Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Regeneration vs Cell Replacement Therapies

Luigi,
    I appologize for the length of time it took me to respond, please forgive me.

When i said that i payed a high price and have no regrets, i did. Scott hit the nail on the head in regards to the cost, but i also put my life on the line and felt very priviledged at that point in my life to do so with the hopes that i would be cured. I believed that i would be cured and still do! There where also other risks because the procedure was very new, such as, i did not know if i would ever taste delicious food again or smell anything. Fourtanatly, this was not the case and my sense of taste and smell came back within a week or so. Once again, i have no regrets and smile upon doctors that truly try and restore what has been broken in intelligent procedures.. I look forward for my next time to pay that "high price"!
    Gods speed for a cure~
    Susan

Speaking of the Gelsinger case...I have heard anecdotally that one of Dr. Lima's patients died within a week of having the nasal OEG transplant procedure. Anyone else hear this?

AB wife of T8 complete para

Belle,

Nope, never heard of this one, everyone is alive and still using wheelchairs.

Gods speed~
    Susan

[This message was edited by Superstar on 09-01-04 at 03:06 PM.]

Originally posted by scott pruett:

I've been out of the cure forum loop for a couple weeks, but had a brief chat w/ superstar tonight, which prompted me to check this out.

I have to say that I do agree with Susan's perspective here. Wise, please know that I highly respect your professional stance; my father is a surgeon & I know there are a gazillion issues to consider... but for the sake of finding a cure for SCI, please give the rebels among us a chance to plow through some uncharted territory here. Sure, scientifically it may sound unwise, but it goes back to the point that there are some of us who are simply desperate to keep the ball rolling faster than data from lab rats will.

Sure, it helps to be smart about what steps to take (pardon the pun), and knowing which to avoid. I do understand there are risks. Personally some of those I'm not willing to take... but there are folks who will. It sounds harsh, but in reality, look at CJO, Handibob, qbclay, Susan, and several others who have invested big bucks into experimental treatments... for what? They didn't know what to expect. But hope drove them to try.

They are the pioneers that we are learning first hand from. They've taken huge risks physically and financially. But they've told us a lot, and I value their feedback a whole lot more than data taken from lab animals who don't have any sense of what real life consists of for us as individuals in society. Let's not even forget how Susan & Laura's living testimonies impacted our society's leaders in the US government.

Yes, by all means keep using rats. But let's open up the floodgates & get some human trials going (yes, I know, collectively we're working towards that goal). No, it won't be perfect. Sure, funding is an issue. But is it an impossible barrier to take down? Nope. Do we necessarily have to wait on the government? Nope. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Don't discourage those willing to try, unless undeniable hazards are existent. Then simply inform those willing... let them sign their consent forms... and let's see what happens. It may be disastrous, but it may be glorious. A lot of research has already taken place, and I like to trust that the research community knows the best directions to point us in. Don't you agree?

best regards,
    ~ scott

p.s. please don't assume from this that I don't support organized, controlled, and structured research. I do 100%. I just think there's potential to be unleashed by those willing to let the rebel inside of them pave a course as well.

Very well said!

Gods speed for a cure~

Wise,

When will your rats be done with there experimental trial and the outcome of such a combination be know?

What is your opinion for an effective combination for a cure with this stradegy...

1) eliminate barries- (scar tissue, NOGO,)

2) replace lost neurons- (stem cells)

3) stimultate axonal growth- (GDNF, BDNF, Inosine, NT3, NGF, CNTF,replicons-genetic therapy)

4) remylination (OEC, Schwan cell or Oligodendrisits)

5) Snapitic genisis

6) Intensive PT

7) these are what i have found to be effective in my personal research within the last year or so, but i am sure there is more that you aware of..??..

Some of these have been around for decades. We need an effective combonation to restore function and accomplish a cure.

Gods speed for a cure,
    Susan

thanks

Wise,
    you asked for our opinion, ???
    thanks!

Susan, the combination therapies that have been reported to be synergistic include:

1. Cheng, et al. (1995). Peripheral nerve bridging plus fibroblast growth factor are more effective than individual therapies alone.
      Xiao Ming Xu (2003). GDNF and chondroitinase markedly increase axonal growth into and out of Schwann cell channels implanted into hemisected spinal cord
      Pearce, Bunge, et al. (2004). Rolipram (PDE-4 inhibitor), dibutyryl cAMP, and Schwann cell transplants together significantly improve locomotor recovery more than individual therapies.
      Grumet, et al. (2004). Fetal neural stem cells (radial glial cells) plus the soluble cell adhesion molecule L1 synergistically improves axonal regeneration and locomotor recovery.
      Wu, So, et al. (2004). Chondroitinase plus lithium chloride stimulates rubrospinal regeneration and improves recovery more than chondroitinase alone.