Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

FAQ #1: Will There Be A Cure For Spinal Cord Injury?

I just posted the detailed documented answer to the first question: Will There Be a Cure For Spinal Cord Injury? at http://wiseyoung.wordpress.com/2008/...l-cord-injury/. Merry Christmas to everybody!

"In summary, there are many reasons to be optimistic that there will be not just one but many “cures” for spinal cord injury. I defined a cure as a treatment that would make it so that an observer who did not know you wouldn’t be able to tell that you have spinal cord injury. I believe that there will be a cure because much data indicate that the spinal cord can regenerate and many therapies restore function in animal studies. One or more of these will be shown to be successful in people in the coming years, hopefully sooner rather than later. At the present, we don’t have the clinical trial infrastructure to test all the therapies that have shown promise in animal models. It is likely that some combination of the therapies will provide cures. However, we must be aware that the translation of findings from animal studies to human clinical trials will not necessarily be smooth and there will be bumps along the way."

- understood and a huge THANK YOU

MERRY CHRISTMAS Dr. Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FAQ #2: When Will the Cure Be Available for Spinal Cord Injury

I posted the detailed answer to the second frequently asked question: http://wiseyoung.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/182/

Well I guess you can say that is great news, as long day you can mentally physically hold on for another 10 years, another 10 years that would be 22 years in a wheelchair 52 years old, I think a lot of us will have passed on the too far out of shape,
    personally don't think I will be around that long with a C3 complete, I can not except 10 more years, hopefully maybe someplace else different country without role of bureaucratic red tape will have something sooner. Sorry to be negative but think about it 10 years... but keep on working at a repair for the injury.

if we are willing to participate, why can't they run the trials on us? even if there were a .000001 chance that it would help, i would volunteer to be a lab rat. and i'm sure i'm not the only one. why test on rats, when actual people with SCI will do it?

FAQ #3: Will the Cure be for Chronic Spinal Cord Injury?

Here is the third of the series of articles on Frequently Asked Questions...

http://wiseyoung.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/

Some very impressive information. thank you for your hard work on these articles , all are very well done.
    oh well

Thanks Dr. Young, informative and promising articles. Is this a misspeak here; do you mean sufficient, rather than insufficient:
    Spasticity and spasms are proof that the spinal cord is alive and kicking. People who have flaccid paralysis below the injury site may have had some damage to the spinal cord below the injury site. However, this does not necessarily mean that the spinal cord is “dead”. It does mean that there is insufficient excitability to cause spasticity and spasms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Last edited by Wise Young; 01-04-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks Dr. Young, informative and promising articles. Is this a misspeak here; do you mean sufficient, rather than insufficient:
    Spasticity and spasms are proof that the spinal cord is alive and kicking. People who have flaccid paralysis below the injury site may have had some damage to the spinal cord below the injury site. However, this does not necessarily mean that the spinal cord is “dead”. It does mean that there is insufficient excitability to cause spasticity and spasms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

Thanks for pointing these things out. I need proof-readers. However, in this case, I think that I do mean insufficient excitability to produce produce spasticity or spasms.

In my experience, the spinal cord below the injury site is seldom "dead". I use to think this, particularly in people who describe a condition that sounds like a conus injury. A conus injury denotes an injury to the tip of the spinal cord that innerves the bladder, anus, and pelvic area. If it is damaged, neuronal replacement therapy is necessary. Sometimes, I would think from the verbal description that a person has had a conus injury (Source), only to find that the person has some sparing. Even conus injuries often show evidence of some neuronal activity in the sacral segments.

So, when people tell me that their spinal cord is "dead" below the injury site and that they don't have any reflexes in the legs, I usually ask quite a lot of questions to make sure that it is so. Some people may be taking high doses of baclofen. Others may be hyporeflexic but they still have some reflexes, like the withdrawal reflex or Babinsky. The only way to tell for sure about the excitability of the spinal cord is to do electrophysiology. One can stimulate the cord and look for the H and M waves.

For many years, people talked about the spinal cord being in "shock". Spinal shock mean absence of reflexes and was first described by Sir Charles Sherrington in monkeys, after he cut their spinal cords. I must say that I have seldom seen true spinal shock in patients that last longer than several days in patients.

Wise.

spasm's REF. FAQ 3

Dr wise young you say that christopher reeve got some function back after year's .Do you know if he got any stemcell's or any Drugs to make this happen or was it strong spasm's ref FAQ 3 For i have strong spasm's and have not lost any muscle tone 3 year's past t6-10 complete I do all the exercise standing up EX EX i am on 120 mg a day of baclofen i try all other drug's stil no good if i go for a Baclofen pump it will stop my spasm's but it will but me back if a cure come's along any suggestion