Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 year old son about to finish rehab

Quote Originally Posted by Blythe716 View Post
    Does anyone else put their children in boxers or underwear? He's been dry with cathing q.4 hours on ditropan. It makes him feel good about himself, but I know a neurogenic bladder can change and I'd hate to see him embarrassed by an accident when he starts kindergarten this Monday.
    if he is staying dry I would just talk with him and tell him things can change and you might could get some pads to put in his underwear that would allow him to wear regular underware

Does anyone else put their children in boxers or underwear? He's been dry with cathing q.4 hours on ditropan. It makes him feel good about himself, but I know a neurogenic bladder can change and I'd hate to see him embarrassed by an accident when he starts kindergarten this Monday.
    Yes, my son generally wears normal underwear, sometimes with pads as per djrolling's suggestion. Over the years at school he's had a few accidents, but so have other non-SCI children, so I don't think it's as big a deal as you might think (although others may disagree with me there).

Suggest you always have a change of clothes available for him at school (and a spare cushion cover), just in case.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Keep up the excellent work Blythe!

Hello Blythe,

You've come to the right place! The people here are nothing short of amazing. My son Robbie is a T4 complete, he was 14 when injured, 17 now. You will ge the best info here so keep asking questions.

If you just need to chat mom to mom please pm me, Id be happy to provide support anyway I can.

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    You've come to the right place! The people here are nothing short of amazing. My son Robbie is a T4 complete, he was 14 when injured, 17 now. You will ge the best info here so keep asking questions.
    Hi Sharon...just so you know, I read your posts with interest as future ways of dealing with my son...keep up the good work!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

We prefer a Depends style pad for protection at school but my daughter is a teen. She doesn't have many accidents but we decided not to risk it at all at school and the pads slid around on her a lot.

She only wears protection on school days.

I unfortunately have been prone to an occasional accident. I always wear black pants, always. No one but I can tell, and try to change as fast as possible, but within an hour or two.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Hi Blythe

Sorry that you and your son have found yourself in this position. Anyway My son was 4 when he was injured. He catherise himself and wears pads (Tenas) in his boxers. We have the odd accidents bladder and bowel but they don't happen that often that he needs to wear nappies.

He did wear nappies originally into school before he could cath himself but the kids start calling him a baby because they could see the nappy when he bent over / moved around. The school dealth with it and also wearing boxer means he is more self aware to do something about an "accident" before anyone notices. When he wore nappies he wouldn't say anything to his pa.

If I can be of any help let me know. I will PM you