Thread: Here's one good tip to use when hiring new caregivers.

Here's one good tip to use when hiring new caregivers.

I've been hiring and managing my own caregivers for about 14 years now. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years at finding the right fit for me.
    One good method I use for pre screening is looking into their background using Facebook and Myspace..I do not use either of these sites personally but I did set up a account to use as a prescreening tool when deciding who I want to meet after some back n forth emails then a phone conversation.
    All you do is enter their name or email into the search box. If their info.is set to viewable by all then your able to gleen some information re: their character and personality..I look at the pics,,read the posts on wall,friends they associate with or anything else they are crazy enough to put in there. I can usually find info on about 80% of the people who apply...you'd be amazed at what some people share with the world...some of these people I wouldn't let into my house let alone care for me. You can use this tip and judge for yourself. I just find it usefull and thought I'd share.
    Of course I do look at things like work history,experience,references and a face to face to get a feel for who this person is I'm going to trust,depend on and let into my home..I can get alot of responses from a job posting and use this as one tool to decide who I want to meet..and I always meet in a public place.If I set up 5 interviews I only need 1 to know where I live, Good Luck in your hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    I've been hiring and managing my own caregivers for about 14 years now. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years at finding the right fit for me.
    One good method I use for pre screening is looking into their background using Facebook and Myspace..I do not use either of these sites personally but I did set up a account to use as a prescreening tool when deciding who I want to meet after some back n forth emails then a phone conversation.
    All you do is enter their name or email into the search box. If their info.is set to viewable by all then your able to gleen some information re: their character and personality..I look at the pics,,read the posts on wall,friends they associate with or anything else they are crazy enough to put in there. I can usually find info on about 80% of the people who apply...you'd be amazed at what some people share with the world...some of these people I wouldn't let into my house let alone care for me. You can use this tip and judge for yourself. I just find it usefull and thought I'd share.
    Of course I do look at things like work history,experience,references and a face to face to get a feel for who this person is I'm going to trust,depend on and let into my home..I can get alot of responses from a job posting and use this as one tool to decide who I want to meet..and I always meet in a public place.If I set up 5 interviews I only need 1 to know where I live, Good Luck in your hiring.

Good advice. Thank you.

I have been debating firing our current CNA that we hired from an agency, "hoping" the agency would be screening better for us. Last week she called my father and asked if she could "borrow" his credit card number to rent a car. She recently declared bankruptcy. Nearly every week, something inappropriate happens.

Hiring people is awful. Especially when the person being helped is vulnerable and easy to take advantage of.

I find that agencies can sometimes hire anyone especially to fill a spot. I do believe they do crimminal background checks though. There are alot of really good aides at agencies but the good ones,because they are more dependable, they keep busy and sometimes they are hard to get.
    I can't believe she would ask for a credit card #. If you want you could call the agency and request a new aide..sometimes people are hesitant to do this esp.if they have a shortage of aides.
    Fortunatly I don't have to deal with agencies. My ins. company lets me hire and manage my own aides.
    Also,I wouldn't personally hire someone with no car,,esp.where I live..I don't want their friends or whoever bringing them and knowing where I live. not to mention that you then have to depend on 2 people. I would though if they were within walking distance or if I was near a bus line. Good Luck.