Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this chair make any sense to you?

Does this chair make any sense to you?

I found this Craigslist positing a few days ago and I've been trying to figure out what kind and shape of person would use it.

http://reno.craigslist.org/hab/3216571627.html

What kind of disability would give someone really long thighs and tiny shins? Amputee? But then why the footplate? And what's up with the backrest position and COG? And why is that couch so gross?

So many questions.

I'd bet that their are a lot of inner city chair users with various disabilities that piece chairs together any way they can manage. You probably see lots of this kind of stuff in 3rd world countires as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I found this Craigslist positing a few days ago and I've been trying to figure out what kind and shape of person would use it.

What kind of disability would give someone really long thighs and tiny shins? Amputee? But then why the footplate? And what's up with the backrest position and COG? And why is that couch so gross?

So many questions.
    scarily enough, that's probably one of the nicest couches in Reno.

also, nice ramp to a pothole in the other pic. accessibility is fun.
    Last edited by feisty; 09-10-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Yeah...uh...wow. It looks titanium, but wow.... Either the DME screwed this one up epicly, or the user has some unusual body porportions. If I used it my legs would be out straight in front of me!
    Last edited by voxina; 09-11-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Look how far back the COG is set.

I'd bet this chair was used by an amputee.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Look how far back the COG is set.

I'd bet this chair was used by an amputee.
    Yes, the COG is far back, but the axle is set far forward on the axle plate. Why all that space behind the axle and backrest?

And if it is an amputee's chair, why the special footplate?

dunno.

maybe b/c he/she bought it used & modified it?

the upholstery sticks out way behind the backrest too.

odd setup indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post

So many questions.
    I yelped out loud the instant I saw this! Oh my god, what the heck? That's got to be a bit of a franken-chair or put together by someone who doesn't use a chair for some one who needs one or, I don't know what. I cannot figure how that would work for some one. But I have seen people very badly fit in chairs and they just expect that's what is normal so they ride with their knees high up near their chest or legs all splayed or legs crammed in to a tiny footrest. Some people just don't know.

On the other hand some folks set their chairs up in a way that doesn't make sense to anyone else or according to the rules but it works for them. A friend has a COG that makes his front end feel like there's a sack of concrete on the footrest and he rides with fat knobby tires half inflated. It helps with his spasms and his pain he says. He's been all around the world with his chair. So I go back to, whatever works for you, is the right thing. Despite what totol1 would say.

Maybe the individual had a unique medical situation that required such a chair
    Being as adjustable as it is ? Definitely unique ...Ok Original
    I look at it and if it works for someone then that's all that really matters .

I want mine to have a 2/14 tow hitch