Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yes, it would be great if everybody could make a phone call to Governor Cuomo to support restoring funding to the New York State Spinal Cord Research Program.

Please call the gov's CITIZEN SERVICES UNIT--518-474-1041-- and leave a message with the following statement:

My name is xxxx. I am calling to urge the governor to amend his 2013-2014 budget to include funding for the New York State Spinal Cord Injury Research Program.
    If you want to add that you have SCI or know somebody with SCI, that is fine but not necessary.

I just called and said my name, urged the governor to amend his 2013-204 budget to fund the NY SCIRP and thanked him. It took 30 seconds. If successful, this should restore $8.5 million per year to spinal cord injury research in New York State.

This needs to be done soon. Governor Cuomo has to submit his 2013-2014 budget to the legislature by February 27, 2013.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.

I'm calling now...thanks Dr. Young.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Just left a message. Hope it helps.

left a message too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

People should avoid procedures that cause irreversible loss of peripheral nerve and other functions.
    How about DREZ? Is that something that falls in this category?

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    How about DREZ? Is that something that falls in this category?
    A DREZ (Dorsal Root Entry Zone) procedure should result in sensory loss for the segmental level that was lesioned. If you have severe pain in one dermatome, this procedure may help reduce the pain. If so, I think that it would be worth the loss of one dermatome, i.e. the sensation for one segmental level.

Procedures that are difficult to reverse include sphincterotomy (cutting the sphincter to the bladder), bladder augmentation with mitrofanoff appendicovesicostomy, and transection of the spinal cord.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    I'm calling now...thanks Dr. Young.
    Thanks to you and others for calling. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    2. When will a cure be available?
    • Some therapies are restoring substantial function to some people. These are what I call the first generation therapies which include treatments like weight-supported treadmill ambulation training, decompression and untethering of a spinal cord that is compressed. Some preliminary data suggest that certain cell transplants such as olfactory ensheathing glia transplants will restore 4-8 levels of sensory function and 1-2 levels of motor function. None of these therapies can be construed as a cure. Second generation therapies are beginning to come into clinical trial and should be available in a few years. These include nasal mucosa olfactory ensheathing glia, Schwann cell transplants, and perhaps even embryonic stem cells. The latter unfortunately have been mired in political debate and has already been delayed by 4 years. In addition, several therapies such as Nogo receptor blockers and Nogo antibodies, glial-derived neurotrophic factor, chondroitinase, and other treatments are being developed for clinical trial and may come on line within a year or two. The timing of such treatments depends on the availability of funding for clinical trials. But, if sufficient funding were available, I think that some of these treatments will be shown to be effective and will be available in 4 years. Finally, third generation therapies will be closer to the "cure". These include possible combination cell transplant therapies with growth factors and other treatments that stimulate regeneration of the spinal cord. These should produce more recovery in more people. For example, cell transplants combined with drugs such as glial-derived neurotrophic factor, chondroitinase ABC, and cAMP/rolipram have been reported to produce significantly better regeneration in rats compared to individual treatments. The rate at which these treatments get into clinical trial depend on the amount of funding available for clinical trial. If funding were made available, I think that some of third generation therapies will be available as soon as 8 years from now.
    Dr. Wise Young,
    Do you think we are still in this timewindow? I of course know that you can only assume or predict it and cant give us a guarantee but are you satisfied with the development of the research?Or do you have to adjust some things because of the status ´´now´´ (faster?slower?)
    Thank you
    KK11

Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    Dr. Wise Young,
    Do you think we are still in this timewindow? I of course know that you can only assume or predict it and cant give us a guarantee but are you satisfied with the development of the research?Or do you have to adjust some things because of the status ´´now´´ (faster?slower?)
    Thank you
    KK11
    KK11,

I don't like to predict because so much is based on factors beyond our control. For example, our clinical trials in China were delayed by nearly two years because of regulatory changes in that country. How fast we proceed with our trials depend in part on our success in fundraising. Finally, of course, the trials may not meet our expectations. With each iteration of the clinical trials, my confidence in the umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium treatment increased. So, from a scientific point of view, I am optimistic that we will see a significant improvement of locomotor function.

Our goal is to initiate a global phase III as soon as possible. In theory, we should be able to get regulatory approval and funding for the trials by the end of this year. It may not all occur simultaneously but I hope that we can have most of the trials initiated by the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014. By the end of a year, perhaps two years, we should see some improvement. Let's say that the trial starts 2014 and takes 2 years, we are talking knowing the results by 2016.

Wise.