Thread: How to buy pants.

How to buy pants.

So
    I've always relied on my parents. Even when I moved out my mother sent me like 12 modified jeans.

I've lost weight since then, however. Nothing fits well. I hate transfering out of the chair because my pants get all crumled up. It's embarassing to transfer out of friends' cars because my pants always falls or gives me trouble to get it back straight, y'know?

I see guys on youtube clips and TV and what not. Their pants just fit! I want that! I want my pants to fit and not go anywhere.

how do I buy pants?
    do I go into stores -- i can't exactly try them on comfortably...

what do i do!!?!??!?!?!!
    what do you do?

Clothing has been discussed a great deal on Care Cure Community. There are a number of companies who sell adaptive clothing or will make to suit. You will find a lot of thread to read here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=men%2...ci.rutgers.edu

I wear mostly dress trousers (wool wicks moisture) and occasionally cotton twills or chinos. I have worn a waist size 34 Long rise men's pant for years. NL, my wife removes the back pockets and sews the back pockets closed and can alter the waist/hip as necessary. She also removes any suspender buttons or extra buttons inside the pants. I buy unhemmed or uncuffed trousers as long as possible and NL hems them so that when I am sitting the leg length is at my ankle or just a little longer. Having a pants leg that long looks better when you are sitting in the chair, than a length that you would wear standing up.

I don't wear jeans, but there are companies that sell them for people who sit in a chair. Again, check the threads in the link above.

All the best,
    GJ

Buy a whole bunch of sizes mail order, try them on at home and send back the ones that don't fit. THen buy a bunch in the size that do fit.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Buy a whole bunch of sizes mail order, try them on at home and send back the ones that don't fit. THen buy a bunch in the size that do fit.
    thats expensive as the mail is not cheap

Most department stores have liberal, no questions asked return policies. You could achieve the same thing Ami is suggesting locally.

Get a cloth tape measure and measure the pants you are wearing now. Determine how much too big they are, waist, hip, thighs, rise and what the length is. Take the tape measure to a local department store and measure pants that you think might work and compare the measurements. Then take a range of sizes home with you to try on. Return the ones that don't work for you. You may have to do this couple of times, but then you know what you need.

All the best,
    GJ

The "twisty pants" issue is on-going with my son. Whenever he transfers, his pants or shorts get weird and he hates it too! He goes on line and buys the Lucky brand jeans. They have super soft denim and some of the denim is lighter weight. He is a 34" waist, but orders 36" and wears a stretchy belt. He also buys a longer length, 'cuz you know how bad pants can look if they are riding up the leg!! He has also learned how to untwist the pants (a little) so they do look better after a transfer when no one is around to help. Also, it took a long time and mucho $$$$ to find the right jeans that would make him HAPPY! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora View Post
    So
    I've always relied on my parents. Even when I moved out my mother sent me like 12 modified jeans.

I've lost weight since then, however. Nothing fits well. I hate transfering out of the chair because my pants get all crumled up. It's embarassing to transfer out of friends' cars because my pants always falls or gives me trouble to get it back straight, y'know?

I see guys on youtube clips and TV and what not. Their pants just fit! I want that! I want my pants to fit and not go anywhere.

how do I buy pants?
    do I go into stores -- i can't exactly try them on comfortably...

what do i do!!?!??!?!?!!
    what do you do?
    I was told to lay on a bed and measure the waist. That way, everything is spread out as when sitting but much easier to accurately measure.

I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I buy my pants off the shelves nowadays, mostly from Dockers stores. I find that khakis and corduroys and even denims are better than polyster because they don't gather up at the crotch after a couple of hours of wearing them.

For me, there are 2 measurements that are important for a good fit - waist and inseam. I measure my waist sitting up because that is the position I will be in my pants mostly. Getting the inseam right will ensure that the end of the pants is neither too short nor too long. Personally, I like the end to touch my shoe slightly. Once you get those 2 right, you can buy pants off the shelves easily. By the way, my waist size is 33 while the inseam is 34.

The other point to note is whether the waist fastener is secured with a hook or button. I prefer hook because my fingers are not very functional. Buttoning and unbuttoning is an impossibility.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/