Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: StemCells To Present Interim Data

i have told the study nurse that i will market the the stem Cell inc programme on the cc to help them recruit suitable candidates.

Step one
    one has to read the inclusion/exclusion criteria very well. do not apply if all the inclusion criteria are not strictly met. One my apply on line or in post for inclusion. it is best to supply medical info, hospital reports, cd of MRI about injury and other conditions.
    stem cell inc may reply back asking you to sign a consent form in which they can be able to access your medical records from a hospital source and the names of your local Drs who had carried out surgery on your spinal injury.

you will then be sent and asked to read very well a protocol agreement and sign it for consent.

stem cell inc will/might then invite you and and a partner to visit their hospital in Switzerland Bulgrist university hospital zurich for a preliminary screening test. All expenses, flights, airport taxi, accommodation, food and lodge for two persons will be paid by stem cell inc. You will be given an intensive programme (1 week) in which the University hospital will carry out their own tests, mri, Blood samples and a multitude of other tests. You will be informed and even given a written report and results of all tests carried out.

if found suitable you will be given a date for the procedure to be done. Dr Armin Curt or the study doctor will give you an very indepth explanation as what will be done, how it will be done,the risk assessment and also the possile side effects and other things that may be not expected, nothing is left out even the very remote possibility of cow disease.

you will be asked by stem cell inc to come back over a 4 year period (all expenses paid) for monitoring of the study and your condition.
    At any time as signed in your agreement you can leave the study for no apparent reason, neither are you obliged to explain why nor will you be asked to pay anything. The latter is a pity as by now the cost of the study and investment is quite substantial.
    Last edited by peterf; 09-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Ok-this may sound stupid but... I have read the inclusion criteria and they want preservation of conus function. How can you have that and still be an ASIA A? My injury is at T8. How do I know?

The 3 ASIA A cohort has already had the procedure done.
    i do not know that they are seeking other asia A candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    Ok-this may sound stupid but... I have read the inclusion criteria and they want preservation of conus function. How can you have that and still be an ASIA A? My injury is at T8. How do I know?
    I think by that they mean not damaged. I believe T8 is high enough not to damage it

Thanks!

StemCells, Inc. Achieves Spinal Cord Injury Milestone With First Neural Stem Cell Transplant Into Patient With Sensory Function Below the Level of Injury

NEWARK, Calif., Sept. 27, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- StemCells, Inc. (Nasdaq:STEM) today announced that the first patient with an incomplete spinal cord injury has been enrolled in the Company's Phase I/II clinical trial in chronic spinal cord injury and transplanted with the Company's proprietary HuCNS-SC® neural stem cells. The patient, a Canadian man who suffered a thoracic spinal cord injury from a sports-related accident, was administered the cells yesterday at Balgrist University Hospital, University of Zurich, a world leading medical center for spinal cord injury and rehabilitation. This is the first patient in the second cohort of the trial, which will be comprised of four patients who retain some sensory function below the level of trauma and are therefore considered to have an incomplete injury.

"This is an important milestone for StemCells and the spinal cord injury community as it is the first time anyone has ever transplanted neural stem cells into a patient with an incomplete injury," said Stephen Huhn, MD, FACS, FAAP, Vice President and Head of the CNS Program at StemCells, Inc. "Given the encouraging interim data from the most severely injured patient cohort that we reported earlier this month, testing patients with less severe injury should afford us an even better opportunity to continue to test safety and to detect and assess clinical changes. Unlike the patients in the first cohort, patients with incomplete injuries have retained a degree of spinal cord function that might be even further augmented by transplantation with neural stem cells."

Earlier this month, the Company reported that interim six-month data from the first patient cohort in the Phase I/II clinical trial continued to demonstrate a favorable safety profile, and showed considerable gains in sensory function in two of the three patients compared to pre-transplant baselines. Patients in the first cohort all suffered a complete injury to their spinal cord, leaving them with no neurological function below the level of injury. Following transplantation with HuCNS-SC cells, there were no abnormal clinical, electrophysiological or radiological responses to the cells, and all the patients were neurologically stable through the first six months after transplantation. Changes in sensitivity to touch, heat and electrical stimuli were observed in well-defined and consistent areas below the level of injury in two of the patients, while the third patient remained stable. Importantly, the changes in sensory function were confirmed objectively by measures of electrical impulse transmission across the site of injury, each of which correlated with the clinical examination.
    Complete article: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/stemce...20120927-00627