Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Dying - Wish Granted for one last vacation in Caribean...

Cool Your Dying - Wish Granted for one last vacation in Caribean...

You're dying. Where would you go? Best accessibility/Food/Transport/Hotels to make a dying crip happy.

P.S. I'm not dying just worded for dramatic effect. Looking for an awesome, hassle free winter escape.

Go!
    Last edited by CowboyCrip; 09-06-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: You're vs Your - Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Best accessibility/Food/Transport/Hotels
    All covered in one for one price with multiple stops in the Caribbean.

Royal caribbeans Allure of the Seas

+ 1 for a Cruise, Allure or any of the newer floating cities out there.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

There's a hotel on Isla Mujeres in the Carib. Farrr too $$ for me so I can't say how truly accessible it is.

I'll find the name of it. It had a pool by the ocean, it looked so accessible. The pool had all these "beds" around it, idk what they are called. We just happened to be there during Mardi Gras week. Our hotel should have gotten 5 stars for "Most Inaccessible". I was envying the rich ppl that trip just b/c they didn't risk life and limb getting to the pool, and they could roll right into their hotel.

I wish I was kidding. I'm not. Our hotel was at the top of a freaking mountain. The views were spectacular at least.

I always thought Fiesta Americana in Cozumel was accessible (By Caribbean standards.)

Do you use a power chair or manual?

Yucatan Peninsula/Mexico isn't hot during the winter, but it sure beats N. America!

I think there may be an accessible resort in Honduras. But that is one of those places only scuba divers care to visit. There's not much to see above sea level. The underwater scene there is spectacular.

ETA-That resort in Isla Mujeres is called Privileges Axules. I discuss it a little here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...es#post1012787

Here's my trip report about Isla Mujeres:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=mujeres
    Last edited by betheny; 09-06-2012 at 06:38 PM.

New Orleans. You'd be dead 2, maybe 3 days before you'd notice.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Truth.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

That's kinda like saying "If you went to the Caribbean, you'd wake up in a bath full of ice with a note on the wall saying in broken English that "We've taken your kidneys... There's a mobile phone on the vanity next to you - Call a doctor now, We have added one on fast dial on that phone"

A cruise to anywhere in the Caribbean. We went on a Disney cruise for my parents anniversary, and while we're not really "disney people", we had a ton of fun and it was uber accessible. And with all expenses paid, its easy on the budget too (but you have to control costs on what you spend on board!!). Not saying you should go on Disney, but cruises are really fun and hassle free.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

isla

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    There's a hotel on Isla Mujeres in the Carib. Farrr too $$ for me so I can't say how truly accessible it is.

I'll find the name of it. It had a pool by the ocean, it looked so accessible. The pool had all these "beds" around it, idk what they are called. We just happened to be there during Mardi Gras week. Our hotel should have gotten 5 stars for "Most Inaccessible". I was envying the rich ppl that trip just b/c they didn't risk life and limb getting to the pool, and they could roll right into their hotel.

I wish I was kidding. I'm not. Our hotel was at the top of a freaking mountain. The views were spectacular at least.

I always thought Fiesta Americana in Cozumel was accessible (By Caribbean standards.)

Do you use a power chair or manual?

Yucatan Peninsula/Mexico isn't hot during the winter, but it sure beats N. America!

I think there may be an accessible resort in Honduras. But that is one of those places only scuba divers care to visit. There's not much to see above sea level. The underwater scene there is spectacular.

ETA-That resort in Isla Mujeres is called Privileges Axules. I discuss it a little here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...es#post1012787

Here's my trip report about Isla Mujeres:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...hlight=mujeres
    Bethany: My wife & I went to Isla Mujeres for out honeymoon (pre injury) amazing place hope to get back someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    That's kinda like saying "If you went to the Caribbean, you'd wake up in a bath full of ice with a note on the wall saying in broken English that "We've taken your kidneys... There's a mobile phone on the vanity next to you - Call a doctor now, We have added one on fast dial on that phone"
    That wasn't my interpretation. In NOLA you have so much fun that it supersedes all other realities.

The scenario you dipict might be possible in the Big Easy, but the note would be written in lipstick and smell good. It would also mention that there was rum and something good to eat while you wait for the ambulance.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg