Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy surgery

Colostomy surgery

Well after what seems like years of battling bowel problems I'm finally scheduled for colostomy surgery September 18 and I'm extremely nervous!
    Over the last few years I've read numerous post where you all have sung the praises of having colostomy surgery and I know it will be better than crapping my pants once a week, still my anxiety level is sky high.

On a plus side The Dr. and nurse believe I should qualify to have my clean out done at the hospital. I only have Medicare which I'm told usually doesn't cover having that Done however they believe the hospital will do it and not charge me which sure would make things easier.

I go in today for my bag marking the Dr. Wants me to wear it for a week to make sure it's in the proper place.
    One thing I look forward to is maybe being ableing to irrigate instead of wearing a bag that just randomly fills up especially since I use an abdominal support that's mounted to my back rest.

Does anyone use a abdominal support along with having a colostomy bag?
    Well I'm done rambling on just needed to post strangely it helps me with my anxiety. . I hope everyone is having a great day!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Well after what seems like years of battling bowel problems I'm finally scheduled for colostomy surgery September 18 and I'm extremely nervous!
    Over the last few years I've read numerous post where you all have sung the praises of having colostomy surgery and I know it will be better than crapping my pants once a week, still my anxiety level is sky high.

On a plus side The Dr. and nurse believe I should qualify to have my clean out done at the hospital. I only have Medicare which I'm told usually doesn't cover having that Done however they believe the hospital will do it and not charge me which sure would make things easier.

I go in today for my bag marking the Dr. Wants me to wear it for a week to make sure it's in the proper place.
    One thing I look forward to is maybe being ableing to irrigate instead of wearing a bag that just randomly fills up especially since I use an abdominal support that's mounted to my back rest.

Does anyone use a abdominal support along with having a colostomy bag?
    Well I'm done rambling on just needed to post strangely it helps me with my anxiety. . I hope everyone is having a great day!
    Cowboy, Good luck. I'm hoping to do the same here. Waiting to see if I can get the doctor to agree first.

So happy for you Cowboy! I hope you can irrigate some day too. I think you have to wait a few months to make sure things heal properly. I've been irrigating since December 5th, 2011. I'm so happy about the freedom I get from it that I want to tell everyone! lol. I feel fortunate to have this website and the UOAA forum to talk POO with....Good luck to you! Please let me know if I can help support you through this. I was a nervous wreck before mine also.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

This what i use
    http://nu-hope.com/beltlit.pdf

It is from nuhope and can be ordered from any mediclal supply.
    Darwin wants me dead

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words! Offroaderswife, I they do just that as in look to you for some advice and support that's a very kind offer. .

I went to see the WOCN today and get marked for ny stoma even though surgery isn't until the 18th.. Well she didn't like the fact that I wear levi's and suggested I try sweats or pants with elastic waistbands. What type of clothing do you all wear are the waistbands loose and do you tuck the bag into it? The practice bag she fitted me with hangs down over my waistband however my shirt covers it completely I just don't know what to do about my abdominal support. .

T6para the belt you use looks interesting if it would work for me one question however once it's on doesn't it have to stay on until you change your bag?

Again everyone thinks

Cowboy
    I think you are going to love it. And you do not need to be nervous about the surgery or pain afterwords. When I had mine done I was nervous also and really when I woke up I felt like I had taken a great nap and really wondered if they had done the surgery, because remember it is below your injury level, or at least it was for me because I had totally severed my spinal cord at the T3-T4. Really I had to check to see if they had done anything. I had no pain at all it was actually like a mini vacation, I know it is crazy to say that being in a hospital is like a vacation. They put a foley in, I got to stay in bed, food was brought to me (for a few days you have to be on certain foods) and you are not really sick or in pain so it is kind of fun to meet people and nurses. It will make your life much easier, you will get back your mornings and all of the time you waisted doing your program. It will be strange at first but once you get it all figured out, you wont even worry about diarrhea at all. I had it for about a month because of a prescription and I was so thankful that I had done. Once I had a blowout (had the bag come off) and when I was done cleaning up I was happy because it was easy to clean up (In my lap and not under me) so my chair was not full of crap, my bed was not full of crap, and when i was all cleaned up and I started to go again it was ok because it was in the bag and not in my pants again under me.

I went to Alaska (flew on a big plane and on a small plane) and was on a 100 foot sea yacht for 6 days and had no problems and never had to worry about a program or having any accidents.

The pants that I wear are from a company called USA Jeans, and they are jeans that are made for sitting in a wheelchair they have no pockets and all of the seams are folded flat so you have nothing to give you a sore and I think that the jean material is better then the Levi brand. They will even make dress pants for you as well. They will even put pockets on the inside of the legs if you want to carry your stuff. here is the site http://wheelchairjeans.com talk to Darleen and tell her that Steve from Colorado sent you.

Feel free to PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.

Good Luck
    Stevie P

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words! Offroaderswife, I they do just that as in look to you for some advice and support that's a very kind offer. .

I went to see the WOCN today and get marked for ny stoma even though surgery isn't until the 18th.. Well she didn't like the fact that I wear levi's and suggested I try sweats or pants with elastic waistbands. What type of clothing do you all wear are the waistbands loose and do you tuck the bag into it? The practice bag she fitted me with hangs down over my waistband however my shirt covers it completely I just don't know what to do about my abdominal support. .

T6para the belt you use looks interesting if it would work for me one question however once it's on doesn't it have to stay on until you change your bag?

Again everyone thinks
    No. The opening on the belt goes over the bag, either 1piece or 2 piece. The belts are avalible in many widths.

As for jeans, that is all I wear. My jeans have elastic waistband and my stoma is just low enough that the waistband is above the bag, so the bag sits between underware and jeans. Also works with shorts. I never tuck my shirt in. The jeans are available from my local clothing store.
    Darwin wants me dead

I wear both pants with zippers and elastic waists. The key is they have to be a bit roomy so that the colostomy bag can fillup without meeting too much resistance. Pants that have those trouser creases near the waist line [so that the pants don't lie flat on your abdomen] or roomy side hip pockets additionally work well.

You need to be able to access the bag easily and quickly if it fills with gas or fills with output unexpectedly.

I keep my bag tucked under my underwear. Shirts are worn either in or out depending on how I feel about my quad belly that particular day.

Good luck with your surgery! Yall might not have known it but this past week there have been two excellent seminar for SCI professionals.
    So to give an update- for bowels-
    Enemeez and enemeez plus(with benzocaine)- minienemas 5 mls of docusate sodium- www.enemeez.com- less mucous, works faster,contact for samples and more information.

Peristeen bowel evacuation system is finally available in US. Looks like nice portable system.

The big guns- "P.I.E"- PROSTHETIC DEVICE. PULSED IRRIGATION EVACUATION BOWEL THERAPY.And also I finally got to see the actually PIE system.
    Quite a device, not very portable- info can be found at www.NationalColonHealth.com.
    Also new SCI sex video from Mayo and a book by Mayo Clinic Health solutions "Fitness for Everybody- Your gudie to a life of fitness and health" not SCI specific but had alot of good range of motion exercises and diet etc. information.. pictures of muscles etc... by Diane Dahm and Jay Smith MD. Probably on line or will send you one.
    CWO

StevieP, thanks for the link on the jeans but they are a little above my pay scale so I think if I get my levi's expanded little more than I already have them I should be fine.
    In regards to deciding what bag you went with how long did it take you to make that decision there's so many options to choose.