Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon
    Quote Wise: "As you can perhaps see, there are many people who would like to see these therapies arrive sooner rather than later."

Well this seems understandable. Every month, every year that goes past without a cure is time lost to sci - time when one is unable to partake in so many of life's pleasures and the freedom to go wherever one wishes.

The worry is that this will not happen in our life times or within in a reasonable timeframe to enjoy the benefits - nevertheless let's hope that there is always some sector of the medical research establishment trying to achieve the goal of sci repair so at least future generations can benefit.
    Christopher, may I suggest that there is much to do to make sure that clinical trials are started in New Zealand? Wise.

My niece has the right attitude....

Dr. Young,
    My niece was injured while practicing gymnastics. Dislocated her c3-& 4. She initially had no feeling below her neck. Now, 2 months after her injury, she has feeling in her back muscles and the ability to feel pin pricks in her upper arms and legs. She also knows when she moves her bowels and can tell you if her shoes are too tight. Dr. Young - just how encouraging are these signs at this point of her recovery? My niece is a fighter.....she was initially depressed but now feels lucky just to be alive. She has hope and is determined to walk again.
    At one point she was off the vent for 3-4 minutes at a time but had a set back with pneumonia.

Thanks again for everything you do.
    Last edited by Uncle Steve; 09-22-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Steve
    Dr. Young,
    My niece was injured while practicing gymnastics. Dislocated her c3-& 4. She initially had no feeling below her neck. Now, 2 months after her injury, she has feeling in her back muscles and the ability to feel pin pricks in her upper arms and legs. She also knows when she moves her bowels and can tell you if her shoes are too tight. Dr. Young - just how encouraging are these signs at this point of her recovery? My niece is a fighter.....she was initially depressed but now feels lucky just to be alive. She has hope and is determined to walk again.
    At one point she was off the vent for 3-4 minutes at a time but had a set back with pneumonia.

Thanks again for everything you do.
    Uncle Steve, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. I think that what you describe are very hopeful signs. I am optimistic that she will get more back. The only way that I know of dealing with the situation is to take it a step at a time. She needs to get off her respirator. If she needs help with phrenic nerve or diaphragm stimulation, she should do it. The next step is to get home, to utilize whatever technologies that are available (computers, FES stimulation, etc.) to become as independent as possible and to keep her body from deteriorating as a result of the injury. She still has much recovery ahead of her but it will be slow. In the meantime, she should know that there are many scientists who are working their hearts out day and night to achieve therapies that will restore function.

Wise.

Any Suggession for me Dr. Wise

Dearest Dr. Wise

Hope you will be fine. It is always encouraging to e-mail you and take guideline. As you may know i am 26 and SCI patient ( L1 Fracture ). Walking very well but have lost feelings of bladder, bowel and sexual function.

As every time you help us so please let me know if there is any treatment in the world which i can get and recover. As you say there vis lot of going in China so please tell me if any treatment in your eyes for my kind of injury. There are lot of treatments as Dr. Kleinbloesem in turkey and Dr. Yihua An in china. Also you said about another center in Tienjin China showing good results with Schwan cells. Please help me because your advise can make my life worthwhile. If you think i should wait still then also tell.

Sincerely

Jawaid

Jawaid,

The discussions here on this forum represent the best information that I know concerning various therapies that are being tried around the world. Given you situation, I would be patient and wait until therapies are proven before trying them. You are walking.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Uncle Steve, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. I think that what you describe are very hopeful signs. I am optimistic that she will get more back. The only way that I know of dealing with the situation is to take it a step at a time. She needs to get off her respirator. If she needs help with phrenic nerve or diaphragm stimulation, she should do it. The next step is to get home, to utilize whatever technologies that are available (computers, FES stimulation, etc.) to become as independent as possible and to keep her body from deteriorating as a result of the injury. She still has much recovery ahead of her but it will be slow. In the meantime, she should know that there are many scientists who are working their hearts out day and night to achieve therapies that will restore function.

Wise.
    Dr. Young,
    My brother mentioned that my niece is currently on medication to help stimulate her diaphragm. In your opinion, is there any medication that you feel is better than another? Also, have you seen more success with a particular type of therapy over another to help the phrenic nerve?
    (www.samanthaslusak.com).
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=18986
    Thanks.

Dr. Young,
    My brother mentioned that my niece is currently on medication to help stimulate her diaphragm. In your opinion, is there any medication that you feel is better than another? Also, have you seen more success with a particular type of therapy over another to help the phrenic nerve?
    (www.samanthaslusak.com).
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=18986
    Thanks.
    Is the drug called theophylline? There is some discussion about it at this topic
    http://carecure.org/forum/archive/in...p/t-38417.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Is the drug called theophylline? There is some discussion about it at this topic
    http://carecure.org/forum/archive/in...p/t-38417.html
    Dr. Young,
    Yes, she's on theophylline. I'm glad for that.
    One more follow up question.....
    Ever since the accident my niece has had low blood presure. Dizzy spells when she sits upright. Is there a better solution to bring her levels up than salt tablets?
    Thanks again.
    Uncle Steve
    www.samanthaslusak.com

Dr. Young,
    Yes, she's on theophylline. I'm glad for that.
    One more follow up question.....
    Ever since the accident my niece has had low blood presure. Dizzy spells when she sits upright. Is there a better solution to bring her levels up than salt tablets?
    Thanks again.
    Uncle Steve
    www.samanthaslusak.com
    Uncle Steve,

This is common. Spinal cord injury compromises the blood pressure reflex that the body initiates when a person sits or stands up. She just needs to be systematically brought to the vertical position slowly and progressively so that the reflex recovers. This happens with many people after cervical spinal cord injury and I hope that others will comment about this. It will get better.

Wise.

Timeline of goals

I wonder if someone could post a timeline of steps or goals on the way to achieving a treatment or “cure” for SCI. What are the obstacles that need to be overcome? I realize a big question is "How does something like a stem cell know to produce the correct cell?" This is a concern that needs to be addressed first. What other options are being developed? How far along are researchers? In the U.S. and abroad?

Or if there is something like this already, where is it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by aton; 10-04-2005 at 01:47 PM.