Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Originally posted by Chris2:

"Chris2, you sound like you are feeling better. I am so glad. Wise."

Thanks so much Wise. I AM feeling much better - I am so glad too!
    Chris,

I am so glad for you tooo!
    Yes, we are very lucky to have Dr. Young!

Suzanne

Thanks, Suzanne and Chris2. Wise.

Somebody just sent me an email saying that I had implied that there will not be a cure for spinal cord injury after reading the above and suggested that if he/she could not walk again, he/she would rather commit suicide. I am sorry that I started the answer to the "Will there be a cure for spinal cord injury?" with a question concerning the definition of cure rather than a definitive "YES". Let me quote myself so that there is no misunderstanding:
    I believe that there will be effective therapies that will restore function to people with spinal cord injury, including touch and pain sensations, bladder and bowel function, erection and ejaculation, and motor control including long-distance walking.
    Wise.

Hey at least stick around for awhile and see how it all turns out.

Dr. Young,
    When you have time, can you give a little more detail about the difference between denervation and spinal cord damage? From what I have read it seems like denervation is related to peripherial nerves.

I have to say the FES not working does worry me a bit. I may be wrong but it sounded like you were saying that repairing my spinal cord would not be enough. I would need to repair other major peripheral nerves too.

I know there several options for reproduction but I asked about Fertical because it was the past of least resistance. I'll talk to a urologist about it.

It is very interesting you believe I experienced some kind of ischemic event or compression. I would side with compression because of I do have a history of back problems but I find it hard to believe that my own force of standing up on a board could have enough force to cause paralysis. Only Dr. Kerr and 2 other neurologists have taken that into consideration.

I surfered a back injury similar to a hyperextension in high school while wrestling. I am 28 now. The pain was actually similar to the pain I felt when I was surfing but when I was paralyzed most doctors dismissed it. Maybe it's because it was 10 years ago. Anyways the pain was very similar in that it made me feel light on my feet as if my equilibrium was off, was a sharp pain, and only lasted a few minutes. I took a day or 2 off and was fine after that.

When I was in college I suffered another back injury while lifting weights , this time it was so bad that I could barely walk. I don't think this was the same injury as the one in high school. It was more like pulling your back out from lifting something heavy. The pain made my legs weak. In fact I don't think I was able to go to class for a few days. When I was good enough to move around I went to a chiropractor who took xrays and side I had a slightly bulging disk/slipping disk and it was pinching a nerve. I think he said it was the sciatic nerve. I did some physical therapy and some traction and learned specific streches of the hamstring. After a few weeks I don't think it ever flared up again.

All of this showed up in xrays when I was in Hawaii but they said the bulging dish and the schmorl's node were all very common.

My stroke neurologist Dr. Wong from Oahu, who was great by the way, theorized that if he took into account history, there have been cases where fragments from a disk can somehow get into the blood stream and cause a clot of some sort. It is extremely rare but he said it could happen.

at this point I'm not sure if it even matters how I was hurt by the curiosity of it drives me nuts sometimes.

Thanks for the words.

WAD
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Wise Young:

WAD, the more you describe your condition, the more it sounds like you had an ischemic episode that resulted in damage to your lower spinal cord. The fact that you have some sensation is consistent because axons are less susceptible to ischemia than neurons. Please don't be discouraged, however. For the first time, I am beginning to see glimmers of hope regarding neuronal replacement. I was particularly encouraged by the recent work by Doug Kerr's group showing that mouse embryonic stem cells produces some neurons in the spinal cords of paralyzed rats (see below). This is just the beginning.

Wise.

I believe that there will be effective therapies that will restore function to people with spinal cord injury, including touch and pain sensations, bladder and bowel function, erection and ejaculation, and motor control including long-distance walking.
    this is the best definition of cure of SCI.
    i haven´t more funtions in my body .
    i don´t understand what´s the problem of misunderstanding.
    excuse my english.

I didn't understand how getting all those things back isn't 1000 times better. I don't think there is a single SCI person who wouldn't be happy if they just got a 50% return.

Hang in there if you're out there.

Originally posted by Isildur:

excuse my english.

Walk, give me a little time to write something up. Wise.

Dr.Wise, this has been on my mind for awhile, and i have to ask this. Say in 4 years i have a 2gen surgery done, and then in 4 more years 3gen comes along, can i still have this done too, or am i stuck with what i have from the 2gen?

"quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

excuse my english."

I think I know what Wise means. If you had all this then, yes, you would fool a third party and could lead a much more 'normal' life. BUT, if you can recall exactly what your functions were like pre injury then there would still be deficits by comparison. Being able to do long distance walking and feel sex then in a way we're being greedy asking for more!! But able bodied people, especially in their twenties, take for granted that they can sprint a 100 metres in under 12 seconds if you train, run a marathon if you train, climb sheer rock faces if you train etc etc

Long distance walking and sex sound pretty good from where I'm sitting!