Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pistol Suggestions for a C-7 Quad

Blog Entries
    I've been shooting/carrying a Smith and Wesson .38cal (model 638-3) revolver, with Crimson Trace laser grips, IWB and have been really happy with it. Small, very light weight, loaded with +P has decent energy, and carries quite discreetly. I think it would work better than a semiauto for a quad, too.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I bought a Sig Sauer p238 chambered in .380 a couple months ago. It is really a miniature 1911 style pistol. The trigger pull weight was around 8lbs. so I had a guy reduce it down to 5lbs. The extended magazine hold 7 rounds and gives me a little more of a grip. The slide is such that I am able to "rack the slide" or "charge it" with the grip on my left hand and without any assistive devices such as a Slide Pull Assist or Charging Handle. I also put on a Crimson Trace laser.

Yesterday I went back to the indoor range with the Sig p238 and my Glock 26 and 19. With the Sig, I pounded 35 rounds into the target about 10 ft. away without a hiccup. Now I am really new at shooting but what a sweet feeling! I then got out my Glock 26 and had the gun jam after 1 shot, failure to eject, failure to feed and so on. So frustrating. The guy I was with tried my Glock 26 and bam, bam, bam, bam, bam......no problems for him. I then got out my Glock 19.....same problems for me. My friend then tried the Glock 19 and he rattled off 4-5 shots flawlessly. So I'm obviously the problem....probably "limp wristing" even though I tried the grip and stabilize the Glocks as tightly as I could. So I bought range time with an instructor at the facility for $50. If I can't get any positive results with the Glocks after that I assume I will just sell them.

Anyway, right now that Sig Sauer p238 seems to be the pistol for me. I shot some FMJ 95 grain Federal American Eagle ammo and some Hornady 90 grain Critical Defense ammo without a problem. It was a little difficult to activate the CT laser while gripping the pistol but hopefully it will become a non-issue. I have a lot to learn about firearms and I need a lot more range time with different ammo. But finally I think I've found a manageable pistol. I've read a lot about the ongoing debate between the effectiveness of a .380 vs 9mm pistols. But anyway carrying a .380 is far more effective than the 9mm or .45 pistol that you've left at home because they are too large to comfortably conceal and carry. I don't carry yet.

Thanks for all the input, comments and suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W4AVpxvGgg

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ig-sauer-p238/

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...-sauer/01-7070

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18

No worries, man. At the ranges that matter for self defense that .380 will be just fine. Sig makes serious quality pieces, too. Sounds like a very nice fit. I've found Glocks more sensitive to grip issues than other brands, too. My wife gets limp wrist type failures with them but can shoot my FNs and 1911s without trouble. I'd sell them and not look back!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    Agreed, something is better than nothing. Have you tried putting a lighter recoil spring in your 9's? It's harder on the gun but may help with the limp wristing.
    Great idea about recoil springs! I go the other way, heavier, which I find helps tame muzzle flip, but lighter would compensate for a loose grip, to some extent. Good call.

Oddity, Thx for the input. Why do you think a revolver would be better than a semiautomatic for a quad? I did shoot a revolver in my firearms training class and I don't recall any dramatic improvement. My Sig p238 is a semi and I don't seem to have any trouble with it. And it's 7+1 rounds while your S&W revolver is only 5 or 6 rounds. Also, if I can ever manage the recoil from the Glocks the magazine capacity is 10+1 or almost twice as many rounds as a revolver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Oddity, Thx for the input. Why do you think a revolver would be better than a semiautomatic for a quad? I did shoot a revolver in my firearms training class and I don't recall any dramatic improvement. My Sig p238 is a semi and I don't seem to have any trouble with it. And it's 7+1 rounds while your S&W revolver is only 5 or 6 rounds. Also, if I can ever manage the recoil from the Glocks the magazine capacity is 10+1 or almost twice as many rounds as a revolver.
    I think a revolver would be easier than a semi-auto, for a quad, because there is no slide, or thumb safety, to manipulate, and there is no chance of a "limp wrist"/compromised grip related malfunction. I'd think with speed loaders easier to empty and reload, also, but I reckon that would boil down to practice (as with any platform you use!).

Higher magazine capacity with semi-autos is nice. For me, it's a lower consideration than other aspects of concealed carry. I'm not looking to be in a "shoot out". Who is, really?!?!?! The only time I can imagine engaging with a firearm in public is against an immediate, close proximity, personal threat to my life. I'm not a cop, or a super-hero, or a vigilante wanna-be. Dumping 10+ rounds isn't what I feel I want, or need, to be able to do. If I'm in a situation where 5-6 .357mag or .38spl+P+ isn't enough then I think it's safe to assume I made other less than ideal choices leading up to that!

Which brings up the fact you could handle a MUCH stronger cartridge with a revolver than .380auto; lending itself to needing fewer down range, to get similar ft/lbs of energy into the target. Something to think about, anyway!

Also, when it comes to concealed carry, I'm of the school of thought: "all of the time, or none of the time". The small (J frame) S&W revolvers carry easier for me day in and day out. I do, occasionally, run an officer/commander size 1911. Doing so everyday, after a month I'm ready to just leave it at home. It's a heavy enough weight on my shoulders choosing to be prepared, and carrying, without having to deal withe the actual bulk and weight of a larger handgun.

FWIW, I checked out the SiG 238 and 938 at the local gun store and really liked them. Small, light, terrific fit and finish. Seem like ideal carry guns. If a semi-auto 9x19 is your ideal loadout, check out the P938. Testing off the shelf I noticed it was MUCH softer sprung than any of the Glocks. Might be worth trading the glock in towards?!?

Bottom line, IMHO, it isn't about caliber or magazine capacity. It's about shot placement. And that's about PRACTICE!!! If you can't hit the CNS while under extreme stress, no amount (or type) of rounds will be much more than a liability; to yourself, and to bystanders. If you CAN reliably hit the CNS while under stress then one of ANY type of round will do the job.

Blog Entries
    Messy day at the range today! Took way longer to clean them all than to shoot them!

You might want to look into coatings for your slide. There's some textured coatings not quite as gritty as sandpaper but still offer more grip surface than bare metal. Also, there are techniques for chambering a round without hand capacity. These are taught so that, say you got shot in one arm, you can rack the slide on your pants pocket or anything else that might catch the rear sights. Pants and belts work for bipeds. Practice, without rounds in, on chair components. Corner of seat cushion, tire, coated handrim, etc.
    Last edited by Tman9513; 05-06-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's a great suggestion. Short of the expense of an aftermarket coating, I really like GT-5000 Grip Tape. It's rubberized (not gritty) and works on both grip frames and slides equally well. I've had it on 3 of my handguns (2 on grip and 1 on slide) for pushing 3 years now and it has proven very effective and durable. If applied according to instructions, it doesn't peel up along the edges, or even after many a dousing with cleaning solvent. I was skeptical at first, but I swear by it now.