Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Lee, I am trying to write a summary of 2005 advances in therapies of spinal cord injury. It has been overwhelming me because so much has happened. I will try to post it as soon as I can. In regard to your question:
    • Timeline of safe and effective therapies. Much depends on several efforts around the world to get clinical trial network started. Unfortunately, most of the clinical studies around the world have been solo efforts without much coordination or resources. I believe that there will be much more information coming out in the coming year from efforts in China, Europe and the U.S. I have several articles concerning time lines on this site but most of these were written several years ago and therefore out of date.
    • Saving eggs. In my opinion, scientists are moving beyond eggs as the sole source of embryonic stem cells. More important, somatic cell nuclear transfer does not require the person's own eggs. There is promising research showing that fusion of somatic and embryonic stem cells can produce stem cells.
    • Weight loss. It is particularly difficult for people with spinal cord injury to lose weight because the option of exercise is limited and more difficult to implement. The only answer is diet. You may want to check out your thyroid function. Some people with spinal cord injury may have low thyroid hormonal levels. This may account for the weight. Perhaps others will have suggestions.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Dr. Young
    I am new to this forum and SCI (7 months post). Trying to digest all this information here and on the internet is overwhelming. I have a lot of questions for you so I apologize if I'm rambling. On the first page of this thread "top 10 questions" was from late 2004. Could you give me in your opinion an updated timeline of available, safe and effective therapies that would change my condition. I also want to know if embryonic is the way things will go as a "cure", should I take to having some of my own eggs frozen for future use? I'm in my late thirties so now would be the time before I run out so to speak. And lastly I want to take off like 25 pounds, could you suggest some exercises that would help.

I also wanted to say, it is so refreshing to have someone like you looking out for people like us. Thank you!

Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Lee, I am trying to write a summary of 2005 advances in therapies of spinal cord injury. It has been overwhelming me because so much has happened. I will try to post it as soon as I can.
    This will be great reading Wise. I’m looking forward to this and I’m quite sure everybody on this board is. Thank you for your efforts and the energy you put into this.

Wise

Thank you for the helpful information. I look forward to seeing your new information; would you be continuing with it on this thread or starting a new one?

Exclamation Mr Wise..is This Hope Or Not?

http://beike@stemcellschina
    MR WISE COULD YOU PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT AND SEND ME A REPLY?THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO.

TONY

Exclamation Sorry Mr Wise I Think This Is It

I would be extremely, extremely, happy to get bowels, bladder and walking back.

Deb
    "Save the last dance for me!"

Quote Originally Posted by tony89103
    tony, I have no knowledge of this place in Shen Zhen Beike. In my opinion, they have no evidence for efficacy. There are many places in China that are taking advantage of people and offering to all sorts of experimental therapies for pay. This place apparently wants to infuse umbilical cord blood intravenously into people for money, saying that this is beneficial. Please be very careful. Not only is there no evidence that this is beneficial for spinal cord injury, there are some risks.

Make sure that you know what they are offering and the risks and benefits. Umbilical cord blood transfusions, even when well-matched, can cause graft versus host disease, i.e. immune cells from the umbilical cord blood attacking the body's cells. How close are the matches? How will they monitor secondary complications? Are they planning to cover your hospitalization and care if you have complications? What recourse do you have, if something goes wrong? These are questions that you should be asking.

We are planning to implant umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cord of patients with and without lithium. This probably will not happen until next year (2007) because we are working hard to establish a facility that can deliver GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certified cells for transplantation. We are carrying clinical trials to establish the risk and benefits of such therapies. If the trials are successful, then the therapies will be available to everybody.

Wise.

Starting in July 2006, I will take a one year sabbatical in Hong Kong.

Wise.
    Dr. Young, will you continue to participate on CC or will you appoint an interim admin. during your leave?

Quote Originally Posted by seneca
    Dr. Young, will you continue to participate on CC or will you appoint an interim admin. during your leave?
    Sen, so far, despite having been all over the world, I have managed to connect up to Internet and the CareCure. Hey, maybe I should find a person to take over. People must be getting pretty tired of me by now (sorry, I am not fishing, just musing that nobody can post so much on a web site as I do and still have something useful to say).

Internet is pretty global and probably better in Hong Kong than it is in the U.S. I am in Shantou right now (on the northern coast of Guangdong province) and I have pretty good broadband. The only problem is that it won't allow me get into the regular google , as you might have heard. So far, however, I have not found any site that I cannot get into. So, all the so-called internet restrictions they are supposed to have here in China don't appear to be so restrictive.

Wise.

Thumbs up Thank You Dr.young

tony, I have no knowledge of this place in Shen Zhen Beike. In my opinion, they have no evidence for efficacy. There are many places in China that are taking advantage of people and offering to all sorts of experimental therapies for pay. This place apparently wants to infuse umbilical cord blood intravenously into people for money, saying that this is beneficial. Please be very careful. Not only is there no evidence that this is beneficial for spinal cord injury, there are some risks.

Make sure that you know what they are offering and the risks and benefits. Umbilical cord blood transfusions, even when well-matched, can cause graft versus host disease, i.e. immune cells from the umbilical cord blood attacking the body's cells. How close are the matches? How will they monitor secondary complications? Are they planning to cover your hospitalization and care if you have complications? What recourse do you have, if something goes wrong? These are questions that you should be asking.

We are planning to implant umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells into the spinal cord of patients with and without lithium. This probably will not happen until next year (2007) because we are working hard to establish a facility that can deliver GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certified cells for transplantation. We are carrying clinical trials to establish the risk and benefits of such therapies. If the trials are successful, then the therapies will be available to everybody.

Wise.
    I AM C6-C7 INCOMPLETE,PLEASE ADVISE WHEN TRIALS ARE AVAIABLE AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO GO WHERE-EVER.THANKS AGAIN.

TONY