Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 646474849505152535455565758596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Wise, Kessler wants a spinal cord treatment to be avalable for his daughter (paralyzed from car accident). He indicated on an interview that he was positive about a therapy coming to fruition , but stated he thinks a long time away. What differences are there between your trial therapy and what he is working on?

keeping on
    Keeping on,

You know what I am doing. What Kessler is doing?

I like and admire Kessler for his desire to help his daughter. He is not, to my knowledge, doing a spinal cord injury trial on any therapy.

Wise.

Thank`s DOC

Good to hear from you again, I was beginning to worry

can you also please answer this,

Doe you know what kind of approach of teraphy they need to be regenerated ?
    Are they more difficult than others injuries to regenerate ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Johnnie Walked; 08-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Wise, I have no idea what Kessler is doing. I asked why he says things are going to be awhile before anything happens. You say you respect him, as do I. Is he aware of your work and understand your timetable?

Thanks,

keeping on

Wise, I have no idea what Kessler is doing. I asked why he says things are going to be awhile before anything happens. You say you respect him, as do I. Is he aware of your work and understand your timetable?
    keeping on,

If you go to Kessler's webpage at http://www.kessler-rehab.com/ . you'll see that it makes no mention of the institute doing research. It does rehabilitation

Under the Research and Education tab, see Current Research studies. You will note that Kessler does not claim to do any research. They do sponsor 4 research projects by other groups.

It would seem to be in their best interest not to say a cure is near. Their patients need rehab anyway. If they said, oh, we think there will be an effective treatment in a year or two, their patient's might say, "I'll just wait for the treatment. Thank you." Regardless, their patients would be worse off.

Besides, no one knows when an effective treatment will be available. Dr. Young is in clinical trials, not clinical treatments.

kh thanks for the info. My research does say that Kessler is doing research. His daughter who suffered s apinal injury is his impetus to finda treatment . I don't know what his reasearch is but he is doing research. His term of success was in the future, but could happen sooner rather than later. I do know that the impetus of human trials is progressing and there is hope for us. We just need to bre patient but folllow the testing and outcomes. I can't help but believe that if the trials are successful with no negative results, we are entering a new age. .
    Good luck and keep abreast for all of us.

kh thanks for the info. My research does say that Kessler is doing research.
    Sorry, I didn't read far enough. In the following paper: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu.../KesslerJ.html , Dr. Kessler states:

Our laboratory focuses on the biology of embryonic stem cells and neural stem cells. We are interested in defining mechanisms regulating neuronal and glial differentiation of stem/progenitor cells, and on understanding how growth factors promote neuronal and glial survival and phenotypic expression. These studies seek to identify the cytokines that regulate stem cell proliferation and differentiation, to define the intracellular signals that transduce their effects, and to understand how the effects of different growth factors are integrated by the progenitor cell. Although the principal focus of these studies is on definition of mechanisms underlying stem cell differentiation, a significant effort is also devoted to applying molecular neurobiology to clinical problems. Specifically we are developing techniques for the treatment of spinal cord injury and stroke.

So, it appears that at that time he was more interested in basic stem cell research than specific applications. But, I'm certainly ignorant of his current work.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
    Thank`s DOC

Good to hear from you again, I was beginning to worry

can you also please answer this,

Doe you know what kind of approach of teraphy they need to be regenerated ?
    Are they more difficult than others injuries to regenerate ?

Thanks in advance
    Johnnie W.

I believe that people with gunshot wounds recover in the same way as others. If the injury is severe, it is like an ASIA A. There is some recovery in the segments close to the injury site but long tract recovery is rare. If the patient is incomplete with sacral sparing or preservation of motor function far below the injury site, I believe that such a patient will have a good probability of recovering more function, similar to the recovery of an incomplete ASIA C.

I do not agree with the pessimism that many clinicians have concerning gunshot wounds, unless the bullet is left in the spinal cord. Unfortunately, the pessimism itself becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Some doctors, based on mostly anecdotal evidence, tell patients that they are not going to recover from gunshot induced spinal cord injury. In my experience, I have seen people with incomplete gunshot injuries improve. I have seen people with ASIA A injuries also improve to about the same extent as somebody who had their spinal cord injury from a car injury.

Wise.

People who do not know me are amazed when I tell them I am a Quad/Tetraplegic. Some say they didnt know we could walk, some didnt know we could move at all. And I think some dont believe me period. There is no doubt that I know it.

If ppl is in doubt, why not more take a travel, no matter how far, but to check things out…

Thank you so much, for you replay
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature