Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing over to a 559 Front wheel on Handcycle

Is your brake an Avid or what John. 185mm rotor thanks. Where did you order the Sugino cables? I sent an "E" to Wheelbuider.com for a possible quote.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 09-08-2012 at 10:11 PM.

As mentioned, cable disc brakes are plenty strong, and they are easier (and cheaper) to buy, adjust, and maintain.

As for flatting 650c... Where I live, there are thorns EVERYWHERE (ie. "goatheads"). The method I use to avoid flats is to use what locals call "the system." Simply put, it's a tire inside of a tire. I take a 650x20c tire, cut the bead off, and put it inside of a 650x23c tire. I try to use 20c tires with a thin sidewall (usually a Continental). I virtually never get a flat from a puncture. It's usually just a failure of the tube itself (ex. an old tube that develops a leak at the valve stem or a mold seam.) It's kind of a hassle to get set up, and the ride isn't exactly supple, but it keeps me rolling down the road instead of changing constant flats. I would recommend giving it a try before changing your whole wheel setup.

I have those also TWL; for years lol. It's the pinch flats that get me. I've lowered the pressure the whole bit. This is nothing new, been having them since they started putting on 650c's 25 yrs ago. Esp. with the faster speed of the powerpod, the cracks and divots in the pavement get me. I've got most of them memorized from all theyears of riding the same roads but every once in a while they get me. I used to change out the wheels to a 540 cause the 559's weren't available then.

It'll make things a lot easier actually. I'll be able to put on a much cheaper, more durable tire; could even be a rightrun that I use on my chair and schrader tubes. I used 540 Chens on the last one I changed over, never had a flat after that.

I bet those thorns are a pain for sure. Here in Washington it's the cracks in the roads that are the bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Esp. with the faster speed of the powerpod, the cracks and divots in the pavement get me...
    I bet those thorns are a pain for sure. Here in Washington it's the cracks in the roads that are the bugger.
    I didn't even think about that! I'd love to try a PowerPod setup some day to see the kind of speeds one can roll at. The videos are impressive. I don't think I've ever pinch-flatted from hitting a crack or pothole. I'll have to remember that next time I'm complaining to myself about the condition of the roads out here in the desert! I once hit a seam hard enough to dent my rim, but it didn't pinch-flat. Then again, I was also running thorn-resistant tubes (on a 700c wheel). Those tubes are heavy as heck but are tough to pinch.

So, how big of a tire will you be able to run on the FR (and still clear the fork)? You'll put 559 on the rear, too, right? It would be great to have all FOUR tires/tubes the same size. Maybe some 1.25 or 1.5"?

Yes avid bb7 pat
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Won't put on rear 559's til later. The larger front tire profile should help with the difference. I'm not sure what I'll run, could be even a Marathon Plus w/c tire. The main need is high pressure, thicker sidewall and better choice in typr of tire. With 650c the only tire available that will fit is a thin walled racing tire.

I have a request in to Wheelbuilder.com for a quote and will also see what my bike shop would charge. Last wheel was around 350.00 if I go with a Shimano Deore hub. WHich may be okay since I'm not planning on racing.

Thanks, John, I think that's teh same one I have so may just have to change to a better brake pad.

My Lasher has both cable and hydro, the cable is for a parking brake/ emer brake and the hydro is a Avid Code 4. The Avid is awesome but not without needing some love, it's had to be bled shortly after I got the bike and then the Master Cyl. started leaking and had to be replaced. Avid picked up the part but not the labor. It's actually an interesting setup as they both share the same disc. When I was using the cable brake while the hydro was down it was plenty powerful.

One of the rears was flat when I went to get on today. No spare tube for the first time that I can remember. Went and bought a can of sealer and the bike shop straightened out my front wheel while I waited. Got home, put the hose of the sealer over the valvee and of course sprayed it every where. THought it was fixed but 7 miles out, it was 1/2 flat. GRRR.

Spoke with my bikeshop and am getting a quote for a 559 with a good 559 rim, d/b stainless spokes and a medium priced hub. Rears trustfully will be with same rim, Nimble Spider hubs with d/b spokes.

My workers Comp. paid for the bike so I'm sure they'll cover the cost of the re-build. It's time for new cables etc. after the thousands of miles I've put on it in the last four years.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 09-09-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Won't put on rear 559's til later. The larger front tire profile should help with the difference. I'm not sure what I'll run, could be even a Marathon Plus w/c tire. The main need is high pressure, thicker sidewall and better choice in typr of tire. With 650c the only tire available that will fit is a thin walled racing tire.

I have a request in to Wheelbuilder.com for a quote and will also see what my bike shop would charge. Last wheel was around 350.00 if I go with a Shimano Deore hub. WHich may be okay since I'm not planning on racing.

Thanks, John, I think that's teh same one I have so may just have to change to a better brake pad.
    what size rotor are you using
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hey John, guess what. I took my wheel off today, got it straightened went for a ride and couldn't shif to the lower 2 cogs like you emailed me earlier about. Didn't do anything different. Looking at the brake it looks like the wheel may have been out further or something. Did you ever get if figured out? Haven't checked it out but man what else could go wrong today with the bike.

There's a 160 rotor on it now but will upgrade to a 185 when I change over. Did you order your Sugino cables from the net or your bikeshop?