Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Be careful

Art you are correct but that figure is only counted towards the "trial work period".

It is so confusing.....

Here is a helpful chart:http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10003.html#a0=1

Under federal law, people who are receiving Social Security benefits who have not reached full retirement age are entitled to receive all of their benefits as long as their earnings are under the limits indicated below. For people born in 1943 through 1954, the full retirement age is 66. The full retirement age will increase gradually each year until it reaches age 67 for people born in 1960 or later.
    2011 2012
    At full retirement age or older No limit on earnings No limit on earnings
    Under full retirement age $14,160
    For every $2 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits. $14, 640
    For every $2 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits.
    In the year you reach full retirement age $37,680
    For every $3 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits until the month you reach full retirement age. $38,880
    For every $3 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits until the month you reach full retirement age.
    Disability beneficiaries’ earnings limits: If you work while receiving disability benefits, you must tell us about your earnings no matter how little you earn. You may have unlimited earnings during a trial work period of up to nine months (not necessarily in a row) and still receive full benefits. Once you have completed your nine-month trial work period, we will determine if you are still entitled to disability benefits. You also may be eligible for other work incentives to help you make the transition back to work.

Substantial Gainful Activity (non-blind) $1,000 per month $1,010 per month
    Substantial Gainful Activity (blind) $1,640 per month $1,690 per month
    Trial work period month $720 per month $720 per month
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

That's trial work period amount, which is ridiculous.
    The amount I am under is $1010. Well unless I were suddenly blinded, then I could make $1690. I don't want to be blinded by no means, but I have often wondered why it is different.
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/COLA/sgadet.html

2011 it was 1000, etc.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Here is a chart
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/COLA/sga.html

Interesting how it started out equal and is now such a gap between the two.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

PS while I am whining, I am not posting this to whine. I want others to be prepared if they decide to work what to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    That's trial work period amount, which is ridiculous.
    The amount I am under is $1010. Well unless I were suddenly blinded, then I could make $1690. I don't want to be blinded by no means, but I have often wondered why it is different.
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/COLA/sgadet.html

2011 it was 1000, etc.
    ?..how can you work and not be on the TWP?
    If they go by gross you be way over right?
    I have seen people lose it only making 200.00 a month.
    They dangle that carrot in your face then get you down the road.

;
    Art

I make 1120 - 1200 a month, minus some deductions for out of pocket medical things which brings me down to about 950. Unless my check is 3 times a month, I have a conference or whatever. So about 2 - 3 times a year I went over.
    It's hard enough with 2 kids living on that. SSDI is a help and a PITA for someone like me who didn't pay in a lot being a stay at home mom for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I make 1120 - 1200 a month, minus some deductions for out of pocket medical things which brings me down to about 950. Unless my check is 3 times a month, I have a conference or whatever. So about 2 - 3 times a year I went over.
    It's hard enough with 2 kids living on that. SSDI is a help and a PITA for someone like me who didn't pay in a lot being a stay at home mom for so long.
    Wish you all the luck in the world with this mess......GL
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    You might consider enlisting the help of any constituent services offered by your member of congress and your Senators.
    It is a messed up system and has been for a long time.

I agree with FO, it is worth a try to attempt to get constituent services involved on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    ?..how can you work and not be on the TWP?
    If they go by gross you be way over right?
    I have seen people lose it only making 200.00 a month.
    They dangle that carrot in your face then get you down the road.

;
    You have 9 months of TWP and for it to count as a month you have to make more than $720. But at the end of the TWP if you are making less than $1010 a month, you still keep your SSDI..

Does that make sense?

They used to do an average over the last 12 months to get your monthly income they use to see if you are over the $1010. I don't think they do that anymore because lots of people have been hit with overpayments for the months that they have three paydays in a month. The averaging system used to keep you from losing your benefits.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Is this a state-by-state thing? If I ever made any money working, they deduct that from my disability check.