Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

It's great Wise! I've sent it to my family and friends. Maybe the effect of womens sexuality is a littl lacking though.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

dr young will dr haung treat me with fetal oeg cells,chondroitinase,rolipram,cylic adenosine,monophosphate,an dhea. i'm a t-11 burst fracture with asending escema to my t-5 complet injurd june 24 2000 . thank you dan sheean

Emi, Sorry, I was in a bit of hurry when I wrote the blurb this morning and I had an early meeting that I had to attend. I will try to amplify a little on women's sexuality.

dan#3, I am not sure that it is a good idea to try the "everything but kitchen sink" approach to a cure. Cure, like everything else in our body, requires a careful balance. It is not a good idea to blast them with everything. Like too much water or fertilizer will wilt a plant, too much will stop growth. I am hoping to gather some of the resources for combination therapies so that Dr. Huang and other doctors can start testing them in a rational way.

gettinup, yes, pink bubbles.

Rollin' Rick, I love it when people are ambitious. If our government will invest a billion per year, I think that kind of rate of progress that you are talking about can be achieved.

Isildur, its good news.

Wise.

Dr. Young...thanks for the post. Much like Emi, I have sent this out to all of my family and friends. Please keep up the good work.

"Another day that I can't find my head...My feet don't look like they're my own...I'll try and find the floor below to stand...I hope I reach it once again" ~Norah Jones

Dr Young, thank you very much for the summary. Can't tell you how much my family and I appreciate this site and the knowledge that you give us.

A question on osteoporosis. I have not had a bone density test done, should I? I was walking with a walker 5 weeks after my operation. Do people who walk reverse the osteoporosis or is it a problem for all people with SCI?

Thanks again. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003

Dr. Young thanks for all the information. I have a question regarding the tendon tranfer. Is it an irreversible procedure. My fiance is a c6-c7 quad. I truly believe there will be something to help her in the next few years or I make myself believe this. I would like her to wait to see what kind of therapies will be around in the five year range. She is one year post, accident was on 7/12/03. She is 26, I think she is still young enough to benifit that far out. Once again thank you for all your effort.

Wise, great post. In your timeline for a "cure" procedure, is that in the U.S.? Or will it be sooner in other countries?

JOE

MikeC, I suspect that you don't have much osteoporosis if you have been walking. In general, I think that most people with spinal cord injury should check their bone density at a year after injury. It is not low, there is probably no point in checking again until there is reason to suspect that bone density is low. However, if it is low and you are receiving treatment for the osteoporosis (e.g. bisphosphonates and parathyroid hormone), it probably should be checked annually. My philosophy is that one should not check unless there is intention to treat or to change treatment. Wise.

350zc5c7, tendon transfers are not usually done with the intent of reversal. I suppose that it is theoretically possible to reverse a tendon transfer after the "cure" but that situation has not yet occurred and I don't know of anybody who has tried. A tendon transfer does not compromise too much function and it probably is not worthwhile to do a reversal procedure.

For those who are worried that their age or the length of time after injury may disqualify them from the cure, I want to offer some reassurances. In my opinion, age or time after injury is not necessarily an obstacle to treatments to restore function. It is possible that regeneration may take longer in an older person and reversal of muscle/bone atrophy may be harder to achieve in people with long-term injury. But, I think the therapies should still work.

I still remembers some pictures that Richard Bunge of Miami Project showed me about 8 or 9 years ago, of axon terminal endings in a spinal cord of somebody who had died more than 20 years after injury. At that time, we thought that such terminal bulbs were axons that had stopped growing but Jerry Silver has argued that these are just frustrated growth cones. Neurons are the longest lived cells in the body and I think that they continue to try to regenerate for as long as they are alive.

JoJo, when I wrote the above, I was thinking about the United States and I was referring when I think treatments will have been shown to be effective rather than when they will be going into clinical trial. It will be only after the treatments have been shown to be effective that they will be adopted and practiced by doctors, and covered by insurance. However, I want to say that my guess is just as good or bad as anybody's. I don't have a crystal ball to predict funding or politics.

Wise.

I have a few questions regarding your FAQ

When you say something will be available in 8 years do you mean available to the public or available for clinincal trials on humans?

Is it true that the success rate of a treatment or surgery that can restore function or improve quality of life is inversely porportional to the patient's post-injury time? 1 year is better than 10 years?

If that's the case, one would have to decide between waiting for a safer and better procedure in the future or taking advantage of the window of opportunity now, right?

FES does not seem to work below injury (T-8 to t-10 lesion & 2 years post). When I use FES I don't see my muscles move. Does that mean it's not working? Why is that?

Is 1 hour a day on the standing frame enought to prevent Osteoporosis?

WAD