Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Which handcycle for me?

Which handcycle for me?

Which handcycle would you recommend?

I go on crushed stone paths with some steep hills. I don't have the use of my abdominal muscles (T7 complete).

I'm thinking Top End Force, Freedom Ryder FRH-1, Top EndXLT Pro.
    Any others to look at?
    Rich

Also-

Are there tires good for dirt and stones that will work with the Freedom Ryder?
    Rich

New Force CC it would be much better then the Force on what you are looking at riding on.

I would not rule out the Varna http://www.bromakin.co.uk/node/64 I know bike-on.com sells these. The Force CC looks nice, but is very expensive. I have a freedom Ryder FRH1, but to be honest I dont think there is clearance to get a very wide tire on the front wheel, you could call Freedom Ryder and ask them about this, it is a definately really a great bike. Reason I suggested the Varna is I use to have a varna speedbike and had great luck with it and they make ones with even wider tires than the Varna II I posted.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

They can put Mt. wheels on a FRH, they use the 559's instead of the 571's. With the ones you mentioned Rich, I would go FRH hands down. The force is wayyy to low for the roads you ride and the Pro is such an old design, it's pathetic they still offer it. The turning on a Pro is horrible in that the legs always lift up as you turn. I've owned at 6 of 'em, loved them when they were the fastest bike out there. Now, new designs have come along. For the height clearance and types of roads I'd look at FRH seriously.

Freedom Ryder only makes handcycles. Top End makes a whole catalog of stuff. Chris Peterson has done wonders with the racing community but has forgotten, imo, we recreational riders. I feel the Top End CC coming out is just a knee jerk reaction to losing a lot of customers.

Top End is Tops for racing; for off road or gravelly tight turns, there are many others more suitable. .

Have you looked at Intrepid, Mark B had one made for off road and his Power Pod. They are considerably less than the bikes you mentioned. Agree the FRH-1 is a great bike, had mine since 2006.
    Last edited by Craig80; 05-10-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pararich View Post
    Also-

Are there tires good for dirt and stones that will work with the Freedom Ryder?
    I rode my Freedom Ryder up this hill, using standard road tires. While they were not ideal, it did show me that you can get alot done with less than you think. Some pretty average intermediate tires would work well....in other words you might not need aggressive off-road tires.

And forgive me pimping my Power Pod......just ignore all that;

Quote Originally Posted by pararich View Post
    Which handcycle would you recommend?

I go on crushed stone paths with some steep hills. I don't have the use of my abdominal muscles (T7 complete).

I'm thinking Top End Force, Freedom Ryder FRH-1, Top EndXLT Pro.
    Any others to look at?
    I have not taken this off-road yet. I wrote a bit of a review of it here.

Cost is about $2k for the basic model and $2.8k for the one I have.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=184481&page=2

I am having problems with my knees that are limiting my turning circle; but I think others would get better results than me.