Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First ride ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    You look terrific on that bike! You have big feet ... you know what they say ... lol (sorry).
    You crack me up. I love the way you seem to have such a passion for life now and your humor, you've come a long way baby.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

right on johnC! A fellow FreedomRyder here, got my bike last spring. Nothing like the wind in your face and miles under your wheels. I remember I was the same way, nervous as hell but it completely changed my outlook on this life. I had mine in the mountains a couple times this year and moved to the suburbs 2 months ago to be able to enjoy rides more outside of the rat-race.

I just always think to myself when riding - "this is awesome, no one knows I'm handicapped, I'm just a wierdo that wants to build his upper body strength". I invite stares, kids all chase me, women all smile and other dudes want one. A great feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    The first ride is pretty amazing isn't it? You picked the right bike. As far as your brakes go, Bike-on.com is now selling a brake adapter kit where you simply back pedal to stop, it is quite the rig, they are patent pending on it. You might want to get in touch with them about purchasing it and I believe a regular bike shop could install it for you fairly easily, I may be wrong but you should get in contact with them.
    i dont think its compatable, not yet anyway.

fyi- whatever u do go disc.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John, what do you mean with go disc? Can I switch the disc cable over to the the hand brake instead of use the brake that grips the edge of the rim? Maybe Patrick can chime in.

I do have wrist wraps, I figured how much damage could I do just going around the block.....well, plenty. Lesson learned, always wear the wraps.

Yes, I do know what they say "big hands big feet" I think it's big sock and big gloves!

First time on a handcycle is one of those great feelings.....and I LOVE my Freedom Ryder - great bikes.

Yes you can change the cables anyway you want John. Not sure why you'd want to do that. The disc cable should be routed to your brake/cassette shifter on the handle of the cranks while the rim brake/chainring shifter should be on the bottom bracket "tree".

You're looking really good. I think the footrests need to go just a little further out, if possible with your length, and the cranks just a little higher if possible.

You look really good on it. I'm in the process of completley rebuilding my FRH with a few upgrades. One being a larger 185mm disc rotor for better stopping power since I use the Powerpod at faster speeds.

There is such animosity between Top End and Freedom Ryder I think they make their handcycles expressly so there is no interchanging of parts. With the new brake system being Bike-On it may.

I love my Freedom Ryder. With the Top Ends, it seemed I was forever adjusting or modifying to make it more efficient. With the FRH, it was just a matter of one or two adjustments and that was it. I used to break cables and that faunky rubber steering dampneon the T/E. Not so with my F/R.

I did love the service I got from Chris Peterson before he sold out and would have no hesitation in buying another T/E if they came out with a higher seat other than the Pro.

This is going to change you life John. Congrats.

Congrats JohnC1! I just ordered my bike and I hope to have my first ride before the snow flies. I am going to use Fuentejps electric hoist idea too. Do you use your hoist with your van? I would greatly appreciate a video of your transfer for an idea how to build mine

We are starting a trend here: name John, C6 quad, and handbike

ya, i need to make an updated video too. we do it soooo freakin easily now.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Would like some insight on a lift also. I just got an old VMI Excel scooter lift that we are going to modify. Currently it only swivels and raises and lowers the strap but we are going to mount a mini boom system to it, like my truck has, to be able to also get in an out of a side x side (Can-am Commander). The idea it to mount it on the left front top rail of the utility trailer. That way I can ride both a handcycle and side x side somewhere else besides the house.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

this is where i worked the idea from. this guyy was a big help. this shows the ease of the sling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebREARTfhkA

heres another idea too, this is basically what we use just not on rollers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebREARTfhkA
    http://www.tetrasociety.org/devices/...id=588&cat_id=
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com