Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backrest angle/height

Backrest angle/height

I have a jay 3 back with lateral supports. Right now when I sit in my chair I have to hunch forward because the top of the cushion pushes against my back, causing my head, neck and upper body to curve forward. I can't have my arms in front of me either because I will fall forward. It's driving me crazy. I can't tell what the angle is, but should I adjust the backrest so it's opened up more? Is it a height issue? If the backrest is too low I arch over it when pushing and tip backwards.
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

Can you make adjustments yourself? Do you have the super adjustable hardware? (I watched their video just last night.) As with all wheelchair adjustments, do one small adjustment at a time, and test how it affects you.

Attachment 46435
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I have the Jay J3 back. I have the posterior mid-thoracic model. No laterals. It is fairly easy to adjust. I have the standard hardware. The DME has the height set a few inches below my shoulder blades.
    Mimi

Thanks for posting that video! I'm on an ipad so I can't watch it now, but I will.

I can't tell what height I have. I have a hard time with backrests because if they're too low I arch over the back, and I think this one might be too high because I cannot sit upright because it's pushing on my upper back, but I'm not sure. I have yet to find a comfortable sitting position. I just got a ride designs cushion, so we had to raise the back to make room for the cushion, which might be causing some issues. Where should backrests usually hit a person's back? I know it differs based on level of injury, but are there some general rules about that? I'm a C7 incomplete quad with okay trunk control.

And yes, I have the adjustable hardware. I can't do the adjustments, but my boyfriend can.

Your boyfriend shouldn't have any trouble, it's very easy. Does sound like it needs reangled. Do you have any custom pads velcro'd inside? They may need adjusted after you angle it back. I recently had to change up my back after getting a taller cushion, and ran into a similar problem where the top pushed into me and hurt, making me lean forward. Once I fixed the angle it was great again.

Mine has no laterals, mid thoracic height and adjusted to the edge of my shoulder blades. I am not paralyzed, but need a lot of back support due to scoliosis and instability.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

He adjusted it very very slightly and it feels better, but now I feel almost too reclined. I now lean off the backrest a little to type. Maybe that's normal though? For a long time I sat with an anterior pelvic tilt, but since fiddling with stuff I sit much more posteriorly now which is much more comfortable. When he gets home I'll have him take some pics.

Uh oh

Wow...adjusting the backrest a teeny tiny amount made it so that my right ischial is not being offloaded by my ride design cushion anymore. That really really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    I have a jay 3 back with lateral supports. Right now when I sit in my chair I have to hunch forward because the top of the cushion pushes against my back, causing my head, neck and upper body to curve forward. I can't have my arms in front of me either because I will fall forward. It's driving me crazy. I can't tell what the angle is, but should I adjust the backrest so it's opened up more? Is it a height issue? If the backrest is too low I arch over it when pushing and tip backwards.
    I'm in a similar as yours...I've yet to find a backrest height/angle combo that I'm completely comfortable with. Too low and my shoulder cliffs over and too high, I hunch forward. I think I'm driving myself crazy trying to find a "happy" medium.

My guess is that you're being pushed forward with a backrest that's too high and too upright.

Your decision will ultimately depend on what your priority is. If you want long-term benefits with good posture, a lower back with an upright angle is best. But, if you want comfort and stability, go with a higher backrest with an obtuse angle. Even with a high back, it should not go above your scapula.

From personal experience with the Jay 3 hardware it can be very difficult sometimes to only change one option. The hardware is very simple, tons of options, but the overlap makes it easy to mess up something else. That's how I messed up my angle in the first place. Wait, thinking back I actually think it was adjusting the depth that messed up the angle, since my new cushion was longer I tried moving the backrest forward so I wouldn't get irritation behind my knees. Has your depth of anything changed?

Do you have any custom velcro options inside the padding? I do, so that was something I had to tweak into the correct spot again after adjustment.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.