Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

I don't need to be cured and that's what you want to call it.. I will settle for being healed.. And no expectations of being the way I was eight years ago.. Considering I am a C-3 being able to take a shower by myself, taking a blanket off in the middle of the night would be great.. And 8 years away for this is ridiculous need to do it 2 years.. Tell me which country I will be on the next Airplane.. Just want to be healed,

keiffer66

I'm just as anxious as the next guy but I would heed Young's advice and wait. At least wait another 2 years for the research dust to settle.

For me I'm just trying to stay as healthy as possible.

Are there any para's out there who suffer elbow or shoulder problems from overuse?

Would you recommend going electric to save the shoulders?

Originally posted by Keith:

I don't need to be cured and that's what you want to call it.. I will settle for being healed.. And no expectations of being the way I was eight years ago.. Considering I am a C-3 being able to take a shower by myself, taking a blanket off in the middle of the night would be great.. And 8 years away for this is ridiculous need to do it 2 years.. Tell me which country I will be on the next Airplane.. Just want to be healed,

keiffer66

Originally posted by Keith:

keiffer66
    there will be a cure in two years

What one man can do another can do

I just have a few questions:

People should avoid procedures that cause irreversible loss of peripheral nerve and other functions.
    Which procedures are being spoken of here?

Also, is anyone aware of any funding that a student could access for equipment such as an FES bike? I'll be doing some research in the upcoming month, but I'd like to know if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks,
    Kiran

~And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all- Socrates~

Hi Globe,

Jesse asked this question on page 2 of this thread. Here's Dr. Young's response:

Jessecj7

Member posted 07-24-04 02:59 PM テつ*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posted by Wise Young

quote:
    People should avoid procedures that cause irreversible loss of peripheral nerve and other functions.

Dr. Wise, what type of procedures are you talking about??
    Wise Young

Administrator posted 07-24-04 04:07 PM テつ*
    Peripheral nerve bridging therapies where the peripheral nerve is cut such as what was done in Italy, the stimulator system for bladder function where the sensory roots are cut, transection of the spinal cord to treat pain (this is ineffective for most cases), etc. Wise.
    Posts: 14147テつ*|テつ*From: New Brunswick, NJ, USAテつ*|テつ*Registered: 07-23-01

窶「 Both spasticity/spasms and neuropathic pain involve hyperexcitability (abnormally increased activity of neurons). These result from two mechanisms. The first is disinhibition. Over half of the descending and ascending connections of the spinal cord cord are inhibitory, i.e. directly inhibitory by release of GABA or glycine neurotransmitters or connect to inhibitory interneurons (neurons that connect to other neurons in your spinal cord as opposed to motoneurons that connect to muscles). Many of the inhibitory connections connect to the sensory fibers that come into the spinal cord, i.e. called pre-synaptic inhibition. When these inhibitory connections are disconnected, the neurons that they previously innervated will become hyperexcitable. Second, disconnected neurons can get hyperexcitable all by themselves. Hyperexcitable neurons send inappropriate signals to the brain. These signals are often interpreted by the brain as neuropathic pain. That is why inhibitory neurotransmitters (e.g. baclofen, clonidine, tizanidine), drugs that change neurotransmitter levels (e.g. amitryptaline), and anti-epileptics (e.g. neurontin) are sometimes useful for treating spasticity/spasms and neuropathic pain.

Wise,

I read above and also in answer to Question 1 about pain sensations. So this means new therapies will help those with central/neuropathic pain? Can you provide me with a brief discription how and in very easy terms, for a layman to understand. (when you have the time)

Thanks,
    Leia

Dr. Young can you please post a diagram or a 3d like image of the spinal cord and its elements. Just to get a better visual understanding?

Princess Leia posts:
    I read above and also in answer to Question 1 about pain sensations. So this means new therapies will help those with central/neuropathic pain? Can you provide me with a brief discription how and in very easy terms, for a layman to understand. (when you have the time)
    To date, there have been few studies of how regeneration may reduce neuropathic pain. Many scientists have expressed apprehension that therapies that promote regeneration and sprouting may promote indiscrimate connections and contribute to neuropathic pain. Of course, experience with the effect of regeneration on neuropathic has been very limited in human (because there have been few regenerative therapies that have been tried on humans). Dr. Huang has observed and some people here have reported that they have a transient period of "pain" in the areas where they recover sensation after olfactory ensheathing glial transplants. I don't know how consistent it is but am glad that it seems to be transient. One CareCure member, TimC, had neuropathic pain before he went and reports that it had gotten worse after he came back (see eijing - Tim C's OEG surgery report. However, neuropathic pain did not develop in several other people who did not have neuropathic pain before they had the olfactory ensheathing glial transplants (See Summary of topics related to Dr. Huang's OEG procedure).

Wise.

I have a question. If Dr. Huang is doing great things in China, why the delay here in the states? It seems like we should be able to replicate his work fairly quickly.

aten, good question. You would think that the answer is yes. The specific therapy that Dr. Huang is using may not be so easy to replicate in the United States because he is using fetal olfactory ensheathing glial cells. Dr. Lima's nasal mucosa transplant would be doable in the United States. Dr. McKay-Sims olfactory ensheathing glia cells cultured from the nose would be doable as well. I don't know. I am sorry to have to repeat myself but the reason may be lack of money for spinal cord injury clinical trials of therapies not supported by industry. Wise.