Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Be careful

Be careful

Stupid social security f*&***s.
    I work and I draw a check, so do my kids. I work part time. I have a few medical expenses to get me under the blasted $1000 a month I am allowed to earn.

Guess what on the months when I happen to get 3 checks in a month (say payday falls on the 1st 15 th and 29th) they are claiming I am over and taking back my checks for these months even though it is obvious the work was done the month before. It seems to me there should be some kind of formula for this.
    For some reason they decided to go back all 5 years doing this even though every year I submit my little 30 cent raise which triggers a review.

So now they they say I owe and I won't be getting any checks for many months. I thought they could only take a percentage of your check, but when I call in they have never heard of such.

Working, I can't decide sometimes if its worth it. Then again, I will be glad when I can get a full time job and not have to stay under their thumbs.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Stupid social security f*&***s.
    I work and I draw a check, so do my kids. I work part time. I have a few medical expenses to get me under the blasted $1000 a month I am allowed to earn.

Guess what on the months when I happen to get 3 checks in a month (say payday falls on the 1st 15 th and 29th) they are claiming I am over and taking back my checks for these months even though it is obvious the work was done the month before. It seems to me there should be some kind of formula for this.
    For some reason they decided to go back all 5 years doing this even though every year I submit my little 30 cent raise which triggers a review.

So now they they say I owe and I won't be getting any checks for many months. I thought they could only take a percentage of your check, but when I call in they have never heard of such.

Working, I can't decide sometimes if its worth it. Then again, I will be glad when I can get a full time job and not have to stay under their thumbs.
    You might consider enlisting the help of any constituent services offered by your member of congress and your Senators.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Good to know. Something to watch out for, and had not considered.

They should be able to figure this out fairly tho! Most people making <$1000 a month are working at an hourly wage. They should turn the number into an average number or something. Paycheck/number of days in pay period or something. So if you get 3 paychecks, (in your case) you would have 42 days in that "pay-month", 2 checks it is a 28 day one.

People getting paid weekly, w/ 5 paydays in a month would have the same issue.

Oh, and agree w/ FoolishOld .... can you appeal, write to your congressman, whatever? Any and everything. Do the math, proving that you still made the same amount for the days you worked in the month, etc.

Also, aren't you allowed to go over a certain # of times? Did they look at that?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

If you are not working above SGA and are eligible for a benefit payment for the 37th month of the EPE, you will continue to receive benefits until you:

Work a month at the SGA level, or
    Be careful they don't screw you with this!

http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-...t-supports.htm
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I was always told if you are disabled.....you could not work at all.
    I have warned people before about this....you take the risk of losing everything.
    All you can do now is talk to a lawyer.
    Art

Been here and doing this too...I sent you a PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yes I am highly aware of the rules, but not this one. I have been deducting medical expenses to be sure i never went over and most times was way under. I never realized it was by when you got the money, not when you worked. It is not averaged. I will be in big trouble for this year too, for a few months I worked a small side job, took off without pay at my job so the money was even, but didnt get paid until much later.

I also got dinged bc my company gives us a travel allowance in our check when we go to conferences. It looks like I made 300 extra dollars during those months. I contested that this is unearned income. Who knows what they will say about that.
    Its just ridiculous that by making 300 too much I have to pay back 1400. What logic does that make?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

That 36 month thing doesn't make a lot of sense. Technically I haven't made over sga since I have deducted expenses, but who knows. Very annoying.

Its also ridiculous that with my check I am self sufficient. Without it I go back on foodstamps and the kids are eligible for medicaid again. Does that make any sense to anyone? I didnt think so.

For 2012, the monthly earnings amount that we use to determine if a month counts as a TWP month is $720 per month. The 2012 self-employment earnings or activity that we use to determine if a month counts as a TWP month is $720 per month or 80 hours per month.
    Took this from the site sjean423 has up.
    Art