Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Regeneration vs Cell Replacement Therapies

Wise, thank you for your answer!

This is wonderful news and i will contact you in the near future in hopes that the leading scientists of this world will coloborate to free us!!!

Seneca,
    According to you, on the second page of this thread, Wise Young wrote exactly what i stated on the second paragraph of which you posted in regards to what was going on in his labratory and i thank you again..

Gods speed for a cure~
    Susan

Quad62,

thank you for your kindness, the money will go towards finding a cure..

i promise to do my very best to make sure we find the cure ASAP!!!

Gods speed~

Superstar, we have been working closely with the Bunge laboratory. About a year ago, we tried giving rolipram to animals and did not find any effect in acute spinal cord injury, this was before the Miami Project gave Rolipram plus db cAMP alongside Schwann cell transplants. When they came out with their results, we of course contacted them and have been trying to reproduce their finding that combination low-dose rolipram plus db cAMP markedly increases cAMP levels in the spinal cord. Please understand that we carry out our animal studies with "masked" therapies so that our researchers do not know the treatments delivered and thus the evaluations of the animals will not be biased by the knowledge of which animals received what therapy. I have one graduate student working full-time on this project.

Wise.

Wise,

When will your rats be done with there experimental trial and the outcome of such a combination be know?

What is your opinion for an effective combination for a cure with this stradegy...

1) eliminate barries- (scar tissue, NOGO,)

2) replace lost neurons- (stem cells)

3) stimultate axonal growth- (GDNF, BDNF, Inosine, NT3, NGF, CNTF,replicons-genetic therapy)

4) remylination (OEC, Schwan cell or Oligodendrisits)

5) Snapitic genisis

6) Intensive PT

7) these are what i have found to be effective in my personal research within the last year or so, but i am sure there is more that you aware of..??..

Some of these have been around for decades. We need an effective combonation to restore function and accomplish a cure.

Gods speed for a cure,
    Susan

thanks

Superstar,

Your tenacious manner is admirable!

Suzanne

Suzanne,

Born with it! thank you though...

Wise,

When said, "Rolipram has not been given in ASSOCIATION with cell transplants in CHRONIC animal or human subjects."

Does this mean that people, such as myself, who have been injured more than 10 days will not be cured if this is found to be effective?

Gods speed for a cure~

Susan,

No, all it means is that we don't know. I must say that our initial experience with rolipram alone has not been encouraging. We saw no effect of a relatively high dose of rolipram alone on contused spinal cords. I think that this has been the experience of the Miami group as well. We are now assessing the effects of rolipram plus db cAMP and OEG transplants, at different times after injury. I don't know the results of these experiments yet.

Wise.

Hi Superstar, in my opinion, chronic injuries would still have hope if Rolipram in association with cell transplants is found to have no effect on chronic injuries. There are other baskets in which to place our eggs. There's still NOGO, Inosine, Cethrin, other combinations and yet to be discovered therapies that could be of benefit to chronics. Therapies are tested in acute models first because the likehood for a positive outcome is higher which is important when future funding hangs on positive results.

[This message was edited by seneca on 08-14-04 at 09:54 PM.]

Sen and all,

An email I received from Dr. Lanser on July 13th.

"...BLSI will hopefully be starting human trials with Inosine for stroke this summer. If it works in stroke, we will begin human trials in spinal cord injury probably mid-late 2005, but that will be in "acute" injuries first. If it works in acute sci then we will move on to "chronic" sci.

Sincerely,
    Marc Lanser, MD"

I won't be holding my breath for BLSI to jump to the forefront for chronics.
    Thanks
    lway

Right Lway, since everything is tested in acutes first we'll have to hope that these therapies work in chronics as well. We can place our eggs in the nogo/inosine/cethrin/other combo. basket if Rolipram is shown not to work. That combo. is not our only hope even if the other studies are currently focusing on acute injuries.