Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Tilite ZRA one Pics

Quote Originally Posted by voxina View Post
    Is there a way you can modify anti-tips so you can ride en-wheelie on them? I've got iffy balance and involuntary movements that make it so I'm unsure if it will ever be safe to ride without anti-tippers, but I love the idea of the mobility being able to do wheelies and curb jump would give me.
    Yep, just rotate the anti-tippers up further. Then you may want to adjust your COG to make the chair more tippy. Here's my son showing you how a wheelie is done with anti tippers...(and yes, he curb jumps too...!).

http://youtu.be/wzvRPOYtb4I
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

He's quite good at em from the looks of it! Is that a kid's size Icon? He's such a cute little guy!
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

He's quite good at em from the looks of it! Is that a kid's size Icon? He's such a cute little guy!
    Yep, since he got the Icon (about 2 months ago) his wheelies have improved dramatically, helped by all the adjustments you can make on the icon to get things just right. It is a standard icon, just with a Jay J3 backrest, and 22 inch wheels (icon don't currently offer 22 inch wheels, but they work!). We're hopeful that the chair will grow with him, because it can!

Yes, sometimes he can be cute....and sometimes not!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

What did he have before?
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

What did he have before?
    ZRA2. A good chair, no doubt about that, but nowhere near as adjustable as the icon for a growing child.

You can definitely wheelie with anti tippers, just how high is restricted.

As for curbs with anti tippers, I have the same problem. From the forum I found out about the modification to swap out the plastic 'wheels' on the anti tippers with rollerblade wheels. You can use simple bolts from the hardware store for axles, and the rollerblade wheels usually come with bearings already. Then going up a curb you can rock back on the anti tippers, wheel up to put your casters on the curb, and push yourself up it or grab something and pull yourself up. To go down go backwards and once your main wheels are on the ground just back up until you have clearance to put your casters back down.

I haven't tried this yet because of money, but it's still in my plans. I'm still not strong enough to do the curbs really anyway so it hasn't been a priority. I've gone backwards off curbs as described but never without a spotter. In fact one time I ended up stuck because my anti tippers weren't high enough for the curb. With my casters on the curb, tippers on the ground (no rollerblade wheels) and drive wheels in air my roommate had to help lol. *
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    As for curbs with anti tippers, I have the same problem. From the forum I found out about the modification to swap out the plastic 'wheels' on the anti tippers with rollerblade wheels.
    I am intrigued by this idea, as I also hate that those stock wheels rattle.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Ugh, yes, and they get stuck on things too! I'll hafta go and do that...I'm going to a weekend family camp for kids with my condition, and I'll need the chair there, and need to be able to go off-roading. Def gonna go fix that up that way I don't get stuck in the grass! People are always ready to help me but I don't want help, yknow? I want to do it myself. Thus the whole thing of getting my new chair.

OK, so I just measured the backrest height...it was set at EIGHTEEN INCHES!!! No wonder it felt so high! I brought it down to 15 and am hoping it will make the COG and leaning into wheelies feel more natural. I could tell yesterday when I tried wheelies minus the tippers in the thick grass at my grandparents' house that the back was too high...unnatural. I actually went over, w/o the tippers, but the grass was so thick I was fine. I'm gonna practice more with the tips and maybe figure out what COG will fit me. I love having the adjustability...wow. I haven't tried this back yet, I'm working on it in between chores, coughing fits (home sick recovering from bronchitis, ugh.) and homework. I want to get back to school tomorrow, but if I can float the casters over the enormous ruts in the sidewalk, that will be a plus. And camp this weekend...I'm so gonna go for those rollerblade wheels!

..I'm going to a weekend family camp for kids with my condition, and I'll need the chair there, and need to be able to go off-roading.
    a FreeWheel sounds perfect for you.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>