Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carpal tunnel syndrome surgery How long to get well etc,I'm a complete T9

carpal tunnel syndrome surgery How long to get well etc,I'm a complete T9

I have a bad case of it in my left hand. I have already had the injection and it didn't last long. The bones in my wrist grind and the tendon in my thumb that goes to my wrist bone is very painful. That's where I got the shot.

Even worse is the little finger and ring finger on my right hand goes to sleep. I can't imangine not being able to use my hand after surgery to tranfer. I haven't decided to have the surgery. I do have a hard wrist thingie and wrap an ace bandage around it to wear at night but it hasn't helped.

I got this from reading to much by holding the book up and keeping the books open wide with my thunb. Of course useing my wc. I didn't realize how much strain we use on our thunbs and wrist until I started to have pain.

Now I wonder what to expect if I had surgery. I would imangine I wouldn't be able to tranfer for a long while. Has anyone had the surgery? Any ideas.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

I am getting operated on Wednesday on the right hand...
    Will be able to tell you.

Doc says that it is painful, but you can be mobile immediately following the op.

Chris

Having it done orthoscopically will definitely be faster as far as healing is concerned. Still, my doctor recommended at least six weeks without stress on the area. I was transferring the day I came home. The first day was very painful, and for the next week or so after that it was very uncomfortable. Now my hand is worse.

The key to this surgery is to do exactly as the doctor says, and take the six weeks, even if it feels okay. It will come back to bite you in the end if you don't. Good luck. I hope you have a successful and quick recovery.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 09-01-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: wording

I was okay for transfers the day after surgery, with a splint. see: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...23&postcount=6

Blog Entries
    My experience was that you won't use the hand for two weeks and then light use for the next for weeks.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Thanks for all the information. At least I know what to expect.
    ckhouri--I would like to know how you will far after your surgery.

I also have a molded splint made for me when I was at the dr's office to wear at night but I failed to wear it as often as I was told.

So thank you all.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

For me, I did everything to stay away from surgery. Chiro, Pt, OT,massage. Just remember, once it's cut, there's no going back. I suggest you try alternative methods first, if you haven't already.

Of those who had the surgery, how many have had it last longterm?

Quote Originally Posted by maryonwheels46 View Post
    I also have a molded splint made for me when I was at the dr's office to wear at night but I failed to wear it as often as I was told.

Mary
    Yes, that was what I used, before and after surgery. Didn't do me any good before, but was very useful after. I think I used it for a couple of months after, just to make sure. My fingers were free so I could do most things.
    The surgeon said with AB people they do physio to get the fingers back in use, but in my case it wasn't needed cos I'm using it anyway pushing the wheelchair. It just all came back after the surgery, pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

Of those who had the surgery, how many have had it last longterm?
    My symptoms started in 1990, from driving across Australia one-handed. Surgery in 1992. Pretty well completely cured long term. Recently I have some symptoms, which may be carpal tunnel related in part, according to the nerve conduction study. But I have a problem with my neck nerve as well.

I had surgery done the beginning of January. Mine had gotten so bad I could'nt even use my right hand anymore. I had to learn to do everything left handed. I did'nt think I would ever get it back, but I finally agreed to the surgery and wished I had done it much sooner.

The pain was'nt too bad. I had my elbow done at the same time....the nerves were pinched in the wrist and elbow too and most of the pain was at the elbow. I was told I could use my hand to whatever degree it would take. You know if you are doing too much with it. I was worried about that too, but was able to get by, and after the first few days, it got better. Before the surgery, it was hard to even move my fingers, and on the way home from surgery is when I noticed I was moving my fingers and hand way better already.

I'm to have my left hand done next, but had to cancel that one for now due to a lack of potassium. I have to wait until that goes up.....and stays up before the surgeon will do it. But I agree with him, better to do it before it gets as bad as my right hand got! Good luck with yours!