: I just went back and re-read your first post. As I suspected, you're on 3600. You doc might consider this the max, but I've heard of others going, in extreme cases, up to 9600mg/day. Not saying that high is common, I can only think of two people I've heard of that high, but a number of folks have gone above 4000 or 5000 to gain some benefit. As I said, it's a matter of being able to tolerate it to even see if you get any benefit from the higher dose. Are you having problems with side effects? Why do you say you want to get off of it?