Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC
    Dr Young, I agree that I would only have such a procedure after close consulation with the surgeon who has a proven track record. Do you have any indication that someone in the US might start doing this type of procedure in the near future?

Mike
    I believe that the peripheral nerve grafting will come from plastic surgeons rather than neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons. They are already doing these procedures for the facial nerve. What surgeons do emanate from their training. For many years now, the peripheral nerve field had been dominated by plastic surgeons for most of the body, shared between plastics and orthopedics for the hand, and the neurosurgeons do the spinal roots and the some of the cranial nerves. So, I will look in the plastic surgery literature and see who is reporting such procedures. I know a couple of plastic surgeons who are doing spinal cord injury research. Wise.

Hello:

I'm going to Beijing on September for the OEC surgery and I would like some feedback from anyone that had this procedure and if recover any movement back.

I'm a quad C4-5 incomplete.

Dr Young, just wanted you to know that I saw your post and will be interested in what you find in the literature on plasic surgeons. I'm in no rush - like I said I'll investigate thoroughly before giving up something through a nerve graft. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

MikeC, one very good plastic surgeon who has been doing quite a lot of nerve rerouting is Julia Terzis who is Director of Microsurgical Program at the Eastern Virginia School of Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia. http://jkterzis.com/

Wise.

Please help...

Recently (last Saturday) a close friend of mine had a severe accident rafting down a river near San Antonio, TX. She suffered a spinal cord injury. The MRI and CAT scan came back negative for a broken back or neck. Thats the good news. There is swelling on her spinal cord and she has no feeling from her belly button down. She did have steroid shots immediately after the accident. I saw her yesterday and she seemed to be in decent spirits.

I am seeking advise for what is going to happen next... what types of therapy, medicines, etc... Also answers to thinks like... how long (average) and of course will she walk again?

Hi Wlaney, well that sucks. it's so early it's hard to say how she'll turn out, if she's not in a top SCI spinal cord injury center you'll want to check them out, i know theres a couple of them in TX and someone here should point them out. ask a lot of questions and do a lot of reading. after she's stablized good hard physicall therapy is so important.

sorry you gotta be here
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Wlaney
    Recently (last Saturday) a close friend of mine had a severe accident rafting down a river near San Antonio, TX. She suffered a spinal cord injury. The MRI and CAT scan came back negative for a broken back or neck. Thats the good news. There is swelling on her spinal cord and she has no feeling from her belly button down. She did have steroid shots immediately after the accident. I saw her yesterday and she seemed to be in decent spirits.

I am seeking advise for what is going to happen next... what types of therapy, medicines, etc... Also answers to thinks like... how long (average) and of course will she walk again?
    wlaney, you will need to get some more information.

Spinal cord injury is very variable. If your friend has any feeling around her anus or ability to contract her anal sphincter, this would suggest that she is "incomplete" and she is likely to recover substantially. However, recovery takes many months. If she has not been already, she may need surgery to stablize her fracture site. All of this will be very disruptive and she will go through the roller coaster ride of emotions associated with spinal cord injury. In the coming months, she will need a lot of support for friends and family. She will need or reorganize her life. In the meantime, many researchers are trying to find therapies that restore function. As you can perhaps see, there are many people who would like to see these therapies arrive sooner rather than later. I believe that there will be therapies that restore substantial function to people with spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Dr. Young Thank You

Dr. Young
    you are a great inspiration for us, please continue your mission
    I am certain that the cure will come and we will celebrate ...
    Regards,
    Joanna

Question

Would sexual function be restored

Quote Wise: "As you can perhaps see, there are many people who would like to see these therapies arrive sooner rather than later."

Well this seems understandable. Every month, every year that goes past without a cure is time lost to sci - time when one is unable to partake in so many of life's pleasures and the freedom to go wherever one wishes.

The worry is that this will not happen in our life times or within in a reasonable timeframe to enjoy the benefits - nevertheless let's hope that there is always some sector of the medical research establishment trying to achieve the goal of sci repair so at least future generations can benefit.