Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shrooms, spasms, jeez...

There are enough difficulties living with a spinal cord injury, without borrowing trouble experimenting with stuff like this. Hope this is a one off experience for you and that you feel better soon.

Some general information from The Good Drugs Guide, a guide to drugs, treatment and addiction.
    http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/mushrooms/effects.htm

Mushrooms (Shrooms) Effects
    The mushroom effect is described as a "trip" because it is a long (4-6 hours) and powerful experience which takes you beyond normal perception and then back again. The active ingredient that causes this effect is called psilocybin. The mushrooms can be eaten raw or used to make tea.

At low doses, mushrooms induce a tingling body feeling and sense of euphoria and lightness. You may feel happy and giggly. Colors seem more vibrant, music sounds richer.

Simply put, it alters and expands consciousness by loosening or -- at higher doses- completely erasing the normal filters and screens between your conscious mind and the outside world.

With these filters down, more information rushes in and you become aware of things normally filtered out by your mind. You sense more, think more, feel more -- visual, auditory, sensory, emotional -- the intricate details on surfaces, the richness of sound, the brightness of colors, and the complexity of your own mental processes.

Starting the Magic Mushroom Trip
    The effects begin to be felt between 20 minutes to an hour after ingestion. The first signs are a sense of euphoria and expectation, along with a tingling body feeling.

Once started, the effects usually take between 30-45 minutes to 'come up' and reach their peak.

It is common to feel some nausea during this stage. It can be reduced by having an empty stomach.

Getting to the Peak of the Mushroom Ride
    The peak effect lasts for one to two hours. A clear symptom is rich visual hallucinations, just like with LSD. Colors seem more vibrant. Surfaces may ripple and shimmer. You may notice tiny details on objects. Music sounds richer and louder.

At the same time, you may feel blissful, have flashes of insight into yourself or the world, experience severe time-distortion, or feel yourself dissolving or see objects merging into one another.

Bad Trips on Shrooms
    A good trip on magic mushrooms can give you a more "natural" experience than dropping acid does. It can put you in a dreamlike state that is very enjoyable for the hours that the trip lasts. The colors can appear so vivid and inviting that you may feel as if you can almost taste them, as well as feel them. Some users describe an experience that is so intense that they can smell words.

The flip side to having a good trip on shrooms is having a bad one. Instead of an enjoyable, peaceful experience, you will be spending several hours in a world that is similar to your worst nightmare. The difference between a bad trip and a bad dream is that you can't wake up from a bad trip. You are stuck in the experience until it runs its course and the effects of the mushrooms wear off.

The hallucinations that go with a bad trip can be absolutely terrifying. As a result of spending several hours with the disturbing images, a user can feel anxious and afraid. In more extreme cases, paranoia results. One explanation for a bad trip could be that the user's emotional state when he or she ingested the mushrooms is intensified during the trip. Being upset or in a negative emotional state may set the stage for a similar experience while being high on shrooms.

Physical Side Effects of Psychedelic Mushrooms
    If you decide that you want to experiment with using psychedelic mushrooms, be prepared for stomach problems like cramping, nausea and vomiting. Some users get diarrhea after taking shrooms.
    Feeling ill after ingesting them can also be a sign that you have consumed one of the poisonous varieties of mushrooms. In that situation, it is best to call emergency services before it's too late.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.

No you don't have to go to the ER. It's part of the injury. LSD will do the same thing.

I came home to find my parents waiting for me while on 'shrooms . My legs were going a mile a minute. They never said a word; probably thought it was part of the injury lol. I had cows in my field so had an abundant source. It'll wear off.

This is why I posed the question I did previously. Were these mushrooms that you ate or something you were "trying"?
    If it was "trying", it sounds to me like your tripping. Hell, even if you weren't "trying", it sounds to me like your tripping.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

well, you don't buy mushrooms at the store by the gram. I reckon he had some idea what to expect, brainwise. (Trippin') The spasms were an unpleasant bonus. I don't think diaspora got these at the store lol.

I hope he's okay, hasn't checked in for a while
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    This is why I posed the question I did previously. Were these mushrooms that you ate or something you were "trying"?
    If it was "trying", it sounds to me like your tripping. Hell, even if you weren't "trying", it sounds to me like your tripping.

it was obvious what he was doing by saying "1.5grams of SHROOMS"...
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Kinda makes a huge difference what variety of shrooms they are as well. psilocybe cyanescens vs psilocybe cubensis or even psilocybe aszurescens all vary considerably in their concentrations of psilocyben and psilocen.

Iirc, the LD50 of pscilocybin is ~285mg per kg of body weight.

That is pounds and pounds of shrooms, of any strain. More than anyone could eat.

5g, in silent darkness, is a semi-annual ritual.

They grow better in rye than poop.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I've never heard of ppl dying or perma-wigging on shrooms. Have seen a classmate perma-wig on LSD. He also had other issues though.

My son tried them a couple times. He'd have to come home and be babied by Mom. They made him really anxious. Luckily I knew how to talk him down. I saved the lecture for the next day.

DaleB-I used to have this friend/co-worker. He was an old Cali hippie. Every year he and his buds would go to Yellowstone for a little quiet LSD retreat. One year they were sitting there watching a waterfall (and tripping balls). Somebody up-mountain got to scrambling, dislodged a rock, which literally brained his friend sitting next to him.

Just killed him. Brains everywhere. THEN they had to deal w/ Park Rangers.

He told me that story in 89 and it still sticks w/ me. Just horrible...