Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by bqwong View Post
    Looking for a "cure" seems to me that you are hoping for a quick fix. Retraining is the answer. Have a look at Project Walk - Google it. Amazing results.

Just finished a course there with my son and in the 4 weeks we were there we saw several improvements. Not a quick fix but progress by any means is still progress. We left with a complete program of what to do to continue progressing.

May not be for all but any good information is information worth sharing.
    bqwong,

Thank you for your post. Project Walk is of course very familiar to people here and many have gone there or to other organizations. I am not sure that was your intent but you sound dismissive of many people who have spent years trying to restore function through repetitive strength building exercise and have reached the limits of what such exercises can do. They are not waiting for a quick fix. They want therapies that restore function. Such therapies are not only possible but imminent. We need to all push for the goal of restoring function, whether by regeneration, remyelination, or rehabilitation.

Wise.

Love this part:
    "Such therapies are not only possible but imminent"

Wise, thank you from all of us. Immenint would be nice, but we've got to see to believe,

As Immenint as it is.
    How long would be a fare estimate like 2015 or 2050? I live for sooner but don't hold my hope's up, as to much from past experience.

Sorry for being sad sack but i have been hearing this type of information for years. Like its not far now the rats are walking (like twenty years ago) and im still waiting, and i still hate this bloody disability and chair.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    As Immenint as it is.
    How long would be a fare estimate like 2015 or 2050? I live for sooner but don't hold my hope's up, as to much from past experience.

Sorry for being sad sack but i have been hearing this type of information for years. Like its not far now the rats are walking (like twenty years ago) and im still waiting, and i still hate this bloody disability and chair.
    CAS, I hear you. It is frustrating to watch and hear about rats walking. That is what will continue to happen unless we get more clinical trials going. Five years ago, I started going to China to organize clinical trials because it did not look like anything was going to happen soon in the United States. Last year, we started to organize clinical trials in the U.S. even though there is no funding for such trials. I am hopeful that it will be done and much faster than many people expect. The problem is that hopelessness becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. I don't know how long it will take. All that I know is that without hope, we will have nothing.

Wise.

As Immenint as it is.

Wether we like it or not, cure progress is on us, in every single spinal cord injured person. The more we do, the faster we'll get there.

Sadly, most people fail to realize that simple thing. Hence the current situation.

That simple.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Ox, Wise ha said trials are to start in China NOW. USA TRIALS SOON AFTER. There is clear evidence of stem cell treatment in other area beginning or in existence today. You are right to push and encourage us to push for a clear track to trials, hopefully with success. Everybody has to board this express now and push for results. As I said, I feel there will be treatment for acutes in the future; our goal is for chronics. Wise owes us an update on China and get the ----ing thing moving. Let's keep our focus and keep enduring.

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Wether we like it or not, cure progress is on us, in every single spinal cord injured person. The more we do, the faster we'll get there.

Sadly, most people fail to realize that simple thing. Hence the current situation.

That simple.
    Yep In total agreement

Dr Wise I had read an article on using Nano tech to make a bridge along the spinal cord itself for the nerves to grow along.
    Is there any chance that this is right and could there be any use of the artifical cells to repair the spinal cord in the near future?

Dr Wise I had read an article on using Nano tech to make a bridge along the spinal cord itself for the nerves to grow along.
    Is there any chance that this is right and could there be any use of the artifical cells to repair the spinal cord in the near future?
    Two groups working on developing aso-called nanotechnology to make a bridge in the spinal cord. One is the University of Hong Kong where Rutlege Ellis-Behnke, Wutian Wu, and Kwok-Fai So are using self-assembling peptide to repair the brain and spinal cord. The other is Northwester University where Jack Kessler is hoping to repair injured spinal cords. We recently began to work with the self-assembling peptide, using it in combination with stem cells.

Wise.