Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 54546474849505152535455565758596061626364 LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Banned
    Dr. wise?
    I am new to the forum but been injured since august 1992 T4 complete as a result of a GSW. why does it seemt hat people like myself who have sufferd GSW seem to be left out in alot of the clinical trials?

by GSW do you mean gun shot wound?

Strict,
    I have been on an on and off campaign on this website to get people not to use acronyms. It has been pointed out to me quite often that there is a thread that converts these acronyms to English, but it is never available or in a form that is usable when they come up. I think you are correct GSW does stand for Gun Shot Wound.

The best,
    GJ

yes it does
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by BigMilt View Post
    Dr. wise?
    I am new to the forum but been injured since august 1992 T4 complete as a result of a GSW. why does it seemt hat people like myself who have sufferd GSW seem to be left out in alot of the clinical trials?
    Dr. Wise,
    Please, what cen you tell me About what kind of damage GSW gives to the cord, but the bullet does not touch the cord, only the vertebral column at T4,T5. What kind of damage get the cord from this tremendous impact from the bullet to the vertebral column, I can imagine, but I like you to explaint to me please.
    Is it axons, motor neurons etc, and how difficult are these injuries to regenerate

Thank you so much in advance
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I am not Dr. Young, but I do know a little about GSW to the spine. Often there is considerable spinal cord damage even if the bullet does not go through or into the cord tissues. GSW are associated often with damage to soft tissues from the shock wave generated through them from the bullet, often at some distance from the actual path of the bullet. This shock wave can rupture delicate nervous tissue cell membranes, resulting in death of neurons, and can also cause significant edema of unruptured cells. In addition, bullets generate significant heat, and can literally "cook" local soft tissues, include nervous tissue. I am not sure if this is also directly the reason that people who have GSW causing their SCI often have significant neuropathic pain, but it certainly is often associated with these injuries at higher rates than in other traumatic causes.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD, you rock !!!

Doe you know what kind of approach of teraphy they need to be regenerated ?
    Are they more difficult than others injuries to regenerate ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Johnnie Walked; 08-11-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Waiting ur reply Dr Young
    keep (rolling) Walking

Wise, Kessler wants a spinal cord treatment to be avalable for his daughter (paralyzed from car accident). He indicated on an interview that he was positive about a therapy coming to fruition , but stated he thinks a long time away. What differences are there between your trial therapy and what he is working on?

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
    Waiting ur reply Dr Young
    Johnnie,

I disagree with KLD's view, which reflects what most clinicians think. In my experience, there is no big differences in the recovery of patients from severe traumatic spinal cord injury and gunshot wound (GSW) induced spinal cord injury. They both show similar patterns of limited recovery, usually in the segments immediately below the injury site. The only major difference is when rarely the bullet actually enters the spinal canal and bullet fragments lodges in the spinal cord. In such a case, I believe that the bullet fragments should be removed.

Most of the pessimistic views of GSW-induced spinal cord injuries came from experiences with care of soldiers with gunshot wounds in Vietnam. We should remember that this was during the 1960's, when methylprednisolone was not used and the patients were left to lie in bed for many months before they were mobilized. The patients were told not even to try to walk. Wartime gunshot wounds are also different in that higher velocity bullets are used and many patients also had severe blood loss and hypotension. It is not surprising that such patients seldom walked.

There have been several studies of civilian gunshot wound induced spinal cord injury at Ranchos Los Amigos in Downey, California. Those studies indicate that there is no difference in the pattern of recovery that occurs. In other words, if you have ASiA A from a GSW, your recovery did not differ much from an ASIA from traumatic spinal cord injury. Likewise, if you have an ASIA B or C from GSW, you recovered significantly, similar to other spinal cord injuries.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 08-28-2010 at 06:39 PM.