Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickie Unilateral wheel lock vs. ADI Disc Brakes

Quickie Unilateral wheel lock vs. ADI Disc Brakes

We are trying to get ADI Disc Brakes on a TiLite ZRA wheelchair so that the chair can be braked and locked with one hand. We are being told that we will only get funding for Quickie Unilateral wheel locks. I can't find any information on them.

Can someone tell me if they are variable like the ADI's and if they still allow for quick release of the wheel?

Any other pro's/con's would also be helpful in trying to justify the cost of ADI's as would any suggestions for cheaper alternatives for ADI's with similar functionality.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy ADI Disc Brakes online? Sportaid has other ADI products, but not the disc brakes.
    Last edited by elarson; 09-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

As far as I know, adi is the ONLY actual brake on the market. Every other device is a wheel lock, not a brake. I'm not specifically familiar with quickie unilateral locks but you usually have to unlock the wheel to use the quick release mechanism. The exception to this would be hublocks like Ds and Surelocks.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are trying to get ADI Disc Brakes on a TiLite ZRA wheelchair so that the chair can be braked and locked with one hand. We are being told that we will only get funding for Quickie Unilateral wheel locks. I can't find any information on them.

Can someone tell me if they are variable like the ADI's and if they still allow for quick release of the wheel?

Any other pro's/con's would also be helpful in trying to justify the cost of ADI's as would any suggestions for cheaper alternatives for ADI's with similar functionality.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy ADI Disc Brakes online? Sportaid has other ADI products, but not the disc brakes.

Yes, you can still allowing the quick release, the chair have to be send to ADI factory for they install it.

elarson,

Regarding "... where I can buy ADI Disc Brakes online?" - they can be purchased through Wheelchair Cushion Sage.

It is; as totoL1 indicated, typically more practical to ship your chair directly to ADI for installation, unless you know someone who can do the camber tube modification and someone with a press who can install the spline drive.

The ADI brake and the associated spline drive together will cost about $850 via Wheelchair Cushion Sage, plus your cost of shipping the wheelchair to and from ADI (according to ADI, the present retail for these items is $1350 for the brakes + $150 for the spline). Note that when there is a purchase like this, ADI installs the brakes at their facility without additional cost to you.
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 09-06-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added Retail Prices for Reference

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    As far as I know, adi is the ONLY actual brake on the market.
    I agree.

I googled "Quickie Unilateral wheel locks", and found only verbal descriptions. They lock/unlock both wheels simultaneously with only one lever, which D's and Surelocks do (via a wheel hub).
    Attachment 46418

Do I remember correctly, you are getting a one-arm drive for the chair? I have neither been near one nor know exactly how one works. My presumption is you can propel the chair straight forward or backward with only one arm.

Just brainstorming . . .
    But how do you turn with only one arm? You could brake the wheel on the good-arm side, which would turn you toward the good arm - but if you brake one side, do both wheels slow because they're interconnected? Or do they somehow drive together but then roll independently? How do you turn the other way? Somehow you need to brake the wheel opposite the good arm: maybe with a one-sided ADI brake with the control on the good arm side. But then how do brake straight (slow the good-arm wheel AND the other side simultaneously)? . . . How do people with only one arm navigate a wheelchair?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ugh, I did not realise about the camber tube modification and spline drive best being done at the ADI factory. We are ordering a new chair, probably through a supplier in the Netherlands, where there are no ADI suppliers, who would get it from a supplier in Germany. I was told that the cost was €1350 (approx. $1700), but I don't know if that includes installation.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Chas,

I did find this picture in a Quickie Accessories Brochure.

We were thinking about getting a one-arm drive, like a Nomad, but have backed away from the idea, because my husband found it difficult to use and they are very expensive. Here is a video of a ZRA with one-arm drive if you are curious.

I really want to fight this with them to get the ADI bakes, because its already hard enough only having one arm to use and it's often very dangerous for him on ramps of which we have many in our house. He also uses his good foot for propulsion (toddling) and steering, but that is also hard.

Here is a video of the ADI disc brake so you can see how it works on both wheels simultaneously.

About your question "How do people with only one arm navigate a wheelchair?", the answer is, with great difficulty. Especially in the stroke community there is a huge opportunity for better solutions for people with hemiparesis/hemiplegia. It's surprising to me just how few options there are, and most people seemed to be forced to use power chairs because of it.

pantera chairs (made in sweden) have a really good one-handed lock, but it is a lock, not a brake.

Here is a video of a ZRA with one-arm drive if you are curious.
    Thanks! I was curious. You'd need excellent hand/arm strength/coordination to use one. That would work okay for a strong amputee, but not so well for nerve damage. I can understand how he finds it difficult - I would, too (dysmetria and intention tremors).

I really want to fight this with them to get the ADI bakes, because its already hard enough only having one arm to use and it's often very dangerous for him on ramps of which we have many in our house. He also uses his good foot for propulsion (toddling) and steering, but that is also hard.

Here is a video of the ADI disc brake so you can see how it works on both wheels simultaneously.

About your question "How do people with only one arm navigate a wheelchair?", the answer is, with great difficulty. Especially in the stroke community there is a huge opportunity for better solutions for people with hemiparesis/hemiplegia. It's surprising to me just how few options there are, and most people seemed to be forced to use power chairs because of it.
    Keep on fighting - when you win, you'll be helping others, too. We chair users are trapped so much already; we need tools to give us as much independence as possible for sanity if nothing else.

Thanks for helping to enlighten me
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You are welcome Chas. I appreciate others wanting to understand the issues.

Yes, excellent hand/arm strength/coordination are needed. It also takes quite a bit of thought while using them -- it's just not intuitive. I assume that would get easier with time, but I'm not sure.

Having hemiparesis/hemiplegia really does limit options. We are really hoping to be able to get the ZX1 if it ever comes out for use outdoors, but at minimum he needs to at least be safe in his home with the ramps. We have a few 6-8" high thresholds and he really comes flying down them too fast.

I'll keep on fighting... some times that feels like all I ever do!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Thanks! I was curious. You'd need excellent hand/arm strength/coordination to use one. That would work okay for a strong amputee, but not so well for nerve damage. I can understand how he finds it difficult - I would, too (dysmetria and intention tremors).

Keep on fighting - when you win, you'll be helping others, too. We chair users are trapped so much already; we need tools to give us as much independence as possible for sanity if nothing else.

Thanks for helping to enlighten me