Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods easy for quads to cook

The instant soups made by Dr. McDougall's and Nile Spice
    are good choices when food prep and cooking are difficult.
    I order these from amazon,
    there's a lot of variety in these two lines of products.

I’m a C-5 quad with good wrist flexion and cook all the time now that I live on my own. I recommend getting a counter top induction cook top for easy access to cooking with frying pans, and pots. They use special pans but only the pan heats up so if you somehow knock the unit to the floor or lap it won’t set you on fire like the cheap portable stove elements. And they can be placed on any counter or portable folding table for ease of access. Plus if you splash butter or oil on the element it won’t flame up in your face. Had that happen before trying to get butter in the pan frying hash browns. Also a quality counter top toaster oven is very handy for baking small meals and reheating left over pizza. In fact I like my pizza better the day after toasted crispy in the oven in 5 minutes. As for handling hot pots and pans QUADTOOLS.COM make a great wrist actuated pot holder for quads that works great along with an amazing quad knife that is by far the best knife for those lacking finger function. With this equipment you can make almost any meal you want with ease.

But until then with what you have access to I recommend. Deli sliced turkey, chicken, or roast beef, with caned gravy over instant mashed potatoes with any canned veggie of your choice or skip potato’s and put on toast is good too.
    Eggs and bacon can be microwaved as well as any soup or chili.
    Any kind of sandwich hot or cold.
    Microwave Macaroni and cheese singles with diced ham and broccoli is good too.
    Almost all kinds of pasta can be microwaved in small amounts.
    Mix with choice of sauce pepperoni pieces shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.
    Most stores that sell seafood will steam it free.
    Salads come pre mixed in bags add sliced deli meat shredded cheese and dressing of choice.
    Be creative and there is no end to what you can make.

I love the Ziploc microwave steamer bags. There's also a lot of frozen veggies you can buy already packaged in a microwaveable bag. Grills are good. I use wooden spatulas/spoons so they don't get too hot and you can hold it in your teeth if needed. a rocker knife is easier and safer to cut with.

Safe hot dish transport

This cake taker by Emsa allows me to move hot dishes, even a bowl of soup, in and out of the microwave. I can slip one hand under the straps and use the other arm to stabilize myself while reaching forward. The lid fits tightly into a deep groove in the base, so even if I spill some hot liquid (haven't yet except as a test) the liquid stays contained and I stay dry. It doubles as a microwave splatter guard. I bought it from Amazon.

My kitchen is large but it is not set up for wheelchair friendly cooking or dishes. I make it work. Thankfully we have cabinets all the way around it so I store my dishes and cooking pans ect...in the bottom cabinets and use the upper cabinets as storage for things we never use or that aren't pressing if I have to wait for someone to reach it for me.

I use a cutting board on my lap at all times while I'm cooking. I have a rubber finish over the top of it so that stuff doesn't slide. I just try to be extra careful when carrying boiling pots of water over to the sink to drain. The cutting board has saved my skin more times than I can count.

My microwave is above the stove so I have to be super careful when I use it. I mostly only use the steams bags in the microwave for veggies. I don't eat a lot of microwaved foods.

When I cook on the stove or do dishes I just roll up next to each of them so they are at my side rather than up to them where they are in front of me. I just twist a little while using them. I do dishes as I use them and throw them straight in to the dish washer. The twisting is not hurtful all because I never have to do it for long periods of time since I don't let the dishes stack up. I absolutely hate having dishes in the sink. Washing them as I go makes it much easier for me.

I love cooking with my newwave oven most of the time. It is a table top/counter top oven and works great. I cook meat loaf, chicken, pork, steak, burgers, potatoes ect in it. I also use the vitamix for juices, soups, chopping, mixing ect....both are easy to clean and you can move them to a table to cook rather than the tall counter tops.

Looking back, I wish I had made our kitchen with a roll under sink and stove when we had it built in 2005.

Give the newwave a try. There are not many limits to what you can cook in that thing.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I'm embarking on this journey to very soon. I'll definitely follow up with stuff I come up with :-)
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Combat spills when microwave cooking

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    This cake taker by Emsa allows me to move hot dishes, even a bowl of soup, in and out of the microwave. I can slip one hand under the straps and use the other arm to stabilize myself while reaching forward. The lid fits tightly into a deep groove in the base, so even if I spill some hot liquid (haven't yet except as a test) the liquid stays contained and I stay dry. It doubles as a microwave splatter guard. I bought it from Amazon.

Brilliant! Getting hot stuff out of the micro, especially soup, has been a challenge for me. I've got the scars to prove it!

Scissors are my biggest tool in the kitchen. I need them to open packages, snip herbs, and other leafy veggies sometimes.

New Wave Oven

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post

I love cooking with my newwave oven most of the time. It is a table top/counter top oven and works great. I cook meat loaf, chicken, pork, steak, burgers, potatoes ect in it. I also use the vitamix for juices, soups, chopping, mixing ect....both are easy to clean and you can move them to a table to cook rather than the tall counter tops.

Looking back, I wish I had made our kitchen with a roll under sink and stove when we had it built in 2005.

Give the newwave a try. There are not many limits to what you can cook in that thing.
    I'm excited to hear that this oven works well for you. When I saw the infomercial, I thought it would be ideal. But since I've been disappointed with TV products before, I thought it sounded to good to be true.

Is it easy to use & clean? I'm very interested.

Do not be afraid to make it up as you go along. You have three goals when you enter the kitchen and producing edible food is the lowest of your priorities. First; you must be safe; second (really part of safe) is to be clean; last is to produce edible food. If you have to trash the dish because you were not able to execute it in an acceptable manner, it sure beats getting cut, burned, or a food born disease.

Avoid processed foods if at all possible. If the oven is too daunting, think toaster oven at an accessible level. The hardest thing to do safely is draining pasta or potatoes. The danger can be avoided by using an insert (at the right level where you can lift the cooked food out of the water) or fishing the food out with tongs or a spider. Let the water cool before dealing with it. So you spill pasta water all over the kitchen, it was room temp so a mess but not a trip to the ER.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09