Thread: Different kinds of fevers?

Different kinds of fevers?

Edited to simplify the question.

Usually a fever comes with high temp and chills. This fever I have(had) came with high temp but no chills.

Is there a difference between these fevers?

I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just an answer to a simple question.
    Last edited by Cspine; 09-02-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Death and taxes

If you have been on an antibiotic for over 48 hours and there is no improvement in your condition you should return to the ER or your provider ASAP if you feel ill also.

pbr

Hey B, I hate to hear that you're having problems. I've followed your recent threads.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks kiddo, I'm finally on the mend.

Nobody knows about the 2 types of fevers? Damn.
    Death and taxes

Osteo can have no symptoms and when bad, it can cause fever, chills and nausea. That was my experience. I was fine one minute and sick as a dog the next.

Still worth pursuing an MRI - even if healing - to check on infection in the area but I tend to be overcautious (along with my doc given my history) and I don't have to pay for things like that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

fevers are cause by viruses, bacteria, immunity issues, etc. If you have many medical issues going on all at the same time, a provider would need to do blood cultures, lab work, possibly MRIs and maybe even get an infectious disease expert in on this. There is no easy answer to your question.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is no easy answer to your question.

pbr
    I'm not asking why I had a fever, I'm asking why some fevers give people the chills and some make them feel hot. I don't see why that's so difficult to answer.
    Death and taxes

Your body temp is regulated by your hypothalamus, which monitors your body's actual temp and also sets the thermostat that tell your body what temp to be at. If your hypothalamus is telling your body that you need to be at 102, but you are only at 100, then your body will respond with the chills in an attempt to get you up to the "right" temp. If your body is warming up at the same rate that your hypothalamus is telling it to, then you won't get the chills. That's the short of it, anyway.