Thread: Article In PN Magazine

Article In PN Magazine

In September's issue of PVA's PN Magazine I wrote an article concerning the lack of people with visible disabilities being featured in TV and print advertising. My premise is that advertising, especially TV ads, causes ABs to see us as consumers of goods and all around good people. It is my contention that placing miniroities in every day advertising has contributed more to their inclusion than any other action(s). TV commercials featuring minorities has played a positive influence in their being mainstreamed, and the same outcome would happen to us if we push and prod corporations into doing the right thing--showing folks with visible disabilities are real people living real lives.

Give the article a careeful read and perhaps you will agree with me.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I read the article. Very good job, and I hope it inspires others to at least mention the issue to people they do business with. Money talks.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I quit PN a couple years ago, seems every single article was how to get places with a caretaker only, nothing wrong with that, but i'd like to see some artciles of just going places by yourself in a chair
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I read the article and thought it was good even before I knew the author was you waza. Good job!

bruce, We started getting PN several months ago and my impression was the opposite-some of the places like the Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska looked like you would have to be quite independant to manage.
    I have not seen older issues though.

Going ItClone

Bruce C, give PN another try. You will see many stories about PWDs doing and going places on their own. Their coveraage of the Veteerans Games in Richmond, Va. is a good example. You will not read about these folks' accomplishments eleswhere.

I am passionate about getting people with visible disabilities in print and TV advertising. It is a certain path to includiveness for all of us.

Contact the corporations you do business and insist they feature PWDs in some of their advertising. It will make a difference in your life if they take this simole step.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now