Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 145455565758596061626364

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Dr. Young I was wondering if you could do a reevaluation of #2

JamesMcM, please remember that I wrote the above in 2004, just as we were starting ChinaSCINet, before Christopher Reeve died and before we had the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression, leading to a flat-lining of not just spinal cord injury research but all of biomedical research in the United States. Both of these factors contributed to a slowdown in the research and clinical trials. Nevertheless, I think that my prediction of some therapies restoring function to people with chronic spinal cord injury in 8 years is coming true. We are seeing a therapy (umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells) improve locomotor function in people with chronic complete spinal cord injury. We are seeing multiple laboratories reporting successful regeneration of the spinal cord. There is evidence that such regeneration may yield substantial function if the regeneration is accompanied with intensive task-specific training. Many therapies are in the pipeline. Clinical trials are going. Wise.

That makes my day especially thinking that by 2020 or 2025 we should be seeing the full fruits of the dedecated work of the medical scientifc profession and their support. from the positive feedback from the trials going now.