Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Jawaid,

I have not visited the Nan Shen hospital. I have seen their web sites but don't know what they are transplanting and the results of their work. I will try to visit them sometime to find out.

Based on the patients and information that I received from Kunming, I am not confident that the procedure is producing much functional recovery in patients with chronic spinal cord injury. Some of the patients did get some recovery after the surgery but it was not clear that it was due to the transplants, as opposed to the decompressive surgery that they did. On the other hand, on my last visit, I saw several patients who appeared to have gotten some recovery when they were transplanted in the first few weeks after injury.

The main issues that you and others should consider regarding the fetal transplants is that the cells are not matched for the patients and, in my opinion, are likely to be rejected within a few months. Some of the Chinese doctors believe that fetal cells are not rejected and there may be some basis for this belief since fetal neurons are transplanted into patients for Parkinson's disease and, in some of the patients, there is evidence that the cells may survive for years after transplantation. This may be because neurons are not as immunogenic as other cells, such as Schwann cells.

The work that Chinese doctors are doing with fetal transplants in China is not yet convincing, even to most Chinese doctors. In my visits to many hospitals in China, I have heard many of the Chinese doctors tell me that they are not doing fetal cell transplants because their experience is that it is not helping the patients as much as they would like. The exceptions are places like the ShiShan hospital where Dr. Hongyun Huang is transplanting fetal olfactory ensheathing glia and the Chengdu Army General Hospital in Kungming where Dr. Zhu is transplanting fetal Schwann cells. Even in China, the fetal transplantation work is very controversial and most Chinese doctors are quite skeptical that they do much.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid
    Dear Young

Thanks for giving contact numbers. I have contacted Dr. Zhu through my good friend in china. She said that i will try to get permission for your treatment from the authorities as she said that hospital is army related. I will be able to find out her answer in few days. Hope for the best and will tell you. In case if Dr. Zhu is unable to get positive reply from the authorities then what should i do? I need your help and please reply for my below given concerns.

1. I have heard about a Bio Company Beike. They are treating SCI Patients with fetal schwaan cells too at Nan Shen hospital china with some results. Dr. HU is doing this treatment. They have treated about 10 patients now but patient's injury was two years old while mine six years. Tell me in case if Dr. Zhu is not treating whom should i go? Either Dr. HU or Huang for OEC?

As i am incomplete L1 and walking very easily so i want to get the treatment. May be i can improve some of condition? What you suggest me wise? I will follow you only? You can email me if any personal.

Sincerely

Jawaid

Dear Dr. Young

Thanks again for all the info. Now please tell me what i do and where to go for treatment? Dr. Zhu or Hongyun Huang? As you know i have only lost bladder, bowel and sexual function so keeping this all before you please tell me what i do? You can suggest it through emailing to me at muradjawaid@hotmail.com.

Or if there is any treatment at any other place i will wel come your advise.

God bless you.

Jawaid

Sorry Dr. Young

Dear Dr. Young

Sorry to tell you but Beike is using Umbilical Cord Blood Cells to treat SCI Patients at Nan Shen hospital. I came to know today through stemcellschina.com. Please Dr. Young tell me some thing about these cells? Can these cells prove to be safe and having such good results on SCI Patients? Should i try these injections or look for Dr. Zhu and Huang?

Hope you will advise me in best.

Jawaid

Jawaid, we will be testing umbilical cord blood stem cell transplants in ChinaSCINet. On their own, I am not sure that they will do so much. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid
    Dear Dr. Young

Sorry to tell you but Beike is using Umbilical Cord Blood Cells to treat SCI Patients at Nan Shen hospital. I came to know today through stemcellschina.com. Please Dr. Young tell me some thing about these cells? Can these cells prove to be safe and having such good results on SCI Patients? Should i try these injections or look for Dr. Zhu and Huang?

Hope you will advise me in best.

Jawaid

Dear Young

I am waiting your suggession regarding treatment option. Please tell me where i should try my luck? Dr. Zhu, Dr. Huang or Nan Shen Hospital for Cord Blood Cell treatment?

As i was Medical Student before injury so i know little and am not much hopeful about the recovery but i just want to have a chance. Actually i am getting help of my Government being a medical student. Though i could not continue my studies due to injury and financial crisis but i don't want to miss chance for being treated. May be i can get some function back.

Please advise me.

Jawaid

Dr Young,

Wise,

I read a post somewhere (sorry, could'nt find to quote from) in which you mentioned that you plan to test therapies to restore hand function to quads at chinascinet. Whilst very admirable, please can you reassure me that the ultimate goal is for more return than that - my 25 yr old sister is C6 and only 2 years post injury - i think this slightly disheartened her as her aim is to walk again, to have her hands back would be nowhere near enough and surely possible?

Many, many thanks

Adam

Adam,

I think that I was responding to another person who thought that the goal of the clinical trials was just to make people walk without restoring their hand functions. I had written to assure that person that it is likely that the treatments would not only have effects but are likely to affect arms and hands first. Don't worry, we are not planning to stop with the arms and hands.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads32
    Wise,

I read a post somewhere (sorry, could'nt find to quote from) in which you mentioned that you plan to test therapies to restore hand function to quads at chinascinet. Whilst very admirable, please can you reassure me that the ultimate goal is for more return than that - my 25 yr old sister is C6 and only 2 years post injury - i think this slightly disheartened her as her aim is to walk again, to have her hands back would be nowhere near enough and surely possible?

Many, many thanks

Adam

dido !

Could spinal cord cyst removal return certain functions?

Hello,

My 25 year old daughter, who was very physically fit, had a rock climbing accident June 2004. She is now a T8 complete paralysis injury. She experiences lots of pin prick and finger touch sensations in both legs. There is a large amount of leg tone but no voluntary leg control. She has no pain with her injury. She has had an MRI that shows a cyst at her T8 injury. She was not receptive to the oral dosages of Baclofen and another medication and is going to be scheduled for an implanted Baclofen pump. The leg tone inhibits her from being more independent with her hygiene and dressing herself.

I would like to have the cyst removed to see if some voluntary leg control returns; however, the neurosurgeon waves this off like it is nonsense. He prefers to just monitor it for future growth and to proceed with implanting the pump. Should I just go along with this or seek another neurosurgeon who would be willing to try reducing the size of the cyst or even removing it?

Thanks for any response.

Tampa Daddy,

In my opinion there is no way of physically "removing" a syringomyelic cyst cyst without damaging the spinal cord and eliminating what little function that she may have and causing significantly true scarring at the injury site. There are two ways to reduce the size of the cyst. One is to shunt it by placing a catheter inside the cyst. The other is, if there is significant arachnoid adhesions to the spinal cord blocking cerebrospinal fluid flow, meticulous removal of these adhesions should collapse the cyst. Shunting alone usually will collapse the cyst but it usually recurs within a year. Removal of adhesions will eliminate the cyst in 80% of the cases. Most American neurosurgeons are reluctant to operate on the chronic injured spinal cord because of the fear that they may damage the cord and because they are not convinced that this would restore any function.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa Daddy'O
    Hello,

My 25 year old daughter, who was very physically fit, had a rock climbing accident June 2004. She is now a T8 complete paralysis injury. She experiences lots of pin prick and finger touch sensations in both legs. There is a large amount of leg tone but no voluntary leg control. She has no pain with her injury. She has had an MRI that shows a cyst at her T8 injury. She was not receptive to the oral dosages of Baclofen and another medication and is going to be scheduled for an implanted Baclofen pump. The leg tone inhibits her from being more independent with her hygiene and dressing herself.

I would like to have the cyst removed to see if some voluntary leg control returns; however, the neurosurgeon waves this off like it is nonsense. He prefers to just monitor it for future growth and to proceed with implanting the pump. Should I just go along with this or seek another neurosurgeon who would be willing to try reducing the size of the cyst or even removing it?

Thanks for any response.