Thread: Popular Cure Forum Topics

Popular Cure Forum Topics

We now have 6181 topics and 44909 posts in the Cure Forum. Over 80,000 visitors come to our site every month and view over 2 million pages on the site. The Cure Forum is the most viewed forum. This past month, for example, people viewed over 125,000 pages in the forum. The breadth and depth of information on cure of spinal cord injury probably exceed anything that is available on Internet or in any book.

We have been thinking of ways to organize this material. One of the reasons why people come to the forum is because the information is current. Much of the information is out of date within a few days. On the other hand, a significant portion of the information does not change. There are many ways to categorize the information.

One approach is to order the topics by popularity, i.e. the number of page views by people. Another approach is to organize the topics by subject. This is a huge task and one that gets more daunting as the number of posts and topics grow. A third approach is to provide summary articles every few weeks, as different subjects reach maturity, with links back to the discussion. All three of these approaches are being considered.

Many people have requested some page of links to the most important or popular topics in the Cure Forum. Seneca just compiled such a listing of links to some of the most popular topics, based in part on her judgment of questions that people ask the most and topics that have evoked the most responses: http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...eTopics04.html A link to this page was placed in the header text of the Cure Forum.

Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

We now have 6181 topics and 44909 posts in the Cure Forum. Over 80,000 visitors come to our site every month and view over 2 million pages on the site. The Cure Forum is the most viewed forum. This past month, for example, people viewed over 125,000 pages in the forum. The breadth and depth of information on cure of spinal cord injury probably exceed anything that is available on Internet or in any book.

We have been thinking of ways to organize this material. One of the reasons why people come to the forum is because the information is current. Much of the information is out of date within a few days. On the other hand, a significant portion of the information does not change. There are many ways to categorize the information.

One approach is to order the topics by popularity, i.e. the number of page views by people. Another approach is to organize the topics by subject. This is a huge task and one that gets more daunting as the number of posts and topics grow. A third approach is to provide summary articles every few weeks, as different subjects reach maturity, with links back to the discussion. All three of these approaches are being considered.

Many people have requested some page of links to the most important or popular topics in the Cure Forum. Seneca just compiled such a listing of links to some of the most popular topics, based in part on her judgment of questions that people ask the most and topics that have evoked the most responses: http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...eTopics04.html A link to this page was placed in the header text of the Cure Forum.

Wise.
    blah blah blah dr young. lets hear some cure news. the negative and misformed ppl are taking over the forum. give me some ammo, please.

Wise,

I like, and use, all three of these approaches as they have already been implemented. I like the summary topics the best - maybe more moderators can be recruited to help? Searching can be a challenge since not all topics get highly relevant titles. It can be difficult to tell what is good information and what is not as good.

I do think that the articles on the CareCure front end could be updated. Or at least re-read and given a review date that is more current if they are still relevant.

AB wife of T8 complete para

DA, we are in the doldrums before the Neuroscience/Neurotrauma meetings. Do you remember how it was last year? Give it a month and we will be flooded with cure news.

Belle, I allocate about 8 hours a day to this forum. I think that I better stop writing political commentary in the Politics forum but I have not been able to resist watching and commenting on the Democratic National Convention or Congressional hearings on the 9/11 Commission. There will be more review articles in the coming months.

Wise.