Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: losing my mind!!!! My BP sucks!

  1. #1

    losing my mind!!!! My BP sucks!

    So I have dealt with constipation since day one of injury (9yrs ago) and I have recently made some bowel program changes.....
    Well my bp still sucks! My peristalsis is soooo slow i might lose my mind! ugh! Anyone have any other insight on what helps them go? I have added 2 tablets of senna a night, and miralax every other day. Stool softeners seem to make it too soft, I tried metamucil but it gave me small pebbles that were grainy (gross i know) I would like to keep my stools somewhat formed so i dont have any accidents. Im lmn so suppoitories & dig stim wont work.

    *I had to do mag citrate last friday b/c i hadnt gone all week. That night I had lots of poops which hopefully cleaned me out (I think) but now its monday & I still havent pooped. This has been my life, and its making me go nuts! Advice please!!!!!!

  2. #2
    check into getting a colostomy... you'll get your life, time and sanity back

  3. #3
    Here is a thread on Care Cure Community that you might find helpful. There is a lot of discussion and input from the spinal cord injury nurse KLD in this thread.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=116251

    For those like me, who don't do well with abbreviations, the "LMN" that "Chelley03" refers to stands for lower motor neuron bowel as opposed to "UMN" upper motor neuron bowel.

    Nurse KLD gives this response in Post 2 of the thread cited above:
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The term lower motor neuron bowel or upper motor neuron bowel refers to the tone (or lack thereof) of the anal sphincter, not of the gut. The gut (colon) motility is not controlled primarily by the spinal cord, but but the myenteric plexus of the autonomic nervous system. This means that even with a UMN or LMN SCI, peristalsis still occurs in response to the gastrocolic reflex (food going from the stomach to the small intestine), the stretch of the bowel contents, and certain stimulants (particularly senna and bisacodyl).

    With a UMN bowel (where the S2-4 reflex arc is intact) peristalsis is not impaired, but there is spasticity or high tone in the anal sphincter, and without an intact spinal cord you cannot relax the sphincter voluntarily to let stool pass. Digitial stimulation is used to fatigue the sphincter (since it is a striated muscle, not smooth muscle like the colon) which allows the stool to pass. Suppositories help to move stool into the rectum so that there is something there to pass when you do bowel care.

    With a LMN bowel (where the S2-4 reflex arc is not working), the anal sphincter is loose and flaccid. This makes bowel management more difficult as any stool in the rectum can easily leak out with any straining or valsalva...such as occurs when walking with crutches or walker, transferring, etc. The stool needs to be kept very firm, and bowel care may need to be done several times daily. Digital simulation is not indicated as it serves no purpose. Manual removal of stool, and valsalva are indicated to empty the bowel. Suppositories that contain bisacodyl will help to move stool down into the rectum in preparation for evacuation.

    (KLD)
    All the best,
    GJ

  4. #4
    Try adding a probiotic to your bowel program. I also battle constipation and found the right probiotic works miracles. It may take you several tries before you find one that works well for you, but you'll know it when you find it. I take Nature's Way Primadophilous Fortify.

    BTW, the reason you ended up having heart buckets when you took the Metamucil is that you didn't drink enough water to compensate for the additional fiber. I had the same problem the fiber supplements for the longest time -- no matter how much extra water I drank, the fiber ended up turning my stool into bricks. I finally found that Benefiber works best for me.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Try adding a probiotic to your bowel program. I also battle constipation and found the right probiotic works miracles. It may take you several tries before you find one that works well for you, but you'll know it when you find it. I take Nature's Way Primadophilous Fortify.

    BTW, the reason you ended up having heart buckets when you took the Metamucil is that you didn't drink enough water to compensate for the additional fiber. I had the same problem the fiber supplements for the longest time -- no matter how much extra water I drank, the fiber ended up turning my stool into bricks. I finally found that Benefiber works best for me.
    Thanks I will try the probiotics you take and benefiber instead of metamucil. I currently take a probiotic chewable, (not religiously) so I could practice that better. I drink as much water as I can tolerate, which is usually 60oz. I feel too full if I drink too much, kind of a bummer.

    Has anyone had success with the enemeez? Ive never tried an enema in general, only suppositories which sometimes works but also leaves me with leakage during the day...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelley03 View Post
    Thanks I will try the probiotics you take and benefiber instead of metamucil. I currently take a probiotic chewable, (not religiously) so I could practice that better. I drink as much water as I can tolerate, which is usually 60oz. I feel too full if I drink too much, kind of a bummer.

    Has anyone had success with the enemeez? Ive never tried an enema in general, only suppositories which sometimes works but also leaves me with leakage during the day...
    Enemeez is really not an enema in the real sense. The active ingredient in Enemeez is Docusate Sodium 283mg, a Stool Softener.

    What kind of suppositories have you tried? Have you tried Magic Bullets. Magic Bullets are Dulcolax Bisacodyl suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl). The base, or carrier of the active ingredient in the suppository is what makes the difference. The Magic Bullet uses a Polyethylene Glycol base which is water-soluble. This base allows the Bisacodyl to be activated by the body’s own moisture shortly after insertion. The Dulcolax and other Bisacodyl suppositories use a vegetable oil base. This type of base takes longer to work because it needs time to be melted by the body's heat.

    If you search the Care Cure Community for Enemeez and Magic Bullet, you will find a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of both.

    All the best,
    GJ

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Enemeez is really not an enema in the real sense. The active ingredient in Enemeez is Docusate Sodium 283mg, a Stool Softener.

    What kind of suppositories have you tried? Have you tried Magic Bullets. Magic Bullets are Dulcolax Bisacodyl suppositories (10mg Bisacodyl). The base, or carrier of the active ingredient in the suppository is what makes the difference. The Magic Bullet uses a Polyethylene Glycol base which is water-soluble. This base allows the Bisacodyl to be activated by the body’s own moisture shortly after insertion. The Dulcolax and other Bisacodyl suppositories use a vegetable oil base. This type of base takes longer to work because it needs time to be melted by the body's heat.

    If you search the Care Cure Community for Enemeez and Magic Bullet, you will find a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of both.

    All the best,
    GJ
    I have only tried bisacodyl suppositories and yes it seems like if it does work, it takes forever! Plus theres an extra mess usually. I have never tried a magic bullet, I assumed because I am lower motor neuron that any suppository would not work. I can try that too. I am learning more in the last yr about Bowel programs than I did when I was first injured. It just seems to be getting harder to use the bathroom the older I get. (And Im not really old, only 27.) But Im going on 9yrs post so Im not sure if that makes a difference or not...... Ahhh It gets frustrating. Thank you though for your insight. I have been searching the threads to get any info I can.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelley03 View Post
    I have only tried bisacodyl suppositories and yes it seems like if it does work, it takes forever! Plus theres an extra mess usually. I have never tried a magic bullet, I assumed because I am lower motor neuron that any suppository would not work. I can try that too. I am learning more in the last yr about Bowel programs than I did when I was first injured. It just seems to be getting harder to use the bathroom the older I get. (And Im not really old, only 27.) But Im going on 9yrs post so Im not sure if that makes a difference or not...... Ahhh It gets frustrating. Thank you though for your insight. I have been searching the threads to get any info I can.

    My Dad is similar to you. LMN. He takes Metamucil and a probiotic every day to keep it well formed. And it is always hard to remind him to drink enough water so it doesn't get too hard. Remember to hydrate well. And then he strains (valsalva) and manually removes stuff to get it out. This is a terrible technique in one important way... straining leads to hemorrhoids/rectal prolapse/bleeding/pain and all that good stuff. You are a lot younger then my Dad, so it will take more time to develop these lovely "side effects", but something to think about ......

    Like you, he wasn't a fan of the suppositories. They burned, were very slow to work (if at all) and he hated the possibility of more leaking later. To try to decrease the straining to evacuate, it probably is still better for him to use one of the suppositories or mini-enemas. Enemeez didn't really help much. We have the glycerin "mini-enemas" at home (I bought online) that I think are a little like Enemeez. He hasn't tried them yet. They are supposed to be among the most "mild", in terms of irritation. It probably is good to try them all, just in case they help you.

    My Dad has some sensation with his bowels (incomplete) but also a lot of nerve pain, so the whole process just is one big uncomfortable experience. Daily.

    And yeah, it is good to train your body to go daily. Same time. I think LMN need this to maintain a sense of security.

    Yeah, it sucks. Try to change just one thing at a time, and continue for at least 1 week to see what happens.

  9. #9
    I'm thinking you will see some, if only minor, improvement with the magic bullets or emeneez. Plain bisacodyl would do absolutely zero for me.
    And the truth shall set you free.

  10. #10
    No wonder you're constipated! 60 ounces of water isn't nearly enough to drink every day. You need to be drinking between two and three liters of water every day.I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not as difficult as it may seem. Try setting a timer to go off every half an hour. When the timer sounds, pour yourself 8 ounces of water. If you just take a sip every few minutes, you should be able to drink those 8 ounces without overwhelming your stomach before the half hour is up.Do that every half an hour between 9 AM and 5 PM, and you'll get 2 liters down easily.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

    ~Julius Caesar


Similar Threads

  1. I am losing my mind from this constant pain!!
    By bcsimpsons in forum Pain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
  2. can you say this sucks
    By redroc2 in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
  3. Well this just sucks....
    By Cappy in forum Care
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •