Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing over to a 559 Front wheel on Handcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hey John, guess what. I took my wheel off today, got it straightened went for a ride and couldn't shif to the lower 2 cogs like you emailed me earlier about. Didn't do anything different. Looking at the brake it looks like the wheel may have been out further or something. Did you ever get if figured out? Haven't checked it out but man what else could go wrong today with the bike.

There's a 160 rotor on it now but will upgrade to a 185 when I change over. Did you order your Sugino cables from the net or your bikeshop?
    nope, i havent got mine straight. i have it shifting smooth up but weont come down off big ring, i have to double shift to get down. i have the usaf marathon saturday, so i stopped messing with it, was afraid i'll brake something. scott thinks its because i cant get derailluer to 2mm of the outer ring. im around 5-7 mm. i'll tear completely down next week.
    i dont have sugino, i cant even find them. do u have a link?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I may have been mistaken, I thought yo u used Sugino cables. What brand are you using?

Called my Workers Comp. They'll re-imburse me for the rebuild. Good news. Good luck at the USAF. Looking forward to hear how you did.

Looking at rear bolt on hubs. I can only find Nimble, American Classic and Phil Woods. May go with AMerican Classic or Nimble.

Any others out there?

pat, i think i fixed it. i added 2 links and the dam thing is shifting now.
    i have the am classics and corimas both bolt on, i thought all were bolt on.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am getting closer to ordering the build. I don't want to go with American Classic hubs as they only come in a 24 spoke capability. I want 28 because of the added weight of the batteries for the powerpod.

So will be going with a Mavic 717 559 rim with double butted stainless steel spokes with Phil Wood hubs.

Ther are two types of hubs, high flange and standard. I've been thinking hi flange as it may make the wheel a bit stiffer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

For the front wheel am looking at a Mavic 717 32 spoke rim and still undecided for a hub. I looked at the Hope Evo2 pro but was around 300.00. I'm not racing so don't need a hub like that.
    The Shimano deore hub F/r uses is around 40.00. I'd like to spend around 120 or so.

I thought it might have been chain length John but you had ridden the bike before with no changer problems. You're not riding with the chain in the large chainring and large cog are you or what they call "cross chaining". I have mine set so I can't cross chain.

Ordered the wheels as above but went with an XT front hub rather than a 300 dollar one.

Looking at tires now something durable. Probably a Schwalbe 420. Would like to find something in the 120 psi range. Suggestions

Ordered the wheels as above but went with an XT front hub rather than a 300 dollar one.

Looking at tires now something durable. Probably a Schwalbe 420. Would like to find something in the 120 psi range. Suggestions
    In 1.35" wide this durano will be ok too, i think will give a better ride than the green marathon you have said.
    Assuming your rides are in paviments roads.
    Last edited by totoL1; 09-15-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks T. Says they only go up to 95 psi. Would have liked a bit more psi. Perhaps I'm just too used to the higher pressue.

I used wheelchair tires ,Chengs I think, when I went to 540's years ago. I thought the Marathon w/c tires went up more than 95psi.

Thanks T. Says they only go up to 95 psi. Would have liked a bit more psi. Perhaps I'm just too used to the higher pressue.

I used wheelchair tires ,Chengs I think, when I went to 540's years ago. I thought the Marathon w/c tires went up more than 95psi.
    They two go up to 95psi,The HS420 looks more speedy, probably because have less puncture protection and less weight.
    Well if you want more pressure go for a right run for example.

I think I'm going with the Marathon Plus because they are basically bullet proof. I'm not worried about weight and rolling resistance anymore because I use juice (powerpod) now.