Thread: Bowel Issues

Bowel Issues

So for the last 2-3 weeks I have had pretty soft stool. I do manually evac everyday and it's really mess and I don't get much out. I have been taking Metamucil and Miralax for the last week. All that has really done is maybe increase the amount of soff stool to evac and causes me to have small soft stool accidents. Any ideas???

Should. March I started taking Miralax bc I wasn't getting any out but when I did there was very little. When I did get some it was super soft and not much. The Miralax as resulted in more but still very soft which makes sense since it softens stool. I am off of the Miralax and started Metamucil bc I still get little results and when I do still have a few results and very soft.

Maybe you don't need the Miralax. It is a laxative and it can be habit forming. According to an article at PubMedHealth, Miralax is"Polyethylene glycol 3350. It is used to treat occasional constipation. Polyethylene glycol 3350 is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing water to be retained with the stool. This increases the number of bowel movements and softens the stool so it is easier to pass."

Have you tried using Magic Bullets or Enemeez mini enemas instead of just manual evacuation. Manual evacuation may not be removing all the stool from your lower colon. Magic Bullets suppositories or Enemeez will promote natural peristalsis that will help move the stool down into the rectal vault to be evacuated. The natural contraction and relaxation of peristalsis can cause less trauma and not be a messy.

Where do you do your bowel program? Do you sit on a toilet, commode chair, or lie in bed? Sitting up can help more natural stool removal as well.

Edit: I just read your second post. If you aren't taking Miralax any longer, it may be that manual evacuation is not getting all the stool in the lower colon into the rectal vault to be removed. The result is that you have residual stool that can cause accidents. Consider trying either Magic Bullets or Enemeez.

Are you taking any medications that can cause soft stools? What is your diet? Metamucil should help to regulate and balance the softness of the stool. Metamucil is often recommended to help with constipation and control diarrhea.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Diet is already pretty good. Never had problems with not removing enough stool. I do it once a day with a toilet chair. Hopefully it will calm down in the next day or two. I tried magic bullet in the beginning and even started using half and I would have magic bullet accidents. Maybe if it doesn't get better I will look into getting enmyema

Here is the website for Enemeez
    http://www.enemeez.com/

They have a good patient support and free sample program.

All the best,
    GJ