Thread: Transverse Myelitis again

Transverse Myelitis again

Can someone please explain me in a simple way what this is? I have never heard about it before I came to this site.

I am curious because I got my spinal cord damage in an unknown way and noone can see anything in the MRI now or in my tests 35 years ago.

I have googled but the explainations is too difficult for me to understand and there is no information in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Woman from Europe,

Tranverse myelitis is simply a descriptive term. It means that there has been damage to the white matter across (tranverse) the spinal cord so that there is loss of function starting at a level of the spinal cord. In many ways, transverse myelitis is just like spinal cord injury in terms of consequence but not in terms of cause. Most of the people who get transverse myelitis have no idea what the cause is. They did not get trauma or have a consistent history of vascular problems. It happens more in young people than in older people and does not show the typical symptoms of a spinal cord stroke resulting from occlusion of a blood vessel. It is more common in children and teenagers than in adults. It also happens fairly often in people with inflammatory diseases such as lupus erythematosis. It is a diagnosis that is often applied when most other known causes of spinal cord injury have been ruled out. In children, there is a high correlation between the presence of transverse myelitis and the presence of a viral infection.

The theory that I subscribe to is that transverse myelitis is due to inflammation of the blood vessels in the spinal cord. It typically causes a lesion in the upper thoracic spinal cord but can involve the lower spinal cord as well. It is more common that most studies suggest. For example, if one were to believe that this occurs at the rate of less than one per million people, we should expect less than 250 cases per year in the United States. Based on personal experience, I think that there are many more cases.

In my opinion, people with transverse myelitis would benefit from the same therapies that people with traumatic or compressive spinal cord injury would benefit from. They require acute neuroprotective, reqenerative, and remyelinative therapies, as well as neuronal replacement if the condition affects the cervical and lumbosacral spinal cord.

Wise.

idiopathic TM is merely a condition, not a definitive diagnosis. For instance, people with TM due to viral or autoimmune reasons usually recover substantially with quick and timely steroid treatment, However, a spinal avm can mimic TM, a misdiagnosis which as in my case is usually irreversible damage to the spinal cord due to lack of proper blood flow. If someone's case of TM was left unanswered with substantial paralysis, it is more than likely that you suffered a spinal avm, ischemia, then infarction. In this case, no treatments can restore lost function. The injury ends up being more severe than any contusion and/or compression sci. The damage to the gray matter is widespread and drastic, thus excluding any hope of recovery even with these pipeline sci treatments on that endless horizon.

sherman brayton