Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Good to hear

I wel come your advise. Please now find me the best spinal surgeon for me anywhere in the world and give me the address as i could contact them.

Tell me one thing. Will decompression surgery bring good results as my injury is few years old now? Have you seen any patients like my kind of injury being treated and recovering after few years compression?

I am waiting reply from you and please find me the spinal surgeon and it's address. God bless you.

Jawaid

There is of course no guarantee of recovery. On the other hand, I think that it is common sense that you do not leave your spinal cord compressed. The longer the compression remains, the less the likelihood of recovery. I wrote a review of some of the benefits of decompression earlier http://carecure.org/index.php?page=v...mpression.html

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid
    I wel come your advise. Please now find me the best spinal surgeon for me anywhere in the world and give me the address as i could contact them.

Tell me one thing. Will decompression surgery bring good results as my injury is few years old now? Have you seen any patients like my kind of injury being treated and recovering after few years compression?

I am waiting reply from you and please find me the spinal surgeon and it's address. God bless you.

Jawaid

Thank You

Hello Dr Young,
    I'm a new member here, and I would like to thank you for your input to the site. Your time spent as a patient advicate/educator is worth as much as your time spent in research etc.
    It means so much to have a Doctor to talk to, who doesn't spend half his time censoring his statements. The fact that you tell people "I don't know, but will try to find out" is priceless.

Are there any new treatments/studies for degenerative disc disease?
    I had fusion surgery for L4-5, I had herniated discs with impingment, and after surgery had partial (most) loss of motor function and sensory function below the site. After 3+ years of PT I can now walk with a cane, and recovered some feeling, starting from the groin down. I always had control of urine flow but at first couldn't feel when I started/stopped. All of the hydraulics worked for sexual function, but I had no feeling, some feeling has returned now.
    After all this I would like to repair the discs I have left to prevent future injury.
    Thanks again.

There is a lot going on. Because disc disease is so prevalent, many companies are going after this market. Many people are trying to identify the genetic origins of the condition, others are thinking of doing gene therapy, while still others are considering stem cell therapies. I am glad that you are back up walking. In the coming year or two, I am expecting that there will be therapies that can repair discs. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Belt
    Hello Dr Young,
    I'm a new member here, and I would like to thank you for your input to the site. Your time spent as a patient advicate/educator is worth as much as your time spent in research etc.
    It means so much to have a Doctor to talk to, who doesn't spend half his time censoring his statements. The fact that you tell people "I don't know, but will try to find out" is priceless.

Are there any new treatments/studies for degenerative disc disease?
    I had fusion surgery for L4-5, I had herniated discs with impingment, and after surgery had partial (most) loss of motor function and sensory function below the site. After 3+ years of PT I can now walk with a cane, and recovered some feeling, starting from the groin down. I always had control of urine flow but at first couldn't feel when I started/stopped. All of the hydraulics worked for sexual function, but I had no feeling, some feeling has returned now.
    After all this I would like to repair the discs I have left to prevent future injury.
    Thanks again.

Wait for December

Dear Young

I think you will be able to find some good news regarding treatment of my kind injury at Hong Kong when there will be many Scientists to represent their work and results. I do hope that you will keep me remember and try to find any reasonable treatment for me. Decompression surgery at Kunming can be useful for me once you take some info from them.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely

Jawaid

Cervical v Thoracic/Lumbar/Sacral

Dr Young,

Was wondering if you could comment - I read somewhere that a Cervical injury will be enevitably easier to 'cure' / 'regenerate' than that of the same lesion but at T, L OR S level. Is this simply because of the smaller surface area, for example

thanks in advance

Dr Young,
    I remember one of your replies mentioned 3 out of 4 people who undergo OEG treatment have shown a result of 1 or 2 levels of improvement in motor and sensory function. Does it follow on that a c4/5 quad has a 75% chance of improving to c6 or c6/7, therefore having a real chance of becoming almost fully independent. $25,000 seems a small price to pay for such a result.
    Thank you for all your help and information

Quote Originally Posted by smithpl
    Dr Young,
    I remember one of your replies mentioned 3 out of 4 people who undergo OEG treatment have shown a result of 1 or 2 levels of improvement in motor and sensory function. Does it follow on that a c4/5 quad has a 75% chance of improving to c6 or c6/7, therefore having a real chance of becoming almost fully independent. $25,000 seems a small price to pay for such a result.
    Thank you for all your help and information

Go to http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18100 for the poll results of 18 people from this site who went to Beijing. The sensory return averaged at least 4 dermatomes (levels) but motor recovery was more modest. Many of the people also reported better trunk stability. Longer term (>1 year followup) on about 20% of the patients suggest that the functional return does not recede with time. Since most of his patients are chronic (>1 year) and he did not expose the injury site in the last 400 or so patients that he did, this suggests that the effects are not due to decompression of the sinal cord. As Dr. Huang pointed out, this treatment is not a cure. For some people, it is not enough.

Wise.

Thanks for the info Dr Young, however I would like to know what you would do if you were a totally dependent c4/5 quad with an opportunity to take a risk to become independent, immensely decreasing your wife's workload and while increasing her's (and yours) quality of life.
    I hope this question is not impertinent. It's not meant to be.
    Regards

Dear Dr. Young

Can you bring me in contact with doctors who are doing some good work at Army Kunming Hospital and you are too impressed by their results. As i have just compression at my injury level so may be i can get some good chances for recovery? Please tell me if any other doctors are doing stem cell treatments in china having good results. I am really desperate to go china for treatment.

Jawaid