Thread: Shoulder blades chafing when handcycling...

Shoulder blades chafing when handcycling...

For the last month or so, my shoulder blades have become harshly chafed from handcycling. I ride 250mi/week, and I really don't want to back off at this point in the year. I've tried vaseline and Bodyglide, neither of which has helped. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any solutions?

What kind of handcycle you ride? In the recumbents the carbon bike has a very narrow back so chafing isn't an issue. I would think it's problematic with a wide back rest, especially as much as you ride, 250 is alot.

It's a Force R, and yes, the seat back is way wider than the carbonbike. The fabric on the seat cover has yellowed and worn where my shoulder blades dig into it.

Try using Pledge or something similar right where your shoulder blades rub. Apply the Pledge each time you ride, spray it on rub in w rag. I use Pledge on my transfer boards and it reduces friction greatly.

What about getting a removeable seat cover made of a differentf fabric? It may be a combo of the seat fabric and the fabric of your Jersey. I assume you are wearing a cycling shirt made of tech fabric.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    What about getting a removeable seat cover made of a differentf fabric? It may be a combo of the seat fabric and the fabric of your Jersey. I assume you are wearing a cycling shirt made of tech fabric.

I've already been trying this over the last few weeks. I've wrapped my back rest cushion in several different fabrics- mostly cycling jerseys and other wicking materials. and I've also tried jersey's made of different tech materials, and even different sizes.

Any other ideas?

Perhaps a custom back to fit between the shoulder blades better or wider. Doing that many miles a week you deserve and need to do whatever it takes to be able to continue doing it. I reward myself and the bike with upgrades after so many miles. I'm getting ready to rebuild mine with upgraded disc brake and ti. bottom bracket and better grade cables for continuing riding the miles I do. Not near as much as you, but for a guy riding 36 years with busted up shoulders, not too bad.

I'm sure some of the other racers have similar challenges with the back, what are they doing? Have you talked with Chris Peterson?

How about heat rash? I sweat very heavily. Is it possible that my sweat glands are obstructed from being pushed into the seat back?
    How could I prevent this?
    Also, the seat cushion does not shed water. It gets wet, and it stays wet.

Call around and find a good metal fabricator/welding shop. Bring the bike in and tell them what the problem is. They'll be able to modify the frame. You may have to have a custom cushion/back made, but it'll be worth the cost.

Recently, I found an awesome welding shop and a custom upholstery store and they've both made great modifications to my handcycle and chair frame. All for less than $100 so far.

Sounds like that may be it Capt. That many miles, sweating, not having a change of upholstery seems it would provide an enviroment for chafing.