Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which hand controls...?

Which hand controls...?

For those of you who have hand controls on your vehicles.....which brand/type do you use?

Has anyone had any experience with these?
    Sure Grip

Thanks

"...I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it". ~Henry David Thoreau

Monarch Mark IV been using them for 19 years same set, a few peices have been replaced here & there but otherwise bullet proof

That's the type that was in the first car I drove while still in the hospital. They felt solid, and will probably be what I get when I get my car.

I drove a van with the Monarch controls and I didn't like them at all. They felt cheap to me, and they'd hit my knee so I couldn't get full throttle. I almost couldn't get the damn van up a hill because of it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I have MPD controls in my car. I like 'em. I was looking at the site you posted, I think it would be weird to drive having to pull the lever back all the time. With a push down for gas control all you have to do is hook your finger on it and rest your hand for gas, less muscle strain I think.

ive only ever used mpd, work great, no maintenance

JDR,
    I drive an 03' Ford van and have the sure grip. I think it's great, but I have had problems a couple of times where they become jammed when driving. Had them looked at but they found no malfunction. It's nice because I can drive w/ one hand. Just use two fingers to accelerate and my thumb to steer. I had the sure grip mounted as close to the wheel as possible. Good luck in your findings.
    Ed
    T-10 complete Jan. 03'

I don't have firsthand knowledge yet but they are the type I've picked. Hopefully be able to let you in a month or so.

This will be my first set of controls, so won't be able to give a comparison.

Here is another view of them on their webpage.

www.suregrip-hvl.com/handposition.html

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

I've got MPDs currently, used 'em for > 5yrs w/ zero maintenance. As long as I'm not making a big turn, I can drive w/ one hand as well (& I'm C6/7). I like the fact that the Sure Grip doesn't have a bar that I wouldn't jam into my knee when accelerating hard, but I'm with Andy... I don't know about having to pull back on the accelerator all the time. It's very easy to just "rest" my hand on the MPDs.

Thanks for the info everyone. I've tried out the Sure Grip and the Monarch brand hand controls. I actually felt much more comfortable driving with the Sure Grips. They seemed to be more quickly responsive than the others and didn't start with a "jerk" on first accelleration. I think I'm going to go with those.

"...I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it". ~Henry David Thoreau

With the SureGrip you don't actually pull back, it's more of a pivot motion. When I drove with them, I just rested my palm on top and pushed down to go.

JDR I noticed the same thing between the two. The SureGrip seemed more smooth and controled. With the Monarch, there seemed to be a huge "null zone" then it kicked it. It took a while to get used to it.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.