Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by damagedgoods
    why is a full facial transplant, just successfully done, doable ... Of course, American doctors are calling the breakthrough in France as ethically questionable.
    The Cleveland Clinic was looking to do this a few months back (trying to find the perfect patient) and they were beaten by the French.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I want a peripheral nerve graft done to regain bladder sensation and control - I ask for nothing more. At this point, I would be willing to re-mortgage my condo to do this ... but it would have to be completely successful.

Why can't nerves be grafted from donors? (Perhaps a dumb question?)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

lynnifer, will be interesting to see if the peripheral nerve graft is proven to be effective before the mechanical device. I'm betting on the mechanical device - at least it's removable if it doesn't work. Do you remember the article on the guys from Duke who are working on an electric stimulator? Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I want a peripheral nerve graft done to regain bladder sensation and control - I ask for nothing more. At this point, I would be willing to re-mortgage my condo to do this ... but it would have to be completely successful.

Why can't nerves be grafted from donors? (Perhaps a dumb question?)
    lynnifer, there are such things as peripheral nerve banks. At New York University, for example, they use to maintain a cadaveric peripheral nerve bank (I don't know whether they are doing so any more) to provide grafting materials. All the cells are allowed to die in the nerve (so that the cells are not rejected) but the connective tissue scaffolding of the nerve remains. It works but not as well as fresh nerve from one's own body. Wise.

xmas

I'd love even a miniscule cure for next christmas. What's the outlook for 2006? If it is the same ol' thing, I guarantee you that I won't be alive by next xmas. What the f--- is going on here? I was expecting big things by 2007, because I was told by some of the top pioneers in research that by then, there would be substantial improvements. I was told this in 2002, and today 2007 looks no better or hopeful than right now.
    When does hope become pure delusion? My hope is for partial improvements, and if this is delusional, then SCI really is unfixable..and will always be so.

Dear Sir

I’m Dr. Mostafa Shohieb ; Orthopaedic Surgeon ;
    Alexandria University Hospital ;
    P.O.Box 130 El-Saray ;
    Alexandria 21411 ;
    EGYPT.
    I’m Interested in Spine Surgery ; Traumatology ; Paediatric orthopaedics and Medical business .
    I'd like to be an emenant doctor in managing PARAPLAGIA with STEMCELL therapy; so please send me details about it specially :
    • Doctors interested and doing it.
    • Any products ( Drugs………..etc) approved or in its way of approval indicated in such situations.
    Hoping to be an active member in your mailing list.
    Best regards ;

Dr. Mostafa Shohieb ; Orthopaedic Surgeon ;
    Alexandria University Hospital ;
    P.O.Box 130 El-Saray ;
    Alexandria 21411 ;
    EGYPT.

Question for Wise

When the cure does come are we going to gain control of our bladder and sexual function? The reason I,m asking is that I have two friends that are SCI one was a C 5-6 and the other was T 12 and when they left hospital they could walk perfect but neither had sexual function and they both had to use self cath. This seems to be the last thing to return. I,m wondering when we get this injecton will be walking around and also need to self cath. This is the most important thing to me to get back. Walking is a issue surly but I desperately need sexual function and need to be able to know when I have to go to the toilet.

Thanks

Hello - I have a question. Is Schwann cell transplant currently available and at what point following an injury is it appropriate? We have been told that nerve connections can regenerate for the first 2 years following the injury. Would one wait that long to consider Schwann cell transplant?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by EDD
    When the cure does come are we going to gain control of our bladder and sexual function? The reason I,m asking is that I have two friends that are SCI one was a C 5-6 and the other was T 12 and when they left hospital they could walk perfect but neither had sexual function and they both had to use self cath. This seems to be the last thing to return. I,m wondering when we get this injecton will be walking around and also need to self cath. This is the most important thing to me to get back. Walking is a issue surly but I desperately need sexual function and need to be able to know when I have to go to the toilet.

Thanks
    EDD,

Bowel/bladder/sexual (BBS) function is often the last functions to recover in people with spinal cord injury. However, it does recover in many patients. Much depends on the level of the injury. Paradoxically, injuries to the lower parts of the spinal cord that mediate BBS function may be most difficult to repair. Details of the injury are very important and I don't think that there is a single solution to recovery of BBS function. Please tell me more about your level of injury.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 12-22-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riplavin
    Hello - I have a question. Is Schwann cell transplant currently available and at what point following an injury is it appropriate? We have been told that nerve connections can regenerate for the first 2 years following the injury. Would one wait that long to consider Schwann cell transplant?
    Richard
    Richard, very good question. Schwann cell autografts are being done now in China. It had been done by Tim Volmer when he was at Yale before he moved to Barrows Neurological Institute and I believe that he is restarting clinical trials in Arizona. There has not been enough experience with such transplants to know the best time to transplant.

Wise.