Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Dr Young I had surgery in sept 05 for a herniated disc,In january 06 I was on a forklift plattform that broke and dropped me 10 feet . 4 feet into fall both arms hit a shelf bending my back backwards,then I hit the ground.I did not feel hurt just a ball feeling in thoracic area. My symptoms came on slow,It was hard to breathe,My legs became sluggish and deadish,thoracic pain shooting down back,right leg goes where it wants.I went to several doctors that just gave me pain meds,I seen a Neurosurgeon that said his work was fine and he didnt see anything on the thoracic or lower lumbar mri,s. I went to a physiatrist she sent me for traction, This helped while being pulled appart ,I could breathe and pain would stop. The D.P.T said I cant keep pulling you appart so you can breathe there must be internal damage.I went back to physiatrist she orderd bone scan,T8 Increased abnormal tracer die vertebral body also increased die L5 S1.She took films around to surgens they said to put me in a hyperextension brace right away. They felt T8 was a comp fracture. This was hard to do back was really hunched and I was bent over at hipps.This helped me walk some and breathe a little better.I was told that I had a very early stage A.V.N. in both hips and a decompression might help straighton me up and bring life to my deadish legs.That really didnt help much. Each time the doctors tried weining me off brace on increase of thoracic pain legs would increase in deadihness,and it would be harder to breathe.I started falling down all the time. My physiatrist retired and gave me to someone else,I have seen more doctors and surgeons that said they really didnt see much.I continued to try to wein of brace each time my symptoms got worse to a point of dragging my legs.Right leg is worse also goes dead ,right foot does not land right, Pain in right testicle can drop any man. Several times fighting through pain W.O. brace paralysis sets in ,we put the brace on I get legs back this is allways when pain level is 12 ,THEN its short out time Im down in bed 3 to 10 days breathing is really hard a scary thing half breath,s .Thoracic pain like the gates of hell you cant sit or stand long then you get spasams from thoracic down bam bam bam bam then I inprove with rest enough to walk lapps in the yard and sometimes I start getting better Bam another short out. Each time I short out theres more damage I fear paralysis or worse.
    Last edited by lespaul; 09-28-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I did find a SCI doctor he has given me baclofen for hyperreflexia he said you have a spinal cord injury .I cant tell why the paralysis comes and goes. Baclofen took me off the couch in the middle of a bad shortout and helped with the spasams .I found a neurolagest that felt T-7 T-8 there is a small central disc osteophyte complex that results in minimal ventral cord flattening. Minimal loss of disc height and T2 signal at T-7 T-8 .There is a reversal of the cervical lordosis,and there is cervical degenerative disc disease I really hope I posted this at the right place this time lol ,I seen a ortho surgeon he doesnt think spine is unstable . Compression fract not bad . Where do I go for the answers? Why are most doctors so uneducated in S.C.I. Allmost 4 years of searching for a answer ,a doctor treating me allmost 2 years explained I can not have S.C.I. because I can walk ,Im sorry for posting at wrong place
    Last edited by lespaul; 09-28-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cdurfee99 View Post
    my bitterness stems from the fact that doctors screwed me up, and my injury is t12, rendering me ineligible for any trial and/or future therapy. not to mention 10 years old. this leaves me with little to no hope for any recovery through medicine. am I wrong dr. young?
    cdurfee99,

While I can understand why you are bitter, I don't think that there is any reason for you to say that there is "little to no hope for any recovery through medicine." I hope that you are not getting such a negative outlook concerning lumbosacral spinal cord injury because of what I have written. If so, let me try to say it again. Let me first describe about the difference between regenerative and neuronal replacement therapies. Regenerative therapies get the axons growing and sprouting. These axons must have something to connect with. If the neurons that they are supposed to connect to have been damaged, regeneration alone is not sufficient. We would need to replace and restore the neurons as well.

Severe lumbosacral injuries damage the motoneurons that innervate the muscles. If the damage is extensive, therapies that just stimulat regeneration may not be able to bring back significant motor function in people who have damaged the lumbosacral spinal cord. In order to get full motor function back, you will probably need both regeneration and neuronal replacement. Neuronal replacement has been shown to be possible with neural stem cells. We currently don't have a good source of neural stem cells that are ready to go into clinical trial but many researchers are working very hard on this problem.

The fact that we don't have neuronal replacement therapies does not mean that regenerative therapies will do nothing for people with lumbosacral injuries. Regenerative therapies should improve sensation. Improving sensation may restore ejaculation and orgasm. It may restore bowel and bladder function. Last but not least, if the injury is not too severe, it may restore some motor function. Most people have only partial injuries to the lumbosacral spinal cords. For these people, regenerative therapies should restore some function.

Doug Kerr at Johns Hopkins has shown neural stem cells derived from embryonic stem cells can replace motoneurons in the spinal cords of mice. These motoneurons not only send their axons out the ventral roots to innervate muscle, they can receive signals from the brain and the rats are able to walk better. So, such treatment as possible. Research needs to be done to make these therapies a reality for human. A lot of work needs to be done and we need immune-compatible sources of neural stem cells to make it so.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-28-2009 at 06:33 PM.

dr. wise i'm a c6-c7 complete. when your trails work will we still have to deal with ad? also i remember you saying hands were in a gray area what about controlling temperature? i love to be able to sweat.
    thanks!
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Is this promising at all for restoring motor neurons Wise:

Antioxidant Controls Spinal Cord Development: Neuroscientists Discover New Molecular Control

ScienceDaily (Sep. 18, 2009) — Researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine have discovered how one antioxidant protein controls the activity of another protein, critical for the development of spinal cord neurons. The research, publishing this week in Cell, describes a never-before known mechanism of protein control.
    “This is the first time we’ve seen this type of chemical reaction control neuronal differentiation,” says Shanthini Sockanathan, Ph.D., an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Solomon H. Snyder Department of Neuroscience. “And it’s probably not specific for motor neurons that we study, but also for development of a wide variety of neurons.”

Previous research had shown that the GDE2 protein can cause immature cells in the spinal cord to differentiate into motor neurons, the nerve cells that connect to and control muscle contraction. Too little GDE2 causes motor neurons to not develop, while too much GDE2 causes them to develop too quickly, depleting progenitor pools.

“We reasoned that there must be tight control of GDE2 so we set out to look for the regulator by looking for other proteins that can bind to GDE2,” says Sockanathan.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124300
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

rdf, this is of interest but I am not sure that it is such a big breakthrough. It is another clue concerning the various factors that influence the differentiation of stem cells. Oxidation has long been postulated by Mark Noble as a critical factor in differentiation. It is not surprising the anti-oxidants have an effect on differentiation as well.

At the present, we (and many others) can routinely grow neural stem cells and neurons from embryonic stem cells, fetal neural stem cells, or adult stem cells. Professor Mari Dezawa at Tohoku University in Sendai, Japan has successfully grown neurons from mesenchymal stem cells obtained from bone marrow.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by cripple4life View Post
    dr. wise i'm a c6-c7 complete. when your trails work will we still have to deal with ad? also i remember you saying hands were in a gray area what about controlling temperature? i love to be able to sweat.
    thanks!
    C4L, I don't know. That is why we are doing the clinical trial.

Autonomic dysreflexia (AD) is a result of disconnection of sympathic and parasympathetic pathways in the spinal cord. In many people, these pathways (composed mostly of catecholaminergic axons) can and do regrow. Many people with C5/6 injuries will tell you that they started out always feeling cold and would easily overheat but they got better over years. I think that this is probably a result of spontaneous regeneration.

Sweating is something that olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG) transplants seem to restore in Dr. Hong-yun Huang's patients. Almost every one that I examined told me that they had gotten sweating back on their chest and I can feel the dampness on their skin, compared to before surgery when they would be dry. I don't know if umbilical cord blood cells would do the same.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

..... Professor Mari Dezawa at Tohoku University in Sendai, Japan has successfully grown neurons from mesenchymal stem cells obtained from bone marrow.

Wise.
    Wise,

how difficult is to grow neurons from mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow at the moment, in comparison with grwing neurons from hESC or IPS?

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Wise,

how difficult is to grow neurons from mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow at the moment, in comparison with grwing neurons from hESC or IPS?
    Paolo,

I don't know if you remember the first scientist who claimed to have done grown neurons from bone marrow stromal cells. Ira Black did it in 1999 at UMDNJ. He was a good friend and I was able to see how hard it was firsthand. Anyway, lots and lots of people tried to repeat it, including Ira. It was hard. It happened only once in a while. Many people questioned whether the cells are neurons. The cells never behaved like neurons after transplantation into the spinal cord.

Mari Dezawa, according to her papers and presentations, not only can do this consistently almost every time but she was able to get the cells to repair rats with Parkinson's disease and other injuries. I am in awe of what she has done. I think that much of it is her ability to grow cells, an instinct for what they need. Her recipe for doing it is quite complicated but very detailed and specific. She has formed a company called Sanbio in the U.S. to take these cells to clinical trial. http://www.san-bio.com/

It is a lot easier to grow neural stem cells from embryonic stem cells or neural stem cells isolated from fetuses or adult brain. We do this routinely in the laboratory. Any student can do it. From IPS, it is more difficult but I think that depends on the quality of the IPS. Most IPS cells begin to lose their pluripotency after a while and are more difficult to maintain and differentiate.

Wise.

Thank you Wise for the clarification, I remember about Ira Black, I was very sad when he passed away.

Paolo